Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
So you're ok with people buying new bikes that are available to resell for profit?
Sure. New bikes, old bikes, whatever.
I know lots of people who snap up old bikes where the seller has no idea what they have and turning them (or just certain components) over for profit.
For example, I have a set of Spin wheels I got for a 12 pack that I can sell for hundreds if I want.

I've seen my son buy sneakers/sweatshirts for a couple hundred and turn them around for 3,4,5x a short time later.
If someone is willing to pay, so what?

·
Out spokin'
11,197 Posts
So you're ok with people buying new bikes that are available to resell for profit?

The problem with this type of market is the bike isn't actually worth that much. The MSRP says it's worth is X amount because that's how much it costs the company to manufacture and still make enough profit to stay in buisness. It's not to much of a stretch to consider that selling above MSRP is a problem because now it's selling for more than it's actually worth. That can't be sustained so some people will lose money while others take advantage of them for profit. Then there are others who simply can't play because they're priced out.

Supply and demand doesn't have as much relevance now because we can easily manufacture more bikes than people could actually buy. It does have some relevance under this pandemic situation because there is no supply. None the less there's going to be a fine line between a fair price and exploitation.
Fajita Dave, here’s the important part of slaheadmofo’s post that you may have missed:
Nobody is being forced to buy anything.
Is the seller asking too much? Then haggle. Don’t want to buy it? Then don’t buy it.

In the words fo milk-git, it simples.
=sParty

·
since 4/10/2009
30,195 Posts
Where there's peaks there's valleys.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk
I have a feeling the bicycle speculators are going to get bit sooner rather than later. Bicycles aren't the sort of thing that will sustain artificially inflated prices. The demand WILL fall off if too many speculators are trying to take advantage, and they'll get burned by it when it happens. I won't be crying then, either.

But everything going on right now definitely tells me that I'm going to be extra patient when I want to buy something. I placed an order for a Shimano GRX 2x10 crankset at my lbs awhile back with the understanding that best case scenario, I won't be getting it until the end of Jan, but quite likely not until sometime in Feb. My wife is due to get a new bike next (she was shopping a year ago and put a hold on it when covid hit), and I'm not sure when she'll resume shopping.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Supply and demand doesn't have as much relevance now

It does have some relevance... because there is no supply
So which is it?

Around here, the bike shops are stocking back up.
So for people who took a risk buying new bikes in order to upsell them, they're going to have a tough time doing that and will likely end up taking a loss. That's how things work.

I don't see this as any different than people selling used high end carbon bikes/frames for thousands of dollars with no warranty. IMO, that knocks off at least 75% of the value of a frame, but hey, if people want to buy them, what do I care?

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Are you saying that people are buying up bikes from a bike shop and then selling them on craigslist for higher than MSRP because there are no bikes available at the LBS anymore? Or are you saying people are selling used bikes that they purchased during the pandemic, rode a few times, and decided it wasn't for them and are asking higher prices for them than what one would expect for a used bike?

Seems like there is confusion on here with people commenting on whether a used item is worth something but if they are truly scalping bikes, which implies buying out an inventory and then selling for higher than MSRP as demand drives the price of a supply limited commodity then that is a different conversation.
Both. I guess you can say I was veeeeery patient. I was veeeeeery cautious. So it took me months till I found the right deal for me. I had spoken to literally a couple hundred people over the coarse of 6 months maybe more. It was disturbing to see the sheer amount of scalpers that would buy bikes brand new off the showroom floor, or go out of their way to pre-order them and wait months knowing well that the pandemic would still be in full force, just to receive the bike & immediately put it up for sale on craigslist, offerup, ebay, etc. At first you notice it, but after months you see what a disgusting turn of events and patterns this has turned into. You'd be surprised at how many people flat out admitted that they were straight up re-selling the bike for profit. It made me realize that is why I can't get a new bike from my LBS, because scalpers are hogging up all the inventory and selling them online for $300, $500, even over $1000 more dollars than what they are worth. It's disturbing to me to see a bike that you could otherwise get for $1000 being sold for $1800. That's a ton of upgrades you could do to the bike for not wasting the $800 upcharge for no reason at all, just to literally give away $800 to the scalper and make his day as you just got ripped off. You could have got a new drivetrain, or new fork, or wheelset, or a variety of other things. Anything is better than giving that money to the scalper. There is also the people that are trying to make any penny they can off their bike because they noticed that the market is in bad situation, so have turned to selling their bikes online for a large amount of free profit. Like going fishing hoping to catch a sucker lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
None of that 1% are here reading this thread, nor will any of them ever do so.
There is no evidence that would prove you or me to be %100 correct. But I will say that I would have to strongly disagree with you on this. In fact I feel it is the opposite of what you are suggesting. I would tend to think that people that have very little knowledge of the bike world would turn to the forums to start gathering up their first bits & pieces of information to help they make more well informed decisions. I was one of them myself. I lurked a while before I registered. I learned a lot from online forums, a wealth of information. With used bike prices being a blur, and actual used or re-sold bikes prices all out of wack right now, I would imagine someone turning to the forums to try and make heads or tails of the situation.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
I had spoken to literally a couple hundred people over the coarse of 6 months maybe more.
As someone who's been riding and buying mtbs for over 3 decades now, I find that nothing short of crazy, particularly for a fairly entry-level bike. I've had custom frames built with far less dicking around. Reminds me of a buddy I've got that will spend hours and hours and tons of messages back and forth just trying to save $20 because he's got a bug up his ass about refusing to ever, ever pay asking price (he can easily afford to) and some weird thing where I think he just wants to try to 'teach people a lesson' when it comes to haggling.

