Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, here is the epic ride you've all been waiting for! Come join the "fun" for 30+ miles of riding and 6,000+ feet of climbing in the McDowell Mountains, including four "bypasses" - Windgate Pass, Bell Pass, Sunrise, and Windgate Pass again.

Details as follows:
When: Sunday, Jan. 28th.
Time: 8:30 am feet-in-pedals (it's a long day, please be on time)
Where: Stage at Basha's parking lot at Bell Rd. and Thompson Peak Parkway in NE Scottsdale
Route: Up Windgate Pass (first Bypass), down the backside and over to Bell Pass(second), down Bell, over Paradise to Quartz/Lost Dog, etc., up and over Sunrise (third), over to Golden Eagle and Dixie Mine, up to Windgate (fourth), down Windgate and back to the cars.
Terrain: Mostly all singletrack, not any real technical stuff, but lots of rocks, strenous climbing and steep descending with plenty of switchbacks. And did I say plenty of rocks? And cacti?
Support: This is a self-supported ride. Bring the food, water and gear you need for 6-8 hours of backcountry desert riding. We will; however, have a supported break at the Golden Eagle TH in Fountain Hills, with water, Gatorade, PB&J and snacks. Please bring $5 to help fund that.
Bail-out points: You can bail after the doing the first two bypasses (after coming down Bell), which will be close to the cars. You can also bail after climbing and descending Sunrise, which will require 5-7 miles of road riding to get back to the cars. After we make it to Golden Eagle, you might as well finish it up, though you can bail if you get a ride.

I will have maps of the trails and roads on the day of the ride, and will also post them ahead of time.

This is not a beginner ride due to the length and amount of climbing. And while not "technical," there are plenty of opportunities for carnage, so don't underestimate it.

Please let me know you're coming by posting here or PM'ing me so we can properly stock the snack stop...

Note: This is a friendly group ride being organized as such.

·
Something goes here...
2,070 Posts
Sundays are rough so I have to double check the schedule....I can definitely see bringing the 23lbs.HT on this one though....nice and light. Then again, FS is so nice after 20 miles.

G

·
Oh yeah baby, I'm most definitely in on this one. I'll be there on the SS as usual, and do my best to hang. Yep, I've got a chub. I'm excited about this quad ride. 830 is perfect!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow!

Just reading the ride description gives me the shakes. Gotta do this one. Loading up the camper on the truck today and heading your way. Will be staying at McDowell and won't be able to follow the posts in cyber space so is it possible to PM me with your phone number so I can contact you at end of mos and figure out a time to meet the group at Windgate Pass?

Thanks - Craig from Moab

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cstuttle said:
Will be staying at McDowell and won't be able to follow the posts in cyber space so is it possible to PM me with your phone number so I can contact you at end of mos and figure out a time to meet the group at Windgate
PM sent...

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
kopec said:
We measured 5200 feet of elevation gain on the Double.

Either way, it will be a killer.
Really...? Well, sh*t, then...the climbing just went to around 6500 feet...:yikes:

BTW, here's the link to the thread from the Double Bypass in Nov. Scroll down on page 2 to find GPS data from cycljunkie.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=2380707&page=2

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think I might be in... I may really regret it but I'm going to have to do this SS.
Anyone care to suggest gearing that may allow me to survive??

The bailout points are cool but I'm hoping the new (29er) bike mojo will allow me to finish!

Joe

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.