Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
mtb'er
4,202 Posts
Had a great time up there last weekend. Didn't get as much riding in as I wanted, but beers and lake time were somewhat of a distraction :D

Rode Elephant Rock one day, then up Slickrock, clockwise around Emigrant, Alpine, Alpine cut-off, Cape Horn and back down Slickrock the next. A really fun ride!

Note- the southern portion of "Mtn Bike Trail" on the Elephant Rock loop is pretty much toast... unused and overgrown, and overtaken by cows.

Some pix:

One of my favorite places:

Elephant Rock Lake rest stop:

Tyrone Shoelaces smokin' the "Mtn Bike Trail":

Slickrock babyheads:

Exiting Emigrant (fun trail!):

Alpine Cutoff:

The Dardanelles, as seen from Cape Horn:

Starting down Cape Horn... such a fun trail:

Gratuitous meadow shot:

Coming down Slickrock was much easier :thumbsup:

My buddy's tracks attached.

Attachments

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Just got back myself. Stayed at Silvertip campground. Yesterday road Osborn>Alpine Bypass>Bee Gulch>Reba>Upper>Lower Ring>Lodgepole>Slabs>out and back on Upper Tamarack>Corral Hollow >Secret> out and back Blood Ridge?>BV-Alpine>to camp

Today stopped off at Big Trees to do the fireroad loop around the South Grove. Been there done that, won't need to do that again.

Sorry, I misplaced my camera so no pics. They would have looked similar to MtBr's

·
Registered
567 Posts
Sounds cool Fred the Secret trail should have been in good shape I did some chain saw work at the start of the season. My family has been riding it.

·
2,546 Posts
It was called Secret about four years ago when Jody showed it to me near the bottom of Elusive. The first 200 yards were really over grown. I was able to bush whack until the trail became obvious.

Does that trail in front of the gargoyle feature above the residential area have an official name?

On Upper Tamarack about 50 yards from the west highway end is a trail heading north. Where does it go?

·
Registered
567 Posts
If Secret is what I think it is it is kept that way on purpose to keep the motorcycles off it. Does it end in the old sub? Not sure about gargoyle feature?? Lets ride this year.

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
I've heard the trail near the gargoyle feature called "Super Elusive" by Paul at the XC shop. (if it's the trail I think you're talking about) The few times I've ridden it, it's been trashed by motorcycles and the dust is probably 4 inches deep in places.

Never tried the trail off of Upper Tamarack.

·
2,546 Posts
Rick O'Shay said:
I've heard the trail near the gargoyle feature called "Super Elusive" by Paul at the XC shop. (if it's the trail I think you're talking about) The few times I've ridden it, it's been trashed by motorcycles and the dust is probably 4 inches deep in places.

Never tried the trail off of Upper Tamarack.
I don't think this it. This little jewel is only about 6-12" wide and zero dust. The very top of the trail traverses, near the peak, at the base of the gargoyles.
On Google map, I can see a pronounced trail above them. That's probably the moto mess.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Empty_Beer said:
Tyrone Shoelaces smokin' the "Mtn Bike Trail":
TYOS's is back on the bike? Riding trails like that after getting shoved off the road into a ditch in Auburn?? Awesome man.:thumbsup: Took me 6 months and 2 opperations.:eek:
Snipit from Waynes World playing in my head now.....

·
Registered
567 Posts
Fred,
"On Upper Tamarack about 50 yards from the west highway end is a trail heading north. Where does it go?"

Goes to the small subdivision called Sherman Acres. I think a couple of hundred yards long or maybe longer. I haven't ridden it in a while

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
NIce.

fred-da-trog said:
I don't think this it. This little jewel is only about 6-12" wide and zero dust. The very top of the trail traverses, near the peak, at the base of the gargoyles.
On Google map, I can see a pronounced trail above them. That's probably the moto mess.
Looks like a great area out your way Fred. When are you hitting it up again??

·
2,546 Posts
JMac47 said:
Looks like a great area out your way Fred. When are you hitting it up again??
As a state corrections employee, I get to bank my furlough days and use them just about anytime. As far as the near future, only Aug 8&9 are out.

PM me and we'll figure it out.

