Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

121 - 140 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Absolutely agree, unfortunately the bikes I happen to want aren't there. Oh well, I'm a patient man and so I won't * too much about it.
Yes, for example the bike I wanted was not in stock across the United States according to the specialized automated bike finder tool on their website. The few that were found were the wrong size & wrong color. I had no choice but patiently wait for the right bike to come across the used online market for the right price, literally no other way to obtain it. My patience did pay off though, because now I have my dream build & I'm almost done building it up to my liking :giggle:

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
I am trying to find a part I need on my bike, a freehub body shell. .... I will mandatorily need to wait about 3 months to get a single part that i need on my bike and can't ride without it, depressing.
I can almost guarantee that I could get that bike up and running in far, far less time than that.

What specific part is it you are saying you can't get?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Hmmm...just popped into the classifieds on this site. Seems OP is trying to offload a couple high end hardtails, but couldn't get any takers at the price he wanted. Beware scalpers! 🤣
Errm wait, what are you talking about? If this was a sarcastic joke I didn't get it...was it even supposed to make sense? lol :rolleyes:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I can almost guarantee that I could get that bike up and running in far, far less time than that.

What specific part is it you are saying you can't get?
It is the freewheel body unit for my particular freehub. The previous owner was a bit rough on it with some visible sings of light damage on it. A fellow helpful member on this forum pointed me to this listing Shimano FH-TX500 Rear Wheel Hub 32 HOLE QR x 135mm 8-10s Cassette Compatible NEW | eBay which is the only other compatible freewheel that fits onto my FH-MT200 hub. I will most likely give this item a shot as it is the only option I have been able to find anywhere local or online. If you know of a freewheel body unit shell that I can get let me know please I am looking for just the freewheel body unit not the entire hub assembly, thanks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
And that ^^^^ is the actual best point. Talk all you want about inventory levels. Overpriced bikes still aren’t selling. I use Pinkbike as an arbiter. As a test, just plug in the specs of a bike you’d buy; I keep it simple to see the most results. So, for me, complete enduro/all mountain 29er, size XL.

If you run that search a couple times a week, you’ll see the same bikes over and over. Price/value still matter.

I for a fact know this is not true on other online etailers. I did not use Pinkbike which seems like it would attract more bike savvy potential buyers that would know their price points much more than average joes. As far as craigslist, offerup, & ebay go I can assure you that scalpers are in fact selling overpriced bikes like hotcakes. I would see the listings go up, then disappear in a short amount of time. Quite the opposite of seeing them over & over like you said, more like now you see them- now you don't. This is mostly for entry level bikes from 500-1500 price rage of bikes. This doesn't work for mid to high end bikes as the audience is much more aware of the price/value of what they want. But seemingly in the lower price category there are more people that just impulse buy and either don't realize that the bike is overpriced by several hundred dollars or they just don't care and pay the scalper tax anyway. Either way it is a thing, and there is a market for it. So much that certain bikes are borderline unattainable unless you spend more money than what they are worth, which i was not willing to do.

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
It is the freewheel body unit for my particular freehub. The previous owner was a bit rough on it with some visible sings of light damage on it. A fellow helpful member on this forum pointed me to this listing Shimano FH-TX500 Rear Wheel Hub 32 HOLE QR x 135mm 8-10s Cassette Compatible NEW | eBay which is the only other compatible freewheel that fits onto my FH-MT200 hub. I will most likely give this item a shot as it is the only option I have been able to find anywhere local or online. If you know of a freewheel body unit shell that I can get let me know please I am looking for just the freewheel body unit not the entire hub assembly, thanks.
First off - is your current freehub actually not functioning, or does it just have "visible signs of light damage" (ie - scratches) on it?

Second - did you just post a link to the part you need that shows it in stock, with many available, for under $10?

I'm having trouble figuring out what the actual issue is here, but I think I might be getting an idea...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
First off - is your current freehub actually not functioning, or does it just have "visible signs of light damage" (ie - scratches) on it?

Second - did you just post a link to the part you need that shows it in stock, with many available, for under $10?

I'm having trouble figuring out what the actual issue is here, but I think I might be getting an idea...
It has damage & would be better off being replaced.

Yes the link was brought to my attention by another fellow member, I couldn't find it myself because it is actually a different hub part that coincidentally uses the same exact freewheel hub insert that my hub has. That's why I was not able to find it because I didn't know this part had the same exact freewheel hub.

The actual issue is that I am looking to replace my damaged freehub, what don't you understand? What idea are you getting? Please share.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 Kona Process 165 with Anvl stem and bar upgrade, Mrp bash/guide, stock otherwise. Asking $3000. Are we to give away the upgrade when trying to sell?!?!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
It has damage & would be better off being replaced.

Yes the link was brought to my attention by another fellow member, I couldn't find it myself because it is actually a different hub part that coincidentally uses the same exact freewheel hub insert that my hub has. That's why I was not able to find it because I didn't know this part had the same exact freewheel hub.

The actual issue is that I am looking to replace my damaged freehub, what don't you understand? What idea are you getting? Please share.
I don't understand what the 'damage' consists of. Does it function? Is it just typical freehub scratches and gouges? Or does it actually no longer engage properly and is preventing you from turning the pedals to propel the bicycle forward?

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
Occasionally Cranky
4,883 Posts
2018 Kona Process 165 with Anvl stem and bar upgrade, Mrp bash/guide, stock otherwise. Asking $3000. Are we to give away the upgrade when trying to sell?!?!
You'll likely never recover most of the cost, especially with something that does very little (often nothing IME) to increase performance. New wheels, yes. Stem/bars, not so much. Chain guide...minimally. I'd keep those to put on your next bike and return the Kona to stock if you kept the old parts.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Your upgrade replaced something that is no long on the bike, so no your upgrade doesn't just add more to the original price.

For example, bike costs 2k, you upgrade to nice 1k wheels. The bike isn't worth 3k because part of the original 2k included wheels that are gone.

Let say the stock wheels were $300 wheels, so your upgrade added $700 of value to the original price.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
I don't understand what game you're playing. An Orbea and an Ibis IIRC - both in the classifieds. Both said you were going to part them out b/c you hadn't gotten your asking price. Memory jogged yet?
Have you not taken your meds today? Or do you need to see a phycologist to prescribe you some? Because either you have confused me for someone else, or are a habitual liar making up nonsense that nobody or you yourself can backup. You are welcome to try, silly uninteresting guy. Go ahead, prove yourself if you can.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Your upgrade replaced something that is no long on the bike, so no your upgrade doesn't just add more to the original price.

For example, bike costs 2k, you upgrade to nice 1k wheels. The bike isn't worth 3k because part of the original 2k included wheels that are gone.

Let say the stock wheels were $300 wheels, so your upgrade added $700 of value to the original price.
I would more or less agree with this logic generally speaking. If the replaced wheels were added into the deal then the total dollar amount would be the value of the bike. Not exactly though. You are not getting the LBS support and warranty that only the original owner gets when buying first hand direct from a LBS for example. So one can argue the value in that when buying 2nd hand used bikes. It is a debatable topic.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
I don't understand what the 'damage' consists of. Does it function? Is it just typical freehub scratches and gouges? Or does it actually no longer engage properly and is preventing you from turning the pedals to propel the bicycle forward?
They are gouges. I'm assuming they will be more pronounced in time. I either can replace it now or later down the line. It does have a tiny bit of 1mm play. Most say it is normal, some say it isn't. The bike works, but I am the type of person that likes to do preventative maintenance if possible. Also will give me a chance to learn one of the few things i haven't done on a bike yet, which is hub maintenance.

121 - 140 of 172 Posts