Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Perfect summation, but you neglected to discuss marked-up freehub bodies! ;)
Freehub bodies are not marked up from what I can tell. But due to the covid situation some models are in shortage of supply. At least for the model I needed. Shimano told me end of March, that's two months for my particular freehub. I don't know if you would enjoy waiting 2 months for a bike part you needed? I sure wouldn't lol. So yea, it was worthy of discussion, sarcasm aside. Good thing I found it from a private ebay aution to save me the covid induced wait time of 2 months, maybe more.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,310 Posts
I don't know if you would enjoy waiting 2 months for a bike part you needed?
Nobody enjoys it. But some people accept that it's hard to find certain things right now.

There's some hardware I've needed from Yakima now for SEVERAL months that has been unavailable. I've looked everywhere I can, but it's simply not available. I put it on a stock alert on Yakima's website, and I've cobbled together a temporary solution for now.

My only other option is to have a replacement fabricated. I don't have the skills or equipment to do that myself, so I'd have to find someone who does. My need isn't that great yet.

I'm waiting right now for a Shimano GRX 600 10spd 2x crankset to come available. My shop is going to order one when they become available. It's not a critical need. My bike still works. So I'm willing to wait longer.

I had to wait awhile for some parts for my truck earlier this year, too. They weren't critical parts, so again, I placed my order and waited. Ford factory shutdowns earlier slowed up a lot of things. I'm hearing that there are still shortages for certain parts, which really screws people up who NEED them.

Somewhat bizarrely, there were shortages of camping toilets at one point this year. I needed one for a trip, and I had to dig pretty deep on the internet to find something in stock. Unfortunately, I ended up having to cancel last minute because of a hurricane.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Nobody enjoys it. But some people accept that it's hard to find certain things right now.

There's some hardware I've needed from Yakima now for SEVERAL months that has been unavailable. I've looked everywhere I can, but it's simply not available. I put it on a stock alert on Yakima's website, and I've cobbled together a temporary solution for now.

My only other option is to have a replacement fabricated. I don't have the skills or equipment to do that myself, so I'd have to find someone who does. My need isn't that great yet.

I'm waiting right now for a Shimano GRX 600 10spd 2x crankset to come available. My shop is going to order one when they become available. It's not a critical need. My bike still works. So I'm willing to wait longer.

I had to wait awhile for some parts for my truck earlier this year, too. They weren't critical parts, so again, I placed my order and waited. Ford factory shutdowns earlier slowed up a lot of things. I'm hearing that there are still shortages for certain parts, which really screws people up who NEED them.

Somewhat bizarrely, there were shortages of camping toilets at one point this year. I needed one for a trip, and I had to dig pretty deep on the internet to find something in stock. Unfortunately, I ended up having to cancel last minute because of a hurricane.
Wow very interesting. Were all of these supply issues a direct affect from the covid situation? Covid attacks the markets and the world in different shapes and sizes for sure. I wonder when we will start to see stabilization. I also wonder how much of the population will be vaccinated by the first quarter of 2021. I know the vaccine is a hot topic, but is there any other way to get this situation under control?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,310 Posts
Wow very interesting. Were all of these supply issues a direct affect from the covid situation? Covid attacks the markets and the world in different shapes and sizes for sure. I wonder when we will start to see stabilization. I also wonder how much of the population will be vaccinated by the first quarter of 2021. I know the vaccine is a hot topic, but is there any other way to get this situation under control?
Yes, they're all related either directly or indirectly to covid. And these are outside some of the other supply weirdnesses that have cropped up.

Meat at the grocery store was a hot commodity for awhile. I was fortunate at one point because a poultry producer in the southeast did "truck sales" in my area (I haven't heard of this happening in very many places). I think but am not certain that this producer primarily supplied the restaurant industry. When restaurant sales disappeared, they had an excess supply they needed to get rid of. I waited in line for 3 hours to buy a 40lb box of chicken thighs. It was cheap AF, but it was REALLY hard to get chicken of any kind at the store back when this was going on. I got there an hour before they opened, too, and the line was 3hrs long by then. Also by the time it was my turn to purchase, they had sold out of breast meat and drumsticks. They had 3 semi trailers full to start with, and sold through it all that fast. they were doing these every week or two in my region for a couple months.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Yes, they're all related either directly or indirectly to covid. And these are outside some of the other supply weirdnesses that have cropped up.
You'd think if it was strictly due to COVID, things would be more consistent. We got the toilet paper stupidity for a bit, but never had issues getting meat or any other foods, and the bike shops around here are have all sorts of stock now. Weird.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,310 Posts
You'd think if it was strictly due to COVID, things would be more consistent. We got the toilet paper stupidity for a bit, but never had issues getting meat or any other foods, and the bike shops around here are have all sorts of stock now. Weird.
The reason it's so erratic is because the response to covid has been erratic. covid has been hitting different places around the world at different times and severities. Some places have been able to weather things better than others. some places have restricted things more severely than others.

the camping toilet thing threw me. but then I realized that with covid, people have been wanting to camp more than they used to. camping has been viewed as a relatively safer thing to do. The RV industry has seen high demand this year, for example. Would make sense, then, that various camping supplies would see higher demand, and with spotty production and distribution issues, at least occasional shortages, too.

I've noticed the same thing with shipping. Erratic AF. Some things arrive sooner than expected. Other things arrive WEEKS after they were supposed to.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with shipping. Erratic AF. Some things arrive sooner than expected. Other things arrive WEEKS after they were supposed to.
My experience with this is:
If USPS is the carrier, then you're SOL.
FedEx is usually okay.
And UPS has kept it together.

But damn, USPS is russian roulette right now.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
FedEx is usually okay.

Yup.
Meanwhile they spend money sending the letter carrier trucks around my town twice a day.

I'd be pretty happy with getting junk mail just once a day if it meant they could get the **** I actually want to me in a reasonable amount of time.
Time for that dinosaur to head off to the tar pits IMHO.

Reactions: kosmo

·
since 4/10/2009
31,310 Posts
FedEx is usually okay.

I've had delays from all shippers, but USPS has been the most erratic and with the biggest delays.

I've also noticed that those problems seem to be worse in specific geographic areas. Anything going through the lower great lakes (MI, IN, OH) will be in BAD shape. Sent something to my parents for christmas via priority mail. Other things sent to the same city arrived just fine. But my parents' package ended up going to a completely wrong place and ended up something like 2 or 3 weeks late.

Sent some important documents to Canada via Express mail earlier this year and that one got held up somewhere on the eastern seaboard (not sure where) for weeks before it ever got to customs.

I've had multiple shipments of bike parts from CA that have been notably delayed.

Seems like usually, local USPS stuff has been getting handled pretty well. The delays with them seem to be occurring elsewhere.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Ups is the worst carrier in my experience. I have had the most damages and packages gone missing from them more than fedex or USPS. Plus UPS is expensive and for no good reason. UPS employees appear to be careless and will just throw around your valuable packages, at least the ones who work in my area. LA so no surprise there. The condition my boxes come in from UPS are atrocious. Fedex might have higher standards and policies, fedex ftw lol.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
I've had delays from all shippers, but USPS has been the most erratic and with the biggest delays.
Yup, we got a Christmas card YESTERDAY!

The envelope was mangled, opened at both ends, and empty.

They delivered it in a plastic baggie, with a note inside that basically said "sorry, our bad, but tough bounce for you".

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ups is the worst carrier in my experience
I have used UPS for delivery of hundreds of thousands of bicycles
and
I have used FedEx for delivery of hundreds of thousands of bicycles
That is a huge sample size, way more than needed

I can tell you the damage, late delivery, lost, and other issues are exactly the same between these two carriers

neither is perfect , of course, who is?
but neither is way better than the other

both these carriers are great companies that are under insane pressure right now due to the over load of all delivery systems

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Yeah, I have seen this happening. It's all about priority. I don't ride much but I don't do so.

What's up with the spam man?
Why you changing my posts to push your shitty overpriced sweatshirts?
No one I know is buying or wearing your lame crap.

Reported.
Clown.

I've seen my son buy sneakers/sweatshirts for a couple hundred and turn them around for 3,4,5x a short time later.
If someone is willing to pay, so what?
I've seen my son buy sneakers/sweatshirts like vlone sweatshirts for a couple hundred and turn them around for 3,4,5x a short time later.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,763 Posts
What's up with the spam man?
Why you changing my posts to push your shitty overpriced sweatshirts?
No one I know is buying or wearing your lame crap.

Reported.
Clown.
Wow, that's amazing. Dood quoted you and then altered the "quote" by inserting his own link into what you'd actually said.

Rude.

Rude to the point of being a bannable offense, one would hope.

Yes, bannable is a word. I checked.
=sParty

161 - 176 of 176 Posts