Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Great way to start the new Year. We rode BCT today from New River Rd trailhead to Little Pan loop , did the loop then rode back to
New River rd. All trail it was 31.5 miles took us almost 6 hrs with flats
and a bent derail. ride time was 4:05. We were cooked when we
finished. Feel fine now.. I want to thank all of you who worked on
the trail. It is awesome..

Peace,
Johnny K

Attachments

·
Registered
589 Posts
some pics

Sorry to hijack!

We did a similar ride on New Years Eve day, started in New River, but we didn't do Little Pan loop. We had planned to just do the Boy Scout loop. But we ended up missing the turn to complete the loop, climbing a steep jeep road further out and then some nice backtracking! We took the road back as well.

Here are some pics of the southern portion - Emery Henderson to the doe peak segment

Comments about the southern portion of the trail - some parts are great! As I was riding I thought this would be a really good C ride. It is mostly singletrack, no exposure and nothing too steep. First 4 miles is flat and flowy. However, once you get on to the Doe Peak segment there are some really rough parts. I think the trail just needs some maintenance to get it back to its original state. This section really beat me up and I was cursing the rocks. Some sections were just too much on my partially squishy bike, so it was hike-a-bike.

Hope you enjoy the pics, and sorry for the hijack!

Tiff

Attachments

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
I am thinking when BCT is finished it is going to join the ranks of Epic Rides. It looks to be a good blend of landscape for all levels of riders. Might make a few B riders work to become A riders, huh? I can't wait for the section north of Black Canyon City to open. The climb up the old stagecoach trail will be a challenge for most anybody.

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Walt, the water was not as bad as i thought but the first crossing
was real bad with muck. I sank up to my knee and shoes were full
of gunk. Someday i'll ride with you and your group again hopefully.

PS, if you need tires i am currently working at 70th st and Shea.

Later ,
Johnny K

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Tiffany,
Good pic's on your ride, i think the first section from New River rd all the way to the hilltop, right before the nasty rocky downhill is some sweet trail for most anyone. I think it flows well and the few rocky spots are not bad. And the views are great..

Later,
Johnny K

·
AZ MTBR
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Salty Dog,
I agree with you. I have been riding the BCT for probably 4 yrs. We used to start at New River Rd , just west of I-17. When we rode it the trail was very rocky and tough. I liked it then too, but now with all the work that has been done by a bunch of great volunteers this trail will be an Epic ride for anyone. I can envision 8-10 hrs rides. Very cool....

Later,
Johnny K

·
Registered
589 Posts
JJK said:
Hey Tiffany,
Good pic's on your ride, i think the first section from New River rd all the way to the hilltop, right before the nasty rocky downhill is some sweet trail for most anyone. I think it flows well and the few rocky spots are not bad. And the views are great..

Later,
Johnny K
Yep, exactly. Most everything is flowy except for that one really rocky section.......... It would be a b&^% coming back up.

Tiff

·
Banned
7,930 Posts
I'd be happy with a 3 or 4 hour ride, Los Angeles is a long ways away, but the pics have me stoked on wanting to try that ride on my Bionicon Edison soon. Real soon, maybe along with some Sedona... Haven't tried any of AZ yet but some of it looks mighty fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.