Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were on the second ridge on Beehive and found ourselves between two black bear cubs and their mother. We were able to make a lot of noise and throw rocks and eventually they ran west down a steep cove.

Sidenote:tree down at the top of greentown, second or third jump(I will get it next time thru, probably monday). Also my friend lost a pair of goggles on the northern end of steels creek.

·
I HUCK WITH CHUCK
1,319 Posts
Sugar_Brad said:
We were on the second ridge on Beehive and found ourselves between two black bear cubs and their mother. We were able to make a lot of noise and throw rocks and eventually they ran west down a steep cove.

Sidenote:tree down at the top of greentown, second or third jump(I will get it next time thru, probably monday). Also my friend lost a pair of goggles on the northern end of steels creek.
I saw a mom and two cubs at the exact same spot about 3 weeks ago. Same deal...had to make a lot of noise before they would leave.

Also saw a mom and two cubs on lower avery creek trail in brevard, then saw another cub on lower big creek trail last week. That makes 7 in june.

watch out everybody.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Saw a mama bear and 2 cubs on Laurel today. She and her cubs looked fat and healthy. The wet spring has been good for them. I love seeing bears in the woods.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
so happy to read these posts re: happy, healthy bears. yesterday, en route to a heartbreak, jarrett creek, curtis creek, heartbreak ride, i saw one of the biggest black bear of my life, dead on I-40 near the top of the pass; it had been hit by something bigger than it... tragic indeed - a heartbreak before my heartbreak ride. in our fine part of the state - the west - we are lucky to have a relatively healthy population of ursus americanus. however, between roads, hound/hunters, development and changes in climate (thus impacting food sources), our bears are increasingly at-risk. let's continue to give them space, respect and let others know where we see them so as to decrease the potential for negative interactions between our species. thanks for tolerating my preachy tone...
www.zipcodezoo.com

·
XC Champion
289 Posts
I saw a large one on the grassy road (can't remember the trail name) at Coleman Boundary recently. It took off when it saw me - looked very healthy.

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Saw some bears on Laurel Mtn Trail last tuesday. Heard a few but only saw one thru the trees, just kinda walkin around so I just sat and watched.

·
Registered
941 Posts
so far this year: 1 mom 3 cubs on Ox Creek Rd, 1 medium size on curtis Creek Rd, 1 yearling on point lookout trail aka old hwy 70, heard one large one on Jarret's creek rd, good year for bear!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Two weeks ago today I saw a cub at Bent Creek on Ingles Field. There are only a few blind turns on that trail and I was lucky enough to encounter the bear as I rounded the bend. It sprinted down the mountain as soon as it saw me. No sign of momma bear.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
With all of these bear sightings does anyone think that it would be a good idea to ride with bear bells like the folks out west do? It could cut down on the surprise encounters and bad situations like the OP had.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
noises like that are thought to attract bears by some experts. Bells don't scare black bears. It might keep them from being startled but definitely won't scare them away.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Saw a large one on Sycamore Cove trail in Pisgah on Tuesday around lunch. I have never seen one on a trail that close to town. Also been seeing them up around Laurel Mt. and Yellow Gap rd. Anyone know why we are seeing them so much this year? Or have I just been at the right place at the right time

·
That's damn yankee to you
363 Posts
I think I heard somewhere that last fall was considered a good mast year so the bears were well fed and happy and many were surviving. And I guess a happy bear is a fecund bear ;)

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I always consider a bear sighting one of the best things that can happen while I'm in the woods...a sign of true wildness. This includes watching two cubs cross in front of me on Old Toll Road this year with no sign of mama and at least two cub sightings while road biking that I can remember this year . Just keep my distance and thank the stars I was lucky enough to be there at that moment.

·
eschewing obfuscation
319 Posts
Mike Brown said:
I always consider a bear sighting one of the best things that can happen while I'm in the woods...a sign of true wildness. This includes watching two cubs cross in front of me on Old Toll Road this year with no sign of mama and at least two cub sightings while road biking that I can remember this year . Just keep my distance and thank the stars I was lucky enough to be there at that moment.
well said!:)

·
WNC Native
3,929 Posts
Mike Brown said:
I agree!

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
I've seen bear while riding in Bent Creek. Always cool to see a bear.

I spotted a coyote in my back yard a few weeks ago. That was a bit unsettling considering my 3 year old plays back there by himself all the time.

Some of the ******** who live near me put bear traps in their yards. My neighbor's dog went a wandering one day and got itself stuck in a trap. They had to beat the dog just to get it out of the trap. The dog has survived and is back with it's owner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts