Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

41 - 60 of 124 Posts

·
Out spokin'
11,196 Posts
"A thing is worth however much someone is willing to pay for it"

Just because someone has a random reason to pay an obviously ridiculously overpriced amount of money wasting it just to obtain this item, does not mean that item is "worth" that price. It may be "worth" it to that person, but we have a word for that type of person, a sucker. That person has some type of sentimental or emotional or compulsive feeling that makes them want to spend a silly amount of money on an item that just isn't worth that value. If you know your market and value you wouldn't keep feeding the scalpers which is just encouraging this dirty practice more. If they find one sucker then they will try to find more. Surely there are needles in the hay stack and they might find them.

If a bike for example has a general value that 99% of It's audience would or should already know going into it. The other 1% of stragglers too busy or unaware enough to do some research and know the value of the item they want to buy used? Well this thread is for them to encourage them to make a more informed decision and not get ripped off in the dirty maket/world we live in today. That is why this thread is not silly or ridiculous, is a big problem that even though you know about it, some might not. It's not just bikes, It's a lot of stuff being wiped off the shelves and resold for more money. This artificial inflation caused by the people is aimed at the people. Like shooting your fellow friend or neighbor in the foot for your own profit, which then will spiral into everyone doing it shooting the initial scalpers in the foot because they are being out-scalped and their livelihood of scalping is now compromised because everyone is a scalper now.

It's like we live in a some weird post-apocalyptic world where random items are being scalped for more money than what they are worth. People holding items for hostage unless payed a premium. Taking supply into their own hands and gouging the public for it.

Whether or not there is any laws about this stuff happening or not, it sure does throw a wrench into the scene. Is it new? No. Is it surprising? No. Will it continue and prolly get worse? Hope not. Is it a sad world we live in that it has come to ripping each other off? Yes. Will i be ripped off? No. Will others get ripped off? Maybe. So know your information when buying used. Unless you're rich and can afford to throw money away by all means. The 99.99% of all other people could spend their money wisely and stretch their dollar as far as then can which is the smarter thing to do. Don't feed the scalpers. Know your market.
I'm confused. Do you want to buy my 2007 On One Inbred or not?
=sParty

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess I should have called Salsa when I sold my Bucksaw this summer? And Santa Cruz for wanting to sell the old Blur my wife didn't want anymore. And Diamondback for the cross bike my wife also no longer wanted to ask them if I could resell them?

I mean honestly, this is beyond idiocy. Yes, I know, and I'm telling you. I don't need to ask permission to resell bicycles.
did you represent it as a new bike? are you authorized by Brand to do that?

selling a used bike as used is a different issue, a different topic imv (but may still carry some legal liability for defects or other misrepresentations you make)

·
No Clue Crew
7,035 Posts
86 Keg: WTF are you talking about? When it becomes clear that you’re clueless, the smart move is to stop typing. Seriously, STOP TYPING.

The level of dumb here is making my brain hurt. Except for the $35k Inbred. Interested ...

·
Cycologist
6,957 Posts
did you represent it as a new bike? are you authorized by Brand to do that?

selling a used bike as used is a different issue, a different topic imv (but may still carry some legal liability for defects or other misrepresentations you make)
You're talking about grey market and that's not what Harold is talking about, which I suspect you know. Even then, if you buy a few bikes and resell them, you're not breaking any laws. If you present yourself as an authorized dealer when you aren't, then the brand owner could pursue legal action against you, depending on what you did (stating the claim in person leaving no real evidence, advertising as such, branded store, etc.) The brand would most likely not have to honor the warranty if purchased grey market.

·
Registered
30 Posts
really - i think this topic of people scalping new bikes, taking advantage of covid shortage has become tiresome for anyone uninterested in pointless pissing match. imv - probably not more or less ethical, practical, or legal than selling food or toilet paper out of the trunk of your car. but until pressed between rock and hard place, there will be different assumptions and different opinions.

as far as something helpful; something to beware of and to keep in mind when navigating the used market - i'd recommend anyone considering buying a bike long-distance with shipping to have some back and forth with the seller even at the risk of missing a good deal by not snapping it up, and at least feel that the transaction is fully legit.

·
since 4/10/2009
30,193 Posts
as far as something helpful; something to beware of and to keep in mind when navigating the used market - i'd recommend anyone considering buying a bike long-distance with shipping to have some back and forth with the seller even at the risk of missing a good deal by not snapping it up, and at least feel that the transaction is fully legit.
when is this ever NOT the rule when buying a used bike?

·
Registered
30 Posts
when is this ever NOT the rule when buying a used bike?
and if it's a local bike that you can go pick up, actually believe its legit and not stolen. i know sounds commonsense, but despite all this caution assumed to be always present and existing, i think both of these ripoff scenarios play through everyday.

