Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Powered by ice cream.
6,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for the first time Sunday am.

Well worth the trip. I will be back. Ridiculous that this is only an hour away and I had not been there yet.

I suspect in about two weeks the flowers will really be going off.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Sorry I missed ya, did it Saturday Morning after driving in from LA all night Friday.

Simply the very best 20 miles of single track I've ridden in AZ.

Place was amazing, fun, great ride, great vibe at the Rock Creek Cafe after the ride.

Exit 242...I-17 Simply marvelous single track.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Living off the Loop 101 in Glendale make getting to the BCT easy. I've been riding it at least once a month. Great trail for the 29 SS. Its amazing the amount of work that has gone into some of the shelves and corners! Keep riding and enjoying. Just remember to come to a complete stop before taking pictures. Its a long ways down in more than a few spots.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nice pics, this is definitely one of my favorite trails. I try to ride there as much as I can.

I'm planning on heading up there this Saturday starting at the Black Canyon City trailhead and heading south but I saw that they are forecasting rain on Friday night. If it rains, does anyone know if it make the river unpassable and is there a way to find out before hand if it's too high? Thanks.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,442 Posts
chrisnei said:
Nice pics, this is definitely one of my favorite trails. I try to ride there as much as I can.

I'm planning on heading up there this Saturday starting at the Black Canyon City trailhead and heading south but I saw that they are forecasting rain on Friday night. If it rains, does anyone know if it make the river unpassable and is there a way to find out before hand if it's too high? Thanks.
The forecasts I saw weren't predicting any major rain, although it was going to rain a bit. Hard to guess. The melting of snow/runoff made the river kind of high when I did it two weeks ago, but a lot of that stuff is gone now. There is a website with the flow, I did a search on this website and found it.

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,442 Posts
waltaz said:
Nice pics, and a great, great trail system...one of my very faves in this whole area.

The flowers in those pics sure look familar...

Regarding the flow of the river, here you go:
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv?c...009-03-31&site_no=09512800&referred_module=sw

Dale (epicrider) recommends no more than 300 cfs (the far left column), but it starts to get dicey above 150-200 cfs. Right now, it looks fine.
Yeah, walking on the rocks in bare-feet is painfull.

When I crossed the river for the 4th and last time a few weeks ago it was super-wide on the part of the loop I was on, the entire drainage was flowing, but luckily it wasn't more than a few feet deep the entire way and sand the whole way, so it was nice, but that river can be going pretty fast. Looks good now, and even a bit if rain shouldn't make it go too wild IMO. Still worth being cautious.

Eric, is BCT not the perfect 29er trail?

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I dunno what the perfect 29er trail is like, but it sure felt nice to have 4.5" under this 50 year old butt. I did not have any harmonic convergences or any other paranormal activities further up the road in Sedona.
As to the creek crossing, I bruised my heel on a rock doing a barefoot crossing of Agua Fria, and I've waded some mighty rivers in the past 12 years of fly fishing while wearing waders, so I will not be taking off my riding shoes the next time I do BCT. Leave the leather SIDI's at home for this ride and bring the cheapie riding shoes for wading. Also, oil up your cleats with some WD40 after wading the Agua Fria at the end of the day, to prevent rust and corrosion on them, The water is nasty in there, you don't want it getting in your wheel bearings or anything else on your bike, carry it across, keep them dry.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I rode BCT from Table Mesa and the river was flowing good. About 50 yards wide at the first crossing, up to my knees--and cold baby. Not sure what the cfps flow was that day.
I couldn't find the crossing on the east side of Little Pan, so I tried to go for it at one place--too deep,and the current was too strong so I aborted and rode back the way I came.
Is there a photo on the forum of that crossing I can look at for reference?

Why do some cross barefooted? My feet were warm again in a couple of minutes, but not dry--big deal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not to highjack, but for SS, how does the gearing compare to DC coast to coast, hitting secret and up goat (hike-a-bike) and down heli?

I need to get on this trail!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,442 Posts
mountainflow said:
Not to highjack, but for SS, how does the gearing compare to DC coast to coast, hitting secret and up goat (hike-a-bike) and down heli?

I need to get on this trail!
There are no steep grades on BCT, as a multi-use trail, it has to abide by certain limits, so you won't find any crazy-steep sections. I've never ridden all of DC, but it's not going to have those short crazy-steep sections you find on SoMo (national, mormon, etc), just longer more gradual ones. This makes BCT VERY SS friendly IMO.

·
The .05 percent
1,121 Posts
Jayem said:
Yeah, walking on the rocks in bare-feet is painfull.

When I crossed the river for the 4th and last time a few weeks ago it was super-wide on the part of the loop I was on, the entire drainage was flowing, but luckily it wasn't more than a few feet deep the entire way and sand the whole way, so it was nice, but that river can be going pretty fast. Looks good now, and even a bit if rain shouldn't make it go too wild IMO. Still worth being cautious.

Eric, is BCT not the perfect 29er trail?
I think that this description closed it for me. seems every trail that is "perfect for a 29er" usually is one that I would rather skip, ie Super moto, or as I call it the trail that I will have to ride if I go to hell.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
37,442 Posts
sinatorj said:
I think that this description closed it for me. seems every trail that is "perfect for a 29er" usually is one that I would rather skip, ie Super moto, or as I call it the trail that I will have to ride if I go to hell.
I dunno, I'd take a 26er on super moto every day and sunday, way more fun IMO. Plus there's that switchback at the end where you can watch the 29ers jam their wheel up against the rock :thumbsup: BCT is long with lots of ups and downs through, only one fairly big climb/descent, but no technical aspect to the big climb/descent. Big wheels keep on turning on BCT, but there are lots of other places where I don't like big wheels, at least on a hardtail or ss type of bike.

·
I love bike!
1,154 Posts
RobZona said:
Why do some cross barefooted? My feet were warm again in a couple of minutes, but not dry--big deal.
Plus chunks of glass slicing your foot is something I would not wish upon my worst enemy (well, maybe my worst enemy :devil: ). This from experience not crossing BCT, but playing around in a river a number of years back. Cuts and shots to the bottom of the foot is not very pleasant :sad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.