Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife, brother-in-law and I did a couple of rides in the Madison Range just south of Big Sky, MT last week. On the morning of our first ride we were greeted by a ranger at the Little Wapiti trailhead. He informed us that there were some 30 Grizzlies active in the Madison Range. A bit spooked, we forged ahead with bear bells affixed to our steeds and Counter Assault Bear spray within reaching distance. After climbing 2,500’ on double track over the course of 7.5 miles, we reached the summit and were rewarded with spectacular views and a single track descent that was so fun, we forgot to stop and take pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ride #2

Ride #2: Again, we climbed the same double track but just short of reaching the summit we veered off onto the Sage Creek Trail for an 11 mile descent into the Gallatin Valley. This time we stopped to take a few snap shots. Thankfully, we did not have any Grizzly encounters. Perhaps the bear bells work after all (although they apparently are not effective in the case of Moose).

Props to Grizzly Outfitters in the Big Sky Meadow Village for providing us with incredibly detailed trail maps. And they were free; I just downloaded them from their website. Very cool.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.