*note to self - never feed a troll

·
Administrator
10,338 Posts
I just wanted to let anyone in the market for a used bike to be aware that right now is a very bad time to buy a used bike unless you get a honest good deal because of all scalpers trying to overcharge for bikes.

The covid situation has affected the supply & demand for all types of bikes. For example Specialized bikes or Cannondale bikes are on back order or even worse first come first serve basis because the supply is just not there so you can't even preorder them. I couldn't, it was surprising.

So scalpers who are not even interested in cycling are hogging up the inventory and getting any bike they can just to resell them for hundreds of dollars more than what they are even worth.

Think of scalpers like vultures. They want to dive in and swoop on unfortunate situations and capitalize on anything they can taking advantage of a bad situation making it worse.

I was lucky to get an great deal on my bike I bought from an guy that had priced his bike to sell fast so I jumped at it and scored saving a lot of money & not overpaying. This is why patience paid off huge.

So my point is, do your homework. Study the prices and specs of the bike you are looking to buy. Don't be scammed by scalpers asking a ridiculous overpriced amount of money for a bike that isn't worth that price tag. The right bike will eventually come around, have patience and you will be happy in the end.

Lastly again, know the market & be patient. I know supply is scarce right now but it will get better with time. Know what you're buying and how much It's new vs used price is so you don't get ripped off.
Are you saying that people are buying up bikes from a bike shop and then selling them on craigslist for higher than MSRP because there are no bikes available at the LBS anymore? Or are you saying people are selling used bikes that they purchased during the pandemic, rode a few times, and decided it wasn't for them and are asking higher prices for them than what one would expect for a used bike?

Seems like there is confusion on here with people commenting on whether a used item is worth something but if they are truly scalping bikes, which implies buying out an inventory and then selling for higher than MSRP as demand drives the price of a supply limited commodity then that is a different conversation.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
i get it - times are tough, no toilet paper for a year, yada yada, do what you have to do,
You apparently STILL don't understand that what you consider 'price gouging' doesn't apply to toys and non-essential items. Most states have laws against actual price gouging. Has nothing whatsover to do with things like bicycles, video games, Pokemon cards, etc.
Nothing.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
The other 1% of stragglers too busy or unaware enough to do some research and know the value of the item they want to buy used? Well this thread is for them
None of that 1% are here reading this thread, nor will any of them ever do so.

Reactions: bikeranzin

·
Out spokin'
11,196 Posts
and if it's a local bike that you can go pick up, actually believe its legit and not stolen. i know sounds commonsense, but despite all this caution assumed to be always present and existing, i think both of these ripoff scenarios play through everyday.

*note to self - never feed a troll
Troll master - GIF on Imgur

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
I came across the below today. I've never heard of this brand and maybe I'm wrong, but it looks like the seller is trying to take advantage of someone to me, though I doubt they'll get any takers, though it does have a frame mounted water holder.
You've really never heard of Balance bikes? Never opened up any MTB magazines bitd? I can still picture a number of their ads.

As for the price, have you ever wandered into the Retro/Vintage subforum and see what those guys will pay for a set of canti brakes or a set of partially dry-rotted tires? Maybe our new marketplace justice warriors need to start posting in there and trying to save the retrogrouches from themselves! 😄

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Yeah, Chaz! That thing has twist shifters and reverse reflector technology!

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm not sure how anyone could stand up for scalping as a reasonable or perfectly acceptable thing to do.

Also can't compare a bicycle to a supercar which might gain value since production runs are limited and discontinued.

This is how market bubbles start but I don't see it turning into the Dutch Tulip Mania. If it does turn into a tulip mania situation I might be retiring soon. I'll buy another bike when the bubble pops.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Where there's peaks there's valleys.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Also can't compare a bicycle to a supercar which might gain value since production runs are limited and discontinued.
Isn't 'low production numbers' and 'economy of scale' the precise reasons people give for why mountain bikes are so expensive to begin with compared to motorcycles, etc in a million other threads?

Supply and demand is what it is. Nobody is being forced to buy anything.

Reactions: stripes

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Isn't 'low production numbers' and 'economy of scale' the precise reasons people give for why mountain bikes are so expensive to begin with compared to motorcycles, etc in a million other threads?

Supply and demand is what it is. Nobody is being forced to buy anything.
So you're ok with people buying new bikes that are available to resell for profit?

The problem with this type of market is the bike isn't actually worth that much. The MSRP says it's worth is X amount because that's how much it costs the company to manufacture and still make enough profit to stay in buisness. It's not to much of a stretch to consider that selling above MSRP is a problem because now it's selling for more than it's actually worth. That can't be sustained so some people will lose money while others take advantage of them for profit. Then there are others who simply can't play because they're priced out.

Supply and demand doesn't have as much relevance now because we can easily manufacture more bikes than people could actually buy. It does have some relevance under this pandemic situation because there is no supply. None the less there's going to be a fine line between a fair price and exploitation.

41 - 60 of 124 Posts