Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may not be the right forum but I thought I'd give it a shot.

I just built up some arrow XCLs last week. I mounted some nevegal 2.35s up to them. I noticed right off the bat that there was a low spot where the bead didn't seem to pop out. I didn't have time to mess with it. I revisited the issue last night. I tried a blue groove 2.35, a kinetic 2.35 and a nevegal 2.35 on the same rim and none of them would pop on to the bead all the way around. I used a compressor and pumped them all up to 65-80 psi. I even put warm soapy water around the bead to no avail. The closest I got the tire to pop all the way on was a 3-4" section about 20 degress from the valve hole still stuck. Open to suggestions on how to fix it.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,548 Posts
I've said it before, kenda quality control= crap, and I tried some of their "newer" tires recently and I still feel they are crap, only now the tread pattern is at least decent.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
all three?

If you tried three different tires and none of them worked correctly, maybe its the rim. I have a hard time believing all three Kenda tires have the same problem.

Are they holding air? If so maybe they will seat when you take a ride on them and see if that helps.
TG

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
G-AIR said:
If you tried three different tires and none of them worked correctly, maybe its the rim. I have a hard time believing all three Kenda tires have the same problem.

Are they holding air? If so maybe they will seat when you take a ride on them and see if that helps.
TG
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the rim being at fault, not the tires. I've always had great service out of kendas. I talked to some of my buddies today and I'm going to try some other things here in a minute. I'll post if I can solve the problem...

·
... I guess you won't be
1,974 Posts
Is the section of rim where the tires are hanging up, free from any sharpies or scuffs?

I've had those moments with tubeless michelins before - what I did was get some really soapy water, deflate the tire and with your finger apply soapy water solution to the gap between the tire bead and the rim - get in there and thrash about a bit!, then re-inflate to max pressure, then grab the whole wheel/tire, and gently bang the offending side of the tire into the pavement repeatedly, until the bead pops into place, even grab the tire and pull it opposite to the sticky part of the rim - brute force works! - pinnngkkk! - sometimes I've merely left alone the over-max-inflated the super soaped rim/tire and, while I drank a beer, it magically popped/pinnnnnggd into place all by itself - that's really a cool moment especially when some cool tunes are playing at the time....

good luck w/ your tire.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would bet that it's not the rim or the tire. try this, inflate the tires to about 20 psi, give the wheel a spin. Find the area of bead that hasn't seated yet and try rolling the bead in by hand. In other words, grip the tire with both hands, with the unseated bead facing you and roll the tire sideways until the bead seats. On most tires there is a visible ridge that will ride about an 1/8th inch above the rim, use that as a guide. I've used this method to seat all types of tires to all types of rims. My current set up is XCL's ( greatest AM rim ever) with Kenda Kinetics.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got it figured out yesterday. I let the tires lay out in the sun for a half an hour. I mounted them to the rims and filled with ~65 psi. I then layed the wheel on the ground and took my foot and "pulled" the tire away from the rim by stepping on the tire and the bead popped right out. Worked like a charm. No issues now. Thanks for the input/advise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.