·
Registered
519 Posts
My wife and I have just started looking at buying a vacation home in dorrington/camp connell area. didn't realize the mt bike options were this good in the area. I like a good cross country ride but, would love to hear if there are any trails that may be more on the "free-ride" (jumps/drops) side of things. Where's the best source of trail info for the area, I thought there was a relatively new shop in Arnold?

If anyone has suggestions on good areas to buy a place that have winter access other than dorrington/camp connell, would love to hear about them.

Cheers

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Fred,
Did you ride with Paul last Wednesday? I guess he took a group on one of the local secret trails. The other locals have been holding out on me. On Sunday morning I came across a short fun trail less than 300 meters from my cabin.

Also rode Cow Camp and Lower Cow Camp 95% ridable IF you know the way- feels like X-country riding as the trail is covered in needles and overgrown. Almost impossible to follow unless someone shows you the way or if you have been on it before.

Fun ride Saturday- Thanks everyone!
BV>Alpine>Alpine Bypass>Cape Horn>Hwy 4(keeping it legal)>Stanislaus Meadow>Sandy Meadow Trailhead>Hwy 4>Mosquito Lake (trun around)>Emmigrant Trail> Stanislaus Meadow> Hwy. 4> Old Highway>Cape Horn>South Alpine>Alpine BV trial to Campground>Hwy 207 to Lower Rings>Lodge Pole>Granite Slabs for about 26 miles. Group stopped but I had time so I did Upper and Lower Tamarack>Cow Camp>Lower Cow Camp> Spicer Road to Stanilaus river to get car about 4 or 5 miles of downhill.

Tio Stinky

·
2,546 Posts
Uncle Stinky said:
Hey Fred,
Did you ride with Paul last Wednesday? I guess he took a group on one of the local secret trails. The other locals have been holding out on me. On Sunday morning I came across a short fun trail less than 300 meters from my cabin.

Also rode Cow Camp and Lower Cow Camp 95% ridable IF you know the way- feels like X-country riding as the trail is covered in needles and overgrown. Almost impossible to follow unless someone shows you the way or if you have been on it before.

Fun ride Saturday- Thanks everyone!
BV>Alpine>Alpine Bypass>Cape Horn>Hwy 4(keeping it legal)>Stanislaus Meadow>Sandy Meadow Trailhead>Hwy 4>Mosquito Lake (trun around)>Emmigrant Trail> Stanislaus Meadow> Hwy. 4> Old Highway>Cape Horn>South Alpine>Alpine BV trial to Campground>Hwy 207 to Lower Rings>Lodge Pole>Granite Slabs for about 26 miles. Group stopped but I had time so I did Upper and Lower Tamarack>Cow Camp>Lower Cow Camp> Spicer Road to Stanilaus river to get car about 4 or 5 miles of downhill.

Tio Stinky

Nope didn't make the Wed. ride. I have a feeling there are a lot of secrete paths in that area.

I'm going to check out some rediscovered ancient indian trails and deer paths near Pinecrest this weekend. You should join us.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Great ride Saturday. Stinky, thanks for showing us your hidden trails. Nice meeting you Stinky, Rick O'Shay and Passenger13. I think Ring is my new favorite trail. A few pics.

Archtop on some Stinky sauce

Stinky

Me OTB

Top of Granite slabs

Arctop and Stinky

Near the end

Me on South Alpine. Last tech section before slickrock.

<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/6014239">Nutballchamp riding Lake Alpine Trail</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user1104756">Rick O'Shay</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

·
my legs are sore
275 Posts
My bike computer read 26.5 miles and 4:10 of actual riding time. Yeah, Stinky showed us some nice stuff hidden away. I can't believe I've ridden past some of those trailheads for years and never noticed them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Fred,
Love to go but I got to stick around the next couple weekends and my bike is up in the hills, If you give me a week's notice might be able to get sick on a weekday. I would love to get up there and do some riding, This year I have been up there backcountry skiing and climbing, and need to check out the riding.

Brett, Paul I will send you a map of the upper trails we rode via email. PM your email Brett. More new trails next time, but closer to Bear.

·
2,546 Posts
Uncle Stinky said:
Fred,
Love to go but I got to stick around the next couple weekends and my bike is up in the hills, If you give me a week's notice might be able to get sick on a weekday.........

We are planning four days of BV camping, riding and just a little debauchery Aug.27-30. Start practicing your hacking cough.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts