Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd give everyone a heads up, I came withing 15 feet of the biggest black bear I've ever seen while doing laps at Betasso this morning. He was easily the size of a small grizzly.

Most black bears I've encountered in the past are relatively small and skittish but when I inadvertently came withing 15 feet of this guy he didn't move an inch...he just stood there and stared at me.

I rarely see wildlife at Betasso other than chipmunks, birds, and the occasional deer. I never expected to encounter a bear so it took a few seconds for me to realize what was going on. I put the pedal to the metal and completed the fastest lap probably ever recorded. I am pretty certain I could win the Trail 100 by a sizable margin if I had a bear chasing me the whole way.

Has anyone else encountered bear in this area? I'm considering buying a can of bear repellent at REI and sticking it in my water bottle cage and also riding Betasso only with (slower) buddies. I spent some time in Alaska and have encountered a number of black and brown bears while hiking and backpacking but I've never encountered one while biking; it seems like the potential to surprise a bear is much greater since you are moving at such a high rate of speed.

If anyone has advice or experience to share in this area I'd like to hear it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Uh That's nuts. This is why i keep my Ipod in the truck.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Cool. I love bears. I have yet to hear of a black bear attacking a person who isn't asleep somewhere with food in the tent.

I only saw a fox today--at a lumberyard in Boulder. It was a friendly fox.....and very foxy.

Photobucket

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
I just finished kicking a bear out of raiding my garbage can about an hour ago. In this area I think you'd have to run straight into a black bear and insult his mother before it would even start to get a little excited. Can't say I see them as scary anymore.

·
skillz to pay billz
3,554 Posts
I've seen a couple, usually just wave my hands in the air(like I just don't care) and make a lot of noise. They will run off.

Attachments

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
lidarman said:
Cool. I love bears. I have yet to hear of a black bear attacking a person who isn't asleep somewhere with food in the tent.
thump said:
I just finished kicking a bear out of raiding my garbage can about an hour ago. In this area I think you'd have to run straight into a black bear and insult his mother before it would even start to get a little excited. Can't say I see them as scary anymore.
nOOby said:
I've seen a couple, usually just wave my hands in the air(like I just don't care) and make a lot of noise. They will run off.
Holy crap, there's so much common sense in this thread it's not even funny. You guys are my heroes. I thought for sure I'd open this thread to find all the posts about "OMG, a black bear! You're lucky it didn't maul you, steal your wallet, beat your wife with your detached right arm, and send your children to hang with Mary Kay Letourneau for a week." I mean, that's typically what posts in these threads sound like.

·
..ouch
2,028 Posts
Nickle said:
Holy crap, there's so much common sense in this thread it's not even funny. You guys are my heroes. I thought for sure I'd open this thread to find all the posts about "OMG, a black bear! You're lucky it didn't maul you, steal your wallet, beat your wife with your detached right arm, and send your children to hang with Mary Kay Letourneau for a week." I mean, that's typically what posts in these threads sound like.
Well, to be fair, he did give one of my yard lights a serious beat down during the raid. The others are fairly traumatized at the moment.

On a serious note.. surprising a black bear on the trail = typically not a big deal.. Surprising a mama bear with cubs nearby = run for your friggin life.

·
1,534 Posts
Has anyone else encountered bear in this area?
i think i saw the same one you saw last year when i was biking up sugarloaf (within a mile of the betasso preserve)

had my head down, and peaked up to see how i was coming along....and going across the road 1/4 mile in front of me was the biggest black bear i've ever seen. for a split second i thought it was a black honda civic. looked like it took up 1/2 a car lane. getting fat off all the garbage, i guess.

don't worry too much. i'm sure it's pretty familiar with people and it wouldn't be a problem unless you came around a corner and literally ran into it, or it had cubs.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bears

topmounter said:
Did the bear chase you?
Nope, no chase, but I was definitely more scared of him than he was of me. Seems like after reading all of the posts that bear are more common than I thought.

Maybe I am a wuss but that experience makes me want to find more riding buddies. I moved here not that long ago and have been riding solo most of the time. If anyone is looking for a buddy to ride mountain bikes and grapple with bears in the greater Boulder area let me know, I am up for riding before or after work and most weekends.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I saw a momma and 2 cubs this morning @ betasso while riding... I came around a corner going uphill and momma was just sitting in the middle of the trail about 10 feet away. She ran down into a ravine about 30 feet away and just sat there with her 2 cubs. It was AWESOME!!! I feel very lucky to have seen her so close, didn't feel threatened at all. On my 2nd lap they were gone.

·
lucky enough
855 Posts
Lots of bear sightings the last several days in the hood - side of town closest to Betasso.
I saw one on a hiking trail West of Sanitas last year. A big one who was not concerned about us at all.

I was thinking about hitting Betasso after work today, I'll bring my camera.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
These bears need to get a clue. There are lots of apples in trees in south boulder. I rode by there today and drooled at the nice apples, but no bears were around!

·
ride
5,274 Posts
Love the bear vid, mcs5280. I think he's saying "hey, look, I'm smart like you. Please help get me out of this fenced in sh!thole!"

Bears are awesome.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts