Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently spent some time on a beach in a certain tropical country and now I'm thinking that renting fatbikes there would be awesome.

What are the collective's recommendations for a spec list for a dedicated beach fat bike rental fleet? (Yes, I've read coastkid's post)

I'd start very small (6-12 bikes) and would want something very resistant to salt, sand, and rental type ab/use. Steel, alum, or ti frame? IGH or geared? Belt drive? 135mm or 190mm? 3 speed w/thumbies? Best sealed BB, headset, hubs? I'd want the bikes to last at least a season (3 months) and preferably 2 or 3 before needing major overhauls.

what say you? Gracias!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ti seems like it would be cost prohibitive... Steel could work if frame saver is applied but would have to be monitored... Aluminum is probably a good option if washed and maintained...

BB, headset and hubs I would service weekly, likely to get a longer lifespan out of them. I'd spec either the salt resistant chain or go uber cheap and toss after a few uses... I guess that depends on if you want a higher end rental or low end.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts