Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Hightower C XXL
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed these tires new a few months ago. I didn't replace the tape, it still looked fine. I have a big 2-stage 150 psi shop compressor. It pops the beads quick. I converted my wife's bike to tubeless at the same time. No problems with hers, but I hammer the rock gardens at speed. She doesn't ride those trails with me. Even though it looks like a total problem, the tire holds air fine. I've recently put some long 12 mile some what rough single tracks on it and it holds pressure?
Not sure what is causing the goo to leak?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
when you add sealant try and do it through the valve stem. the sealant gets tacky and helps hold the tire in place. a pain trailside to break a bead for a tube install if necessary. but if you break the bead to install fresh sealant then you undo this extra tire retainment and stretch the bead.

i suspect your rolling the bead and micro burping the tire. that or a small tear in the bead thats easier to leak from.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
That looks more like seepage through the bead, maybe the bead is not as clean as it could be? Along with Fuse's comment, what pressure are you running?
I've found that I get a better bead seat when first inflating if I make sure the bead is quite wet with soapy water all the way around, I bought some expensive carbon rims that would take a couple of days to really property seat, but seat well immediately if the bead is really wet when I first inflate.
I also like adding sealant through the stem (and avoid breaking a good bead seat), I've done it through the valve, but eventually the valve gets clogged, so nowadays I remove the valve to add sealant, and it just gravity feeds through a syringe with no plunger.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Soon after installing this tire I had a bad crash. The bike and me got slammed sideway on a jump landing. The tire was very low after the crash. It may have got dirt in between the bead and rim then. I'll take it off, clean everything, and inspect the tire. Then install new tape and re-seat the tire with some new Stan's sealant. I usually run he tire around 20 to 25 psi. I know what you mean about pouring the sealant through the valve stem, it does sometimes inadvertently clog the valve. Sometimes I just pour it into the tire as I fit it on the rim. I've never tried it through the stem hole and then install the stem. I should try that...

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Also, you might want to try lubing the bead with little sealant before reinstalling it. I find that in addition to helping the bead slip into place and create a good seal, it also seems to provides a little bit of adhesion to help with burping when that thin lube layer sets up.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Usually the one shot Stan's little bottles. I still have a few, so I'll be using them. I'll wash my valve core too.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took the tire off and found the problem. Definitely dirt got jammed between the rim and bead. Probably did happen when I crashed and it was on the down side. The bead on the other side was stuck clean all the way around. You can see from the pictures how much dirt was in there. The Stan's sealant was almost completely gone. It was mixing with the dirt and forming a gasket upon exit.
Cleaned the bead. Cleaned the inside of the tire. Clean the rim and the tape still looks perfect. Lubed the bead with some Stan's sealant prior to setting the tire (Thanks' Eatsdirt). Poured the sealant in through the stem. Rotated the stem to the top, and hit it with the air. The beads popped clean. Then slipped the valve core in while it still had air in it. Wait and see if it holds over night...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.