Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First things first.. I'm looking for some camping locations nearby that are drug, theft and tweeker free, before doing this ride

Is anyone doing this ride in Black Canyon on Saturday or Sunday the 10th or 11th? I would be driving in from Los Angeles. Have a 6" AM bike, don't mind climbing, social pace would be good.

Thanks in Advance.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unless I get the Bosch VE Injector pump fixed in time on my Jetta TDI diesel, this trip is scrubbed. Broke down today on my way home from a ride. They tell you these motors being diesel will go half a million miles... that may be true, but everything else you need to keep it running that's electrical, rubber or plastic will break inside of 5 to 7 years, just when it gets out of warranty and you'll need to repair it 3 to 5 times to go 500,000 miles.

Update: Well there may be some hope after all, I have a good idea on where to look now on the IP..

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
no fair asking an out-of-towner to help build something before he can ride the next day...imho.

randy, when you get your ride fixed and can head this way, i'm sure there'll be some folk riding out there at a casual pace. you might even want to pm tiffanyinanthem and maybe coordinate with her for a ride with no strings (trail building) attached. of course, if you want to help on one of the days they're building, i'm sure they'd love to have you.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
A few of us are doing a social ride on sunday around 9:30am ish. We are starting at the rock springs TH, you are more than welcome to join in if your car is fixed. Most of us wil be on 5 to 6" AM aswell.
Later.

·
Registered
237 Posts
kaboose said:
no fair asking an out-of-towner to help build something before he can ride the next day...imho.
Why not? They provide bottle water and lunch and there is plenty of after-work socializing over beer and pie! :thumbsup:

·
im4Gsus
2,203 Posts
Doode said:
Why not? They provide bottle water and lunch and there is plenty of after-work socializing over beer and pie!
"they"?? who's "they"??

lunch and beer and pie?? OMgoodness, beer and pie!!!
nobody ever mentioned beer and pie before!
nobody, nobody at all. i'm so confused!
darn! i've missed all that pie...and all that beer...

ok, i go take my medications now.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd be more inclined to donate some money rather than donate time on a trip like this.

1,000 miles of seat time in the car isn't worth it unless there's some substantial bike riding mileage behind the bars to offset the time behind the wheel to get there and home.

Right now, I feel a huge donation coming on in the form of finding a new Bosch Injector Pump for about $1200, plus labor to install it, which while they are in there, they should R&R the timing belt and water pump too. I'm feeling poor, best estimate is about $2200 total. :madmax: :madman: :madman:

·
Registered
589 Posts
sounds fun!

lostboyz said:
10am at Rock Springs TH. Some of us will be riding to Table Mesa and back while others short on time will be heading back earlier on Lil Pan I belive. Should be fun! .........and tiring:p
We might join in on your ride, if that's okay!

Me and Will had planned to set out from the New River TH and do little pan and maybe a little more - that day. I'm trying to work up to riding the whole trail from South to North and then back down. It'll be a while till that happens, but damn what a epic ride that would be! So if we decide to do our own thing, we might see you guys up on Little Pan. We'll be sure to say hi!

So I guess we're a maybe at this point!

See ya!

Tiff

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ride was great! Very Gnar in an XC way. Moe and I continued on while the rest of the group turned back about 2miles from Lil Pan. We did the lil pan loop from Rock Springs and back. It took us 7hours to complete cause we are slow downhillers and Moe had chain problems. Lotsa climbin on the BCT which is great for the fitness but I must say that the DH's are really really fun. You can pretty much pump thru everything as there are turbo pads friggin everywhere. BCT ROCKS!!! Great to see everyone out there...even caught a glimpse of Walt and Cayote on they're way back. Nice to meetcha.
im tired...night night:thumbsup:

·
Registered
589 Posts
great day!

lostboyz said:
Ride was great! Very Gnar in an XC way. Moe and I continued on while the rest of the group turned back about 2miles from Lil Pan. We did the lil pan loop from Rock Springs and back. It took us 7hours to complete cause we are slow downhillers and Moe had chain problems. Lotsa climbin on the BCT which is great for the fitness but I must say that the DH's are really really fun. You can pretty much pump thru everything as there are turbo pads friggin everywhere. BCT ROCKS!!! Great to see everyone out there...even caught a glimpse of Walt and Cayote on they're way back. Nice to meetcha.
Sounds like you guys had a good ride! We started down south in New River and turned around at the top of little pan. The weather was great!

The shooting at Table Mesa was horrible yesterday! There's one spot where they shoot across the trail. We came up and told them about the trail being right below. Both different groups were surprised, as they"shoot out there all of the time, and never seen anyone on a bike". I pointed out, well we most know about all of the shooting so most just avoid the area. It's a shame really because there's some really nice stretches of trail out there, but the shooting is scary!

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
lostboyz said:
You can pretty much pump thru everything as there are turbo pads friggin everywhere. BCT ROCKS!!! Great to see everyone out there...even caught a glimpse of Walt and Cayote on they're way back. Nice to meetcha.
It was nice to to meet you too!! Sorry if I was all quiet and somber. It was my first "epic" on my single speed (rigid) and by the time we were on our way back from the LP loop I was one slapped down Coyote. :D But it was awesome anyway! GREAT trail system, can't wait to go back with the SS and master that sucka. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
tiffanyinanthem said:
Sounds like you guys had a good ride! We started down south in New River and turned around at the top of little pan. The weather was great!

The shooting at Table Mesa was horrible yesterday! There's one spot where they shoot across the trail. We came up and told them about the trail being right below. Both different groups were surprised, as they"shoot out there all of the time, and never seen anyone on a bike". I pointed out, well we most know about all of the shooting so most just avoid the area. It's a shame really because there's some really nice stretches of trail out there, but the shooting is scary!
Tiff,

Send the BLM an email [email protected]

The shooting below the LPL needs to stop. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Lets have some Kool-aid!
116 Posts
Shuttle for BCT?

This was my first ride at BCT and I loved it. Started out at the BCC trailhead and rode in about 2 hours then turned around. (4 hour ride) Loved the downhills and no one told me about the exposure but got used to it.

Has anyone done a shuttle? That way you could ride all the way through. Wheres the best place to leave a car at the south end and not have to worry about someone breaking in?

Table Mesa? Emery? Or how about going all the way to the Carefree Highway trailhead.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks.

·
No Clue Crew
7,707 Posts
People talk about MXers and bikers and offroaders as being the bane of the "wilderness experience," but the shooters are really responsible for a lot of the trash and crap that goes on.

It's been like that for years at Table Mesa. I used to do a lot of rockcrawling out there and areas are covered with brass, shell casings, ammo boxes, beer bottles, targets (including, you know, appliances and stuff). And then you'd have Bubba blasting away over your head with an SKS while you're on the trail.

And, before any gun folk flip out, I'm a gun person, too. I just do my shooting at a range so I don't ruin other peoples' recreation experience.
d

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.