Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bear mauls teen during 24-hour bike race in Alaska By DAN JOLING, Associated Press Writer Sun Jun 29, 8:37 PM ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A 14-year-old girl riding in a mountain bike race was attacked in the dark of night by a bear Sunday and severely injured, but she was able to make a brief 911 call that eventually resulted in her rescue.

The girl suffered head, neck, torso and leg wounds. She underwent surgery and was in critical condition Sunday afternoon at Providence Alaska Medical Center, police said.

"The local bear expert said it's probably a sow grizzly," said Cleo Hill, a spokeswoman for the Anchorage Fire Department. "One has been sighted in the area recently."

The attack occurred along a trail in a 24-hour race put on by the Arctic Bicycle Club in Bicentennial Park. Rescuers had to hike in more than two miles to reach the girl.

The park, on Anchorage's east side, borders on Chugach State Park. Wild animals — from grizzly and black bears to moose, wolves and wolverines — frequent the area. The girl was attacked as she reached a trail.

About 60 riders were entered in the race — a circular route that followed groomed trails used by hikers, bikers and skiers. The race began at noon Saturday and was to conclude at noon Sunday but was canceled after the attack.

Rick Sinnott, a wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, told the Anchorage Daily News that the bear could have been a mother that charged two runners on a nearby trail two weeks ago.

Sinnott went to the scene and posted warning signs, and said the girl was fortunate to be wearing a bike helmet because the bear had bitten her head.

The animal attacked the girl around 1:30 a.m., during the darkest part of the morning.

"It's not light enough to read, but it's light enough to see your way," Hill said of the conditions one week after the summer solstice. Riders could see rocks, trees and the trail but may have been using headlamps or a bike headlight, Hill said.

The girl called 911, and dispatchers heard someone struggling to breathe. She whispered one word — "bear" — and the line went dead, Hill said.

Following procedure for when an emergency call is cut off, dispatchers called the number back. Another rider heard the phone ringing, stopped to investigate and spotted the teen off the trail.

"That rider was able to pick up the phone and talk with the police department," Hill said.

One more rider appeared and stayed until emergency workers arrived. That took courage in the darkened forest, knowing a bear had attacked and could again, Hill said.

"It had to be extremely unnerving, if not terrifying," Hill said.

Police officers with shotguns accompanied medics to retrieve the girl.

Police Lt. Paul Honeman said the family requested that no more information be issued on the girl's condition.

"Their daughter is in a battle for her life," he said.

·
Tossin the salad.
737 Posts
Glad to see that the girl is alive and hope get well very soon.

It amazes me how she did get cell phone signal and then another person heard the phone ring. Talk about god looking our for her.

I think once were out in "Gods Country" I hope not to run into any Mountain Lions or Bears, but my cell and mighty whistle will be my rescue tools on the paths.

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
joelalamo45 said:
Douchebag
Come on Joel, give the guy a break - he's 53 years old after all. I know this because he's posted it about 30 times in the past 2 weeks.

Anyone have any current news on the girl's condition? I had heard something about it, but never realized she was so young.

·
45,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
joelalamo45 said:
We were too busy arguing over 53 year old guys who ride uphill to enjoy the downhill.
Jeez I post something that happened a week ago not knowing it has already been posted and I get nailed to the cross. And for all of your information I am pushing my late forties not my early fifties. If I was in my early fifties I would have known this was posted already having been glued to this site with nothing else happening in my life.;)

·
45,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
onbelaydave
Really Old News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Bear mauls teen Sun Jun 29, 8:37 PM ET

andychrysler said:
Sorry for the misunderstanding, dirtjunkie. I, for one, (and I believe joelalamo as well), was referring to onbelaydave in my/our comments.
Hey no worries, I was being sarcastic right along with you guy's. I can't help my aging fingers can't type as fast as most of you. I started this thread back on the 29th and it took me a week to click the submit button.;)

·
Bad Andy
877 Posts
DIRTJUNKIE said:
Hey no worries, I was being sarcastic right along with you guy's. I can't help my aging fingers can't type as fast as most of you. I started this thread back on the 29th and it took me a week to click the submit button.;)
Ahh - - gotcha.
I am aging as well, and my mind doesn't work as well as it used to.
I think I'm starting to get it now~
Anyway - does anyone have any updates on the girl?

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
andychrysler said:
Anyway - does anyone have any updates on the girl?
Just this:

"This e-mail is from the parents of the girl who was injured this weekend, and it has been posted online elsewhere, so I'm posting it here for those who have asked for updates on her condition. Until the family's names appear in the media, I will be keeping them off this blog out of respect for their desire for privacy:

Dear Family and Friends,

Here we launch the first of what will be many email updates on Xxxx's condition, as we begin what is surely to be an incredible journey. First though, the outpouring of love and prayers from you and our community has been incredible. We are so appreciative.

Although Xxxx has suffered numerous injuries, we feel fortunate. Today's Anchorage Daily News accurately depicts the incident and nature of her injuries. She suffered lacerations and punctures to her neck, right shoulder, torso, buttocks, and right thigh. Despite the severity, she is doing very well.

Xxxx underwent surgery last evening to repair her carotid artery. Surgery went as well as anyone could hope! Today Xxxx will undergo surgery on her trachea and possibly her esophagus. No further surgeries are anticipated.

Xxxx will remain in pediatric ICU for the near term. She is heavily sedated. We appreciate everyone's desire to visit and offer support, but visitation is limited to our immediate family. Also, cell phones are off limits in ICU; therefore, it is best to communicate via email.

Thank you so much for your thoughts, prayers, calls, and emails."

Again, old news. Nothing recent that I can see.

I liked this one as well.

"Getting past it
Enough.

It's time to keep moving forward.

And that's what I did Tuesday night. As the city's post-mauling hysteria boiled, I turned to what keeps me sane: I climbed on a mountain bike and went for a ride. The first ride since Petra Davis got hurt.

I needed it. If you live in Anchorage and haven't done it yet, you probably need it as well. Get out there and feel normal again. Ride through the woods. Make noise and be safe, like you always tried to do anyway. The ride will take over your mind and flush away the dark thoughts that have been lurking there since last weekend. They'll remind you how you have ridden the Hillside for years with no injury worse than the usual scrapes and bruises of our sport.

Let the knee-jerk reactionaries rant about killing bears. In a few days, most of them will fade away when the next shiny distraction is waved in front of them. And they'll still ignore the fact that dogs kill more people in Alaska than bears do. They'll still forget that moose kill more Alaskans than bears do.

As calm slowly returns, we'll still be riding the trails. And we'll face no more danger than we did a week ago.

We'll still be mountain bikers and proud of it. We'll still know that we ride and hang out with the most fun, cool people we've ever known. And the bonds between us will continue to strengthen in the aftermath of the mauling.

But perhaps we'll be prouder than ever because we've seen our friends meet disaster with courage. Like the bravery of Pete's cool-headed response when he found Petra on the trail, and the thumbs-up she gave to the rescuers who were carrying her out of the woods when her body was so broken she couldn't even speak.

What happened to Petra hit home-hard-even for those of us who don't know her personally. It hasn't been an easy week to be a mountain biker in this town.

But in some ways, it's been an inspiring one. "

·
45,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for the update and my thoughts and prayers are with her and her family.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.