Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI -

I ordered what was supposed to be an FSA Orbit MX headset from Pricepoint. It was shipped in not-original packaging, zip-tied together. It turned out to not be an Orbit MX (and I know this because I have three other Orbit MX headsets, none of which the bearings from the Pricepoint headset fit into, as well as seals missing and the crown race being different). When I contacted PricePoint, they replied "According to our information and FSA's website, the correct headset was sent" with an attached picture of the Orbit MX from FSA's website. Basically they told me I was SOL. I'd always had good luck with PP in the past, not sure why they were so completely awful on this occasion. Anyway, be careful buying take-off and non-original packaging items from the online price-choppers. They probably didn't send me the wrong headset on purpose, but the scary thing is they have no idea what they're sending out in the first place.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I've bought lot's of different parts that were take-offs. Usually for 25% to 35% of the in-the-box cost. Never a problem. Most were bought from Jensonusa. I've bought a lot of stuff from pricepoint too. Don't ever remember buying take-offs from them,though.

Where you need to be the most careful is the lower end bikes and even some mid-level bikes. Sometimes the bike manufacturer will have a "special" version of a popular suspension fork made for them. Sometimes they're OK and sometimes they're terrible. Manitou, Marzocchi, and Rock Shox are notorious for doing this. AFAIK,Fox doesn't do this

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Some "FSA Orbit MX headset" come branded as a "cane creek". At one point there was a licencing issue with the naming/patent or something. But they are the same (for that given model)

When I buy cheap stuff off the net I accept that I win a lot of times but sometimes I lose and I end up with a dud part. I accept this but I am still a long way ahead saving money buying cheap parts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That sucks I have used price point for years never had a problem... Will keep this in mind thanks. Btw big beck unfortunately fox sells forks oe as well. Though never used any so I can't speak for the quality.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
Aaron D said:
support you lbs and they will support you...
The other day I went to buy some stuffs from my LBS. An 8spd chain, two shift cables, and a new axle for the road bike. Really helpful matching the axle for a lighter one, that's why I like buying from the LBS. But they simply can't match even the bigger stores for prices. My total was $50. The axle was $15, so I'm guessing the chain was $25 and the cables $5 each. I know I can get the same chain and cables at REI 40 minutes away for $20 and $3 each.

But I digress. I suppose I wouldn't be so surprised over something like the OP's situation, but I've never been a stickler for brands or anything like that. I'm saving money, so I figure, "As long as it's roughly what I ordered and it works, it ain't worth the fuss."

I have learned my lesson about big ticket items online. I found a road bike online, about three weeks after I got it I noticed a horrible wobble in the cassette/hub while it's coasting. The only problem is that the shop I bought it from is at least 10 hours away by car, so that's out of the question.

Bikes and disposables from the shop for warranty/ease, components online for price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.