Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cool, nice pics :thumbsup: That Hope Epic seem to have a nice beam, nice flood. And it´s compact too. But the Betty, oh my... What a monster. That´s a ridiculous (in the good sense) ammount of light everywhere. Looks like a car headlight, and the two of them!

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
The Hope and Lupine are very bright. I'm surprised that the Hope has such a wide pattern. I didn't think they had much experience designing lights but that is impressive.

Good job with this, msxtr. I think you were trying to say "latest novelty in lights..." instead of "last novelty in lights..." but your English is quite good.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
WOW!!! That is impressive. Nice background. I'll assume that you mounted them all similarly (all bar mounted from the same place), pointed them in the same spot and had the same camera settings?

That Hope looks outstanding with lots of peripheral light. I find it hard to believe that they were able to get that out a two LED system enough to clearly beat out the HID.

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
I actually like the offering from Hope more than the Lupine one.Hope has a nicelly even beam while Lupine has too much brightness in the center for my liking.

Marko

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
I was thinking about this. While the Hope looks great, it probably has a "raw" lumen rating of around 350 or 400. The similar Lumen rating of the Betty with seven LEDs is around 1400 (I realize this is also a "raw" number) and this is evidenced by the incredible throw of the beam. The pictures will not tell us the while story but if the photographer was taking notes, that would really help.

For example, the close-up peripheral light of the Hope looks slightly wider than the Betty. Was this what the testers thought as well? Did the Betty really have a hotspot in the middle or was it more of a camera lens picking up more reflection than the human eye would? I have seen other pics where the Betty beam shows no reflection at all.

Are there any notes or explanantions that go with these beams? That would really help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
problematiks said:
I actually like the offering from Hope more than the Lupine one.Hope has a nicelly even beam while Lupine has too much brightness in the center for my liking.

Marko
That hot spot becomes a huge blessing once you´re flying down a trail, Marko :D Especially when it´s complemented by the awesome spill the Betty seem to provide. You can point up the focus to increase the throw and still have plenty next to the bike to get a good feel for the surroundings. Some say you just can´t outrun Betty´s beam. Super-technical trails might still demand a second helmet light but this must be one balanced light IMHO!

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
That's what I was thinking- that either you had a ton of cash and an obsession with lights or it was a magazine.:D

Are there any explanations (in the magazine) of these lights and beam patterns that you can translate in short form?

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Flyer said:
That's what I was thinking- that either you had a ton of cash and an obsession with lights or it was a magazine.:D

Are there any explanations (in the magazine) of these lights and beam patterns that you can translate in short form?
The magazine are Mountainbike magazin :D

Here

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

·
Registered
408 Posts
Unfortunately these again seem to be those kind of beamshots where you cannot really compare the beams directly - the camera is tilted in different angles for all the lights, for example, and the 1 powerled Sigma seems to be brighter than the Betty... all these are good for is to have a general idea of the beam type - flood or spot.
Hope is only about 300 lumens, because they still use the old 5w leds (this is a case when I have to praise smaller vendors like Dinotte and Lupine who almost instantly update their lights when new technology gets available...).

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Flyer said:
I see no text or description there either. I'll ask crisillo to see if he can find anything. He lives in Germany and may be able to find some information on this test.
Hi, sometimes I can buy this magazin here in Spain, if I get buy, I inform to you ;)

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
radirpok said:
Unfortunately these again seem to be those kind of beamshots where you cannot really compare the beams directly - the camera is tilted in different angles for all the lights, for example, and the 1 powerled Sigma seems to be brighter than the Betty... all these are good for is to have a general idea of the beam type - flood or spot.
Hope is only about 300 lumens, because they still use the old 5w leds (this is a case when I have to praise smaller vendors like Dinotte and Lupine who almost instantly update their lights when new technology gets available...).
Yes, I don't understand, why doing the beamshot a professional have this mistakes...

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
msxtr said:
Yes, I don't understand, why doing the beamshot a professional have this mistakes...

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
Because it's a bike magazine not a peer-reviewed scientific journal. Although I do have to give zeGermans credit for a focus on empirical analysis even if not always perfectly applied science.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm not so sure about the Betty. It has a very powerful beam that punches pretty far, but there doesn't appear to be much light within 4 or 5 meters of the bike. I think maybe the reason for the hot spot is that the testers were trying to illuminate the turf close to the bike with a beam that wants to go far ahead of the bike. At the selected angle, the Betty illuminates the area around 20 meters beautifully - which I think might be the critical distance for a roadie. At 20mph, 20meters gives you about 2 seconds to recognize and respond to a hazard. If aimed higher, the Betty looks like even 40 meters visibility would be good - even better for a roadie. But then you might loose everything within 10 meters. It is nice to have light close to the bike when cars are approaching and you have to look down to avoid being blinded.

I think for less money than the Betty, you could get 2 good lights to fill both needs. That would give you an added advantage of having a backup.

Just my own personal ramblings.

·
Registered
161 Posts
radirpok said:
Hmm, when I look at the beamshots, I see the core of the beam is focused at 10m for all of them. As for the Sigma being brighter, I think it's safe to say that the Sigma beam pattern sucks and all of it's power is concentrated to a small circle, which may be brighter than the Betty, but also useless.

I'm less excited about total lumen ratings. First they aren't rated by an independent third party. Second, where is the measurement made? What would be very helpful is to have a graph showing lumens at certain distances and angles (left to right, up and down) from the light. This is a tall order and for now I'll settle for these beamshots which are very helpful. Thanks for the post!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
problematiks said:

Marko
Me too, plus Betty is very expensive. But I could not find the Hope "Epic" anywhere, only the "Vision" model here:
http://www.hopetechusa.com/voir_visled.html

Looks the same, so maybe Epic is the name for the longer burn time (2 battery) version?

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Some of us have the Betty coming in. We also have experience with the ARC, which has the best beam pattern I have ever seen so we will report back. I did notice that is I moved my monitor viewing angle, I could see more to the sides so I still have high hopes for the Betty. If you go to the Lupine website, you can compare the different Lupine light beams as well but I'll put up a review soon after I get mine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.