Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Trail Monger
204 Posts
Company of course. You can get way out there and no one anywhere to help. Rock springs road exit 242. Ride down to little pan loop then back. That seems to be the favorite. Brian

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's the terrain like? From most of the photos and videos I've seen it looks pretty ridable (nothing too terrible).

I've recently moved back and all my riding buddies have either moved out of town or are so out of shape they won't ride with me (not that I'm some kind of cycling god... I'm just average).

Here's what I've been doing lately... http://www.plus3network.com/search/activities?query=Chris+Cowan&sport=2&tag=arizona

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Its nothing too terribly technical, just a lot of sustained climbing and fun downhills. The climbing can all be done in the middle ring, and the downhills will tempt you to go faster and faster then throw some sort of hairpin S-turn in around a blind corner. The trail is very narrow, so if you're not on your game (ie looking around, fiddling with your pack or computer) things can get nasty really quick, with nowhere to bail out.

The exposure (read:constant exposure) isn't going to kill you, but if you go off-trail, you might be lucky to get out by yourself. The overall smoothness of the trail invites complacency. This isn't like Desert Classic, where if you make a mistake and go off-trail and crash where you can just dust yourself off and continue. You'll be taking a downwards tumble and some of the falls will be about 25-50ft. The trail is only about 16" wide in most spots, and is mostly bench cut into the side of a mountain. If all you ride is Desert Classic, it may be out of your league. If you feel comfortable on National in some of the sketchier parts (like the catwalk) you'll do fine.

You can do it on your own, but I'd recommend heading out with a friend, just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.