Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Specialized Rockhopper Expert 1x / 2010 Specialized Hardrock Disc
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to let anyone in the market for a used bike to be aware that right now is a very bad time to buy a used bike unless you get a honest good deal because of all scalpers trying to overcharge for bikes.

The covid situation has affected the supply & demand for all types of bikes. For example Specialized bikes or Cannondale bikes are on back order or even worse first come first serve basis because the supply is just not there so you can't even preorder them. I couldn't, it was surprising.

So scalpers who are not even interested in cycling are hogging up the inventory and getting any bike they can just to resell them for hundreds of dollars more than what they are even worth.

Think of scalpers like vultures. They want to dive in and swoop on unfortunate situations and capitalize on anything they can taking advantage of a bad situation making it worse.

I was lucky to get an great deal on my bike I bought from an guy that had priced his bike to sell fast so I jumped at it and scored saving a lot of money & not overpaying. This is why patience paid off huge.

So my point is, do your homework. Study the prices and specs of the bike you are looking to buy. Don't be scammed by scalpers asking a ridiculous overpriced amount of money for a bike that isn't worth that price tag. The right bike will eventually come around, have patience and you will be happy in the end.

Lastly again, know the market & be patient. I know supply is scarce right now but it will get better with time. Know what you're buying and how much It's new vs used price is so you don't get ripped off.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
Personal Attacks are not allowed. Please make your point without having to attack the user.
The market determines the price, not you.

Sellers have an obligation to not lie about what they are selling (i.e. year, spec, etc.) but that's it. There is no formula that says a used product must be X% of MSRP because XDi says so. Ever look at a used Porsche GT RS pricing, they are well above new MSRP.

I just sold a 2 year old Mondraker frame for approximately 30% of new cost, because that's what the market determined. If I could have gotten more in my timeline you better believe I would have.

·
always licking the glass
2,306 Posts
Supply isn’t going to improve until 2022. Your post is void of the basic economic concept of supply and demand.

Even simple service parts and components are scarce right now. Sure, it’s January and there’s not as much of a demand but there’s still much more than there was pre-COVID.

There’s always people who will ask for more than you’re willing to pay, but no one is making you pay their price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i highly recommend using manufacturer stock email updates - i was able to put a new specialized under the tree for my daughter despite the local dealer telling me no bikes until march or april and practically pushing me out the door. ive signed up for no-commital email alerts from several companies, and received alerts. bikes are definitely trickling in

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i highly recommend using manufacturer stock email updates - i was able to put a new specialized under the tree for my daughter despite the local dealer telling me no bikes until march or april and practically pushing me out the door. ive signed up for no-commital email alerts from several companies, and received alerts. bikes are definitely trickling in
Very nice to hear. Glad you got your hands on a brand new bike from Specialized for retail price. I tried for months but couldn't because they were sold out around where I live & will not ship per Specialized. I got very lucky & got a killer deal on a slightly used 2020 Rockhopper Expert 1x & saved $600 dollars off the retail price. He bought the bike in late February 2020 & I bought the basically mint condition bike in early October. This is what I mean either get a good used deal like me, or get a brand new one for retail price with warranty and LBS support like you did 86 Keg, congrats on your daughters brand new bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
well, i've seen a couple scalper offers to sell also. personally, i wouldnt purchase thru a scalper on principal that they are competing against me to get the new bikes, then profiting from it without adding any value. whether their practice is even legal is another issue

during the past month, i was able to get a new bike for my daughter and a used-like-new for myself. i like the used-like-new and feel like i could ride it about for months and assuming i maintain, not destroy it; resell and either come out flush or lose not more than the equivalent of a couple days rental fee.

·
Cycologist
6,978 Posts
I also bought a like new used bike, it had only been ridden less than a mile, and I sold two bikes. I may have gotten a little more than I would have normally, but some of that was because I am a horrible sales person:

Old Trek hybrid I'd bought for my wife and she never rode:
Buyer: Ok, so let me give you the $125
Me: Just give me $100
Buyer: But it was $125, I'll give you that.
Me: That's ok, just give me $100
long pause as we both realize we're being dumb
Buyer: Ok, here's the $100.

