Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
How ironic that I just read a post about a black bear on the Flume, then this. God bless her and I hope she lives to tell this tale. The fact that she is only 14 and riding in a 24 hr event at night proves that she is a tough cookie to start with, so she has a fighters chance. Healing vibes.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Read this on sfgate and also over at the general forum. Crazy how she was still able to call 911 for help, and huge kudos to the other rider(s) who was/were aware enough at 1AM in the morning to hear a cell phone ringing off trail then stopped to investigate and help. Hope she can pull through.

·
MidnightBroomstickCowboy
461 Posts
I wonder how many times this subject will be posted???? this is the 3rd.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Alaskans are hardy folks. Let's hope to God that she survives this! You can't win against nature but you can overcome it with the right circumstances.

·
Registered
36 Posts
bstyle74 said:
Crazy how she was still able to call 911 for help, and huge kudos to the other rider(s) who was/were aware enough at 1AM in the morning to hear a cell phone ringing off trail then stopped to investigate and help.
I was thinking the same thing. The people that stopped to help gave her a fighting chance at surviving this. It would have taken quite a while to find her by 'pinging' (triangulating) the phone signal. Props to the riders that stopped to help, knowing a bear willing to attack a human was somewhere nearby.

I hope the young lady fights through this to a full recovery....

·
Registered
3 Posts
My gf had the Today Show on this morning. I guess its a national story big enough to make it on there. Matt Laur interviewed the EMTs and the rider who found the girl. He asked the rider what he saw and he said of course it was dark but that she was bloody. When he tried to call 911 on her phone it was locked but she was aware enough to tell him the code to unlock the phone. He said he picked her up and moved her away from that area in case the bear was still around. He prolly saved her life.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I grew up in Anchorage. I used to hike and bike all over the Campbell Airstrip road. There is no way you could get me to do a 24hr race there... expecially at this time of year.

Definatly feel bad for the girls family, but the bear probably had more business being there than she did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.