Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in northern Arizona mid March and I would like to ride the BCT on March 19th. It looks like my kind of XC trail. I am aware that AZSF rides there on the 20th, but that does not fit my schedule. I'd like to get in about 30 miles. I was considering riding south from the Black Canyon City trail head for about 15 miles, turning around and coming back. Anybody have a better/more scenic route?

I have GPS tracks, the trail looks well marked, and I ride solo a lot. But I prefer not to ride solo in unfamiliar territory. It would be nice if someone could tag along, at least to be in some of the photos. I'm old and slower than most, but I can and do ride all day. If I'm too slow for you, you may leave me. I prefer a 9 am or earlier start. Here is my ride from two days ago.

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
Just to share with you my experiences riding around AZ... it's considerably different from what I ride here in So Cal and around Mammoth Mtn Bike park. I can't put my finger on why, but I tend to ride about 60-70% of the same miles in AZ, be it BCT, AZ trail, Prescott, etc that I do here in CA, in the same amount of time. In other words, it's tougher in AZ...

You can do an out and back on BCT from exit 242 off of I-17 thats about 22-23 miles, and I promise you, unless you are a racer, it will leave you worked. There's just a lot of rocks that have a way of impeding your rolling ability there, that cause you to have to dig deep in your pedaling, far deeper than anything I ride around here in So Cal. You've just not seen rocks and rocky single track and ridden rocks until you've ridden AZ. It' a great ride, but it's tough, I have to drop my expectations on miles covered per hour there, because the trails are completely new, the travel is rough, and there's lots of sight seeing to do on BCT, which will cut into your time and average MPH made good, if you aren't from around there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.