It's not always the seller that's the issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
As someone who's been riding and buying mtbs for over 3 decades now, I find that nothing short of crazy, particularly for a fairly entry-level bike. I've had custom frames built with far less dicking around. Reminds me of a buddy I've got that will spend hours and hours and tons of messages back and forth just trying to save $20 because he's got a bug up his ass about refusing to ever, ever pay asking price (he can easily afford to) and some weird thing where I think he just wants to try to 'teach people a lesson' when it comes to haggling.

It's not always the seller that's the issue.
It definitely is crazy, the pandemic has brought the crazy out of some people for sure lol. There is a difference between your 3 decades, and right now. I have been in the mtb scene for 2 decades myself. I experienced it all myself first hand. Also on the contrary especially focusing on entry-level bikes, where the majority of people buy & sell a much, much larger percentage of bikes is where the money is at apparently to prey on uninformed new comers.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
It definitely is crazy, the pandemic has brought the crazy out of some people for sure lol. There is a difference between your 3 decades, and right now. I experienced it first hand.
My LBS is loaded with bikes right now, as are my social media accounts. There is no way I would need to spend months shopping and talk to hundreds of people if I decided I wanted to buy a bike. I know that certain people tend to operate like that even minus the pandemic, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Lucikly, I have more bikes than I know what to do with already. I've hooked up a number of local kids with some sweet deals this year, and if I buy anything, it's most likely to be custom (real custom, not off-the-shelf-with-different-pedals custom). :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
My LBS is loaded with bikes right now, as are my social media accounts. There is no way I would need to spend months shopping and talk to hundreds of people if I decided I wanted to buy a bike. I know that certain people tend to operate like that even minus the pandemic, but I'm definitely not one of them.

Lucikly, I have more bikes than I know what to do with already. I've hooked up a number of local kids with some sweet deals this year, and if I buy anything, it's most likely to be custom (real custom, not off-the-shelf-with-different-pedals custom). :)
My LBS has 0 bikes, literally none. Not a single mountain bike you can get. A well known community leader bike shop that has been around for decades. 0 inventory lol.

I was picky, also part of the journey was finding the right bike for me. I was very particular in model & color. I wouldn't just settle for whatever came up. That's why It took me longer than usual, more like an adventure lol

I have toyed with the idea of doing a frame off custom paint job with stencils and cool graphic touches but I'm not sure If I want to commit to that level of customization, & that's just talking paint nothing more lol Since after all my bike is a 2020 model with a sweet satin navy paint job on it from the factory to boot 😃

·
Cycologist
6,961 Posts
You've really never heard of Balance bikes? Never opened up any MTB magazines bitd? I can still picture a number of their ads.

As for the price, have you ever wandered into the Retro/Vintage subforum and see what those guys will pay for a set of canti brakes or a set of partially dry-rotted tires? Maybe our new marketplace justice warriors need to start posting in there and trying to save the retrogrouches from themselves! 😄
Nope, but hence why I said "I've never heard of this brand and maybe I'm wrong". I tried googling the brand and the model but nothing came up but toddler balance bikes and a few bmx, no mtbs.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Nope, but hence why I said "I've never heard of this brand and maybe I'm wrong". I tried googling the brand and the model but nothing came up but toddler balance bikes and a few bmx, no mtbs.
Yeah, they were around bitd (pre-2000s). Never saw a ton of them in my area, but they were pretty heavily advertised.

Apparently, I'm just old. :)

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
4,734 Posts
So come to find out OP has several bikes and it sounds like the biggest complaint is it took longer than usual to get another without having to pay the covid bike tax...1st world probs.

·
Premium Member
4,891 Posts
Am I a scalper? I sold a Titus Riddler I had hanging in the garage a few weeks ago for $550. Last year I would have maybe gotten $300. Am I scalping selling an 18 year old bike with a Fox fork, nice 1x9 drivetrain, carbon bars, Mavic Crossmax wheels, and tubeless tires, with a fresh fork rebuild and sealant in the tires? The buyer was really happy to have it and another potential buyer banging down my door.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Am I a scalper? I sold a Titus Riddler I had hanging in the garage a few weeks ago for $550. Last year I would have maybe gotten $300. Am I scalping selling an 18 year old bike with a Fox fork, nice 1x9 drivetrain, carbon bars, Mavic Crossmax wheels, and tubeless tires, with a fresh fork rebuild and sealant in the tires? The buyer was really happy to have it and another potential buyer banging down my door.
Scalper would be buying new and selling for more than the new price. Like people scalping tickets at the entrance of a football game. Also a big problem when a new video game console is released. People buy up as much stock as they can and resell them quite a bit higher than the product actually costs retail.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Hardly bikes for sale in LBS here in AZ. 🤬

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Those wheels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I think those wheels are badass lol :love:

61 - 80 of 129 Posts