Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a decent bit of hiking this spring at Bear Mountain State Park and think that the area would offer some great MTBing. Are there any trails within the park that are open to us? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
There used to be one short loop out of the Anthony Wayne Rec Area parking lot but that was it. I don't know if more has been added but I doubt it.

Agreed, between BM and Harriman it would make for a great riding area.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Absolutely. I'm going to try to do some riding at the West Point Reservation on the fire roads there. Not as good but the topography is steep and there are washouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I need to get up to Fahnestock and find out what kind of progress has been made on opening more trail mileage to us this summer. I have a feeling that if it is successful we may see more opportunities on the west side of the river. What's the status on the potential that was talked about from Sterling down to the NJ border? That will also have a positive effect if it happens.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
We are currently working on a joint project with NYNJTC (americorps team), JORBA and CLIMB to create a plan for phase one of adding more multi use trails in Sterling Forest. Stay tuned for more info.

BTW as part of the state trails council we worked out a management plan with the NYS DEC that states all trails are open to mountain bikes unless signed otherwise...so go explore and don't assume that you are doing anything wrong just because you are participating in a positive recreational activity...don't be oppressed by folks with cultural attitudes towards any one user group.

Check these threads too:

http://forums.mtbr.com/new-york/explore-sterling-forest-ny-877434.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/new-york/sterling-forest-riders-wanted-start-imba-club-866090.html

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
We are currently working on a joint project with NYNJTC (americorps team), JORBA and CLIMB to create a plan for phase one of adding more multi use trails in Sterling Forest. Stay tuned for more info.

BTW as part of the state trails council we worked out a management plan with the NYS DEC that states all trails are open to mountain bikes unless signed otherwise...so go explore and don't assume that you are doing anything wrong just because you are participating in a positive recreational activity...don't be oppressed by folks with cultural attitudes towards any one user group.
^^Awesome! Where do we find the details of that plan?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts