Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used my version of the Easy DIY for some commutes home from work since finishing it, and find it a bit floody for road use. It is pretty bright though. For the record it has 2xQ5 LEDs, a 3023 1amp BuckPuck and Ledil smooth spot and oval optics as recommended by Troutie :thumbsup: .

I thought I'd grab a beamshot or two to see how it looks in a controlled and dark environment, so I popped out into the garden just now. I would say that if anything these look a little underexposed compared to what I saw.

The light:


Control: F4, 6 seconds, 100ASA, manual focus


Aimed about 30 feet ahead of my position:


Aimed roughly horizontal - the large tree trunk in the centre is about 150 feet away:


Should be good in the woods, once I gain the enthusiasm to clean up the MTB and get out there!
 

·
Fists of Ham
Joined
·
90 Posts
NEstinkyrider said:
nice beam shots.. i wonder how this build would look with two xp-e R2's mounted in it.
Hardly any different - marginal improvement in brightness (6% or so according to the roadmap...)



Not exactly a quantum leap tbh, here's hoping that they start cranking out the R3/R4's (although there was some speculation that the R2's that Cutter are alleged to be shipping are R3 spec)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
msxtr said:
Nice light and nice beamshots. Put you the ledil optics into the housing without problems? your housin are 80x54x23mm??

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
Thank you.

Yes, it's the Hammond 1455C802BK case. It comes from the supplier here with solid plastic ends, so I had to use the bezel from another box in order to make the front.

The Ledil optics are not fitted in their holders - they sit on the LEDs and are held in place by the front perspex cover. As Troutie explained, when he described his version, I had to take about 0.75mm off the top and bottom so that they just fit into the case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
.40AET said:
Nice neat build. Make another one and run 2 on your bars. The light is awesome.
That sounds like a good idea.

Maybe Troutie could recommend optics to make it more of a spot to gain some throw? The one in his DIY beamshot thread used a real spot and a smooth spot, and it looks like that might be the answer - especially for road use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
neilt said:
That sounds like a good idea.

Maybe Troutie could recommend optics to make it more of a spot to gain some throw? The one in his DIY beamshot thread used a real spot and a smooth spot, and it looks like that might be the answer - especially for road use.
I think you have answered your own question there Neilt

2 SS or RS or combination will have the throw you are looking for

I ride mainly off road and really liked the oval / spot combi untill it was retired to workshop duties and could do with it being more floody now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
neilt said:
The Ledil optics are not fitted in their holders - they sit on the LEDs and are held in place by the front perspex cover. As Troutie explained, when he described his version, I had to take about 0.75mm off the top and bottom so that they just fit into the case.
good tip, i will do the same when i finally get round to build mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerk_Chicken said:
Sorry, I'm late to this lighting stuff- what voltage are you running it at?
I have a pack of 8 NiMH AA cells, giving 9.6V nominally. That should just give me the 2v headroom required by the BuckPuck. But I haven't run the light down to see how it behaves yet. Maybe I'll try that today, giving me time to recharge the cells for tomorrow.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,457 Posts
Ah thanks. I'm thinking of making something run off two 6v packs I already have that have little use. I have an old digital night owl, ca 2000. The bulb still works, but for how much longer? Was thinking of making something LED fit in the case, either powered by the stock electronics (for the staging and battery meter). I'll probably post this as a new thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
9.6v works great for driving 2 cree XRE's usig the cheap KENNAN drivers from Kaidomain.

i have a makita 9.6v 3000ah battery that works a treat, and only takes an hour to charge, and fits in the hydropack / velcros to the down tube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts
BigYin...

at first I was confused by your response.. then I realized I think it was my lack of specificity..
What I meant to say is: I wonder how this build would look with two of the new triple xpe-e R2 Leds that have been discussed on this forum recently - https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=471722 -

TheBigYin said:
Hardly any different - marginal improvement in brightness (6% or so according to the roadmap...)



Not exactly a quantum leap tbh, here's hoping that they start cranking out the R3/R4's (although there was some speculation that the R2's that Cutter are alleged to be shipping are R3 spec)
 

·
Fists of Ham
Joined
·
90 Posts
NEstinkyrider said:
BigYin...

at first I was confused by your response.. then I realized I think it was my lack of specificity..
What I meant to say is: I wonder how this build would look with two of the new triple xpe-e R2 Leds that have been discussed on this forum recently - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=471722 -
Ahhh - now thats a different thing alltogether. To be honest i'd be worried about heat dispersal with a couple of those in the light - effectively cramming 6 led's in that space. I'd be happier with a solid old chunk of ally - more like the housing that Deesta made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TheBigYin said:
Ahhh - now thats a different thing alltogether. To be honest i'd be worried about heat dispersal with a couple of those in the light - effectively cramming 6 led's in that space. I'd be happier with a solid old chunk of ally - more like the housing that Deesta made.
I'd agree with that. The two Q5s running at 1 amp warm it up, but it's not hot by any means. I reckon 3 would be the limit for a sensible temperature rise allowing for air flow.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top