High End 26er race bike:
Me (before I met the seller): ok, bike is $550, I'll let him bargain me down to $500 but no lower, he'll probably start at $450
Buyer: Will you take $480?
Me: Ok!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My thoughts on this, is u can't hate on people who r tryn to pay their bills, u called them vultures, well, when u found that guy with a bike that was cheap! U SAID. I jumped on it!!!! Lol u ain't no diff. Then them, u saw a good opportunity (price) n from 1000 ft in the air u dove n got your prey, I think this is a bias remark based on a experience u encountered, my advice... LET IT GO ! cuz every store u go in on a daily basis has a way larger profit margin on every item they sell, n u bought it!!!!!than the people tryn to resell bikes. Jus sayn...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Supply isn’t going to improve until 2022. Your post is void of the basic economic concept of supply and demand.

Even simple service parts and components are scarce right now. Sure, it’s January and there’s not as much of a demand but there’s still much more than there was pre-COVID.

There’s always people who will ask for more than you’re willing to pay, but no one is making you pay their price.
Exactly! He's had a bad experience or something!!!! But its ok, its business, u jus have to be on point with what ur purchasing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
haha! time to slip in pic of my daughter's rockhopper!!!

picture doesnt do it justice at all - that blue metallic is deep as the sargasso sea when you look into it - mesmerizing! and it has tastefully avoided looking like a billboard for specialized but still has their name in blue lettering on the front of the downtube and S on the headtube.

it has been outfitted with a dropper seatpost and will likely be sporting an epixon air fork before long. might go 1x this summer but truth is - the 2x9 has tons of range and just might be optimum for trails/commute. we'll see :)

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My thoughts on this, is u can't hate on people who r tryn to pay their bills, u called them vultures, well, when u found that guy with a bike that was cheap! U SAID. I jumped on it!!!! Lol u ain't no diff. Then them, u saw a good opportunity (price) n from 1000 ft in the air u dove n got your prey, I think this is a bias remark based on a experience u encountered, my advice... LET IT GO ! cuz every store u go in on a daily basis has a way larger profit margin on every item they sell, n u bought it!!!!!than the people tryn to resell bikes. Jus sayn...
Do you even know what a scalper is? Because what you're saying doesn't make sense. I researched the market for months. The bike I bought was not from a scalper. The price was right for me according to what I thought the value of the bike was worth. He got what the bike was worth and i paid him the fair amount of money, he was not prey lol. That is a fair deal. I didn't get ripped off as a buyer for no reason, and he didn't get short changed as a seller. I think you have completely misunderstood what we are talking about here. You can't confuse scalping for a fair deal, that's just silly.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly! He's had a bad experience or something!!!! But its ok, its business, u jus have to be on point with what ur purchasing.
Who had a bad experience? Me? I am well informed enough to make proper decisions when buying used items. I study for months, I'm patient. I would never be caught in a situation where I am being ripped off paying more for an item when It is worth less. Be on point with what you are purchasing is correct & that's how I got a good fair deal. That is why I am bringing it to the attention of fellow forum members to beware of scalpers and know the market for what you are buying.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
haha! time to slip in pic of my daughter's rockhopper!!!

picture doesnt do it justice at all - that blue metallic is deep as the sargasso sea when you look into it - mesmerizing! and it has tastefully avoided looking like a billboard for specialized but still has their name in blue lettering on the front of the downtube and S on the headtube.

it has been outfitted with a dropper seatpost and will likely be sporting an epixon air fork before long. might go 1x this summer but truth is - the 2x9 has tons of range and just might be optimum for trails/commute. we'll see :)
That is a sweet Rockhopper. I love Rockhoppers so much. Mine is Satin Navy. I think they look so good in blue. I would encourage you to go 1x. I love my 1x drivetrain. Not only is it simpler but you save weight essentially making the front derailleur redundant and just adding unnecessary weight imo. With the right cassette you should be able to have all the range you would ever need. I am going to convert my Hardrock to 1x down the line, after I complete my Rockhopper. I'm still debating about which 26t chainring I am going to buy, to go with my 11-36t cassette. I may do the oval absolute black, or the sram xsync but undecided.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Do you even know what a scalper is?
Scalping is the act of cutting or tearing a part of the human scalp, with hair attached, from the head. Generally occurs in warfare or, on occasion, between some mountain bikers and hikers on the trail.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts