Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us are looking to do a "BCT Monstercross" in the next few weeks, before it gets too hot, and have some questions.

First of all, the "BCT Monstercross" is loosely defined as doing a point-to-point ride from one end to the other. It seems that going from north to south is the recommended, and most flowy, option.

Dale's (epicrider) latest maps for the BCT trail system are here:
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=163

Some questions:
- Assuming we ride north to south, which is generally "downhill" and flows much better, is it worth riding the section south of the Emery Henderson TH? That's the six miles down to the Bob Bently TH off of Carefree Hwy.
- Where is the farthest point north that can be accessed by a car? Looks like there is some parking around M46 near Mexican Gulch. What is the access to get there? Looks like the Bumble Bee TH can be reasonably accessed via car, but I'd like to get north of there to start.

We're looking at dropping a car at the southern terminus, and "shuttling" to the northern start. Just trying to plan, and appreciate the feedback from those that have done this (Monkeybutt, et al), or those in the know...

Thanks!!

Walt

·
Registered
632 Posts
walt, I would definitely make the Emery Henderson TH the end point of the monstercross ride. Nothing really good to ride mtb south of EH, just flat trail/jeep road to Carefree Hwy.
EH has good parking area, restroom, and covered tables if I recall. The trail from Table Mesa to EH is good and almost all ST.

·
Registered
147 Posts
South of Emery Henderson can be confusing and sandy in parts but you'll see plenty of wildlife, wild burros and owls... the trail ends with about 1.5 miles of dirt rod to carefree hwy. What you should do is take it south to the Maricopa trail at Daisy Mountain Rd and I-17 by taking a right at the dirt road that heads east to I-17 approx. 1 mile and head east thru Anthem and connect with either the Cave Creek Park or keep heading east to Spur Cross Ranch....That would be epic and would add another 15 miles maybe to cave Creek.

·
Registered
159 Posts
waltaz said:
- Where is the farthest point north that can be accessed by a car? Looks like there is some parking around M46 near Mexican Gulch. What is the access to get there? Looks like the Bumble Bee TH can be reasonably accessed via car, but I'd like to get north of there to start.

Walt
The town of Bumble Bee (or the whole way to Crown King) is doable by car. So M46 or parking in Bumble Bee is OK. Mexican Gulch road is pretty tame by truck standards, but I wouldn't say "car" accessible... depending on how much you like your car or how well you drive. :) 2wd truck is fine though.

At Spring Fling, I actually biked down Mexican Gulch road, then through Bumble Bee and back to the parking lot. I wanted to check out the abandoned mine you can see from BCT, so I took the truck and drove up Mexican Gulch Road... only to find that it is blocked a little bit beyond where the BCT crossed MGR (betw M47 and M48). Sigh. MGR isn't that nasty, but it is an uphill climb on a dirt road. So a couple of sections were loose and rutted, etc. So it's not like a car "couldn't" make it, but wouldn't be my first choice as a meeting spot.

FYI bombing down MGR to Bumble Bee is a quick way to get back home on the bike. If you want max BCT ride distance, you could park in BB and ride up MGR, then start the BCT at M47. But I'd just start at M46 and say good-enough.

-Kevin

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
We did Bumblebee to Table Mesa on Sat and it was already almost too hot. Bring a water filter.

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,318 Posts
YuriB said:
We did Bumblebee to Table Mesa on Sat and it was already almost too hot. Bring a water filter.
We did this on Sat too, three of us ran out of water about 1hr or more before the finish. Got steamy in the open areas. I'll be posting my ride report tonight. Yuri, were you the guys that gave us the gallon of water at the end?

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Walt, you definitely need to start at the farthest north end at Hidden Treasure Mine (HTM), which will be at M52 once I get my map updated. HTM is easily accessable by car just a few miles up the Bubble Bee Road from BB. The section starts out riding across a relatively flat section for a couple of miles, then climbs up a couple hundered feet then you wuill have a really fun three mile flowing decent down to BB. I went out and rode it on Sunday as an out an back, which is a great moderate ride, and I will be updating my map for that section in the next day of so. The BLM hs signed and installed route markers up all the way out to HTM, so it should be easy to find your way. It is still a little confusing at where the trail crosses over BB bridge and it is easy to ride by the signs off the road. So from HTM to EH, will be a huge ride, something like 46 miles. As other have said, take a water filter and plenty of food.

Here are few pics from our ride yesterday to give you a flavor of the northern segement:

More Pics HERE

waltaz said:
Some of us are looking to do a "BCT Monstercross" in the next few weeks, before it gets too hot, and have some questions.

First of all, the "BCT Monstercross" is loosely defined as doing a point-to-point ride from one end to the other. It seems that going from north to south is the recommended, and most flowy, option.

Dale's (epicrider) latest maps for the BCT trail system are here:
http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=163

Some questions:
- Assuming we ride north to south, which is generally "downhill" and flows much better, is it worth riding the section south of the Emery Henderson TH? That's the six miles down to the Bob Bently TH off of Carefree Hwy.

We're looking at dropping a car at the southern terminus, and "shuttling" to the northern start. Just trying to plan, and appreciate the feedback from those that have done this (Monkeybutt, et al), or those in the know...

Thanks!!

Walt

·
PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
4,318 Posts
waltaz said:
Thanks guys...where did you both start?
From the M41 parking area on the west side of bumble bee road. I am definitely looking into a filter now:thumbsup:

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
azdog said:
We did this on Sat too, three of us ran out of water about 1hr or more before the finish. Got steamy in the open areas. I'll be posting my ride report tonight. Yuri, were you the guys that gave us the gallon of water at the end?
Yup, that was us.

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
waltaz said:
Thanks guys...where did you both start?
We started just south of the bridge that is just south of Bumblee. An extra 4 miles to where AZ dog and crew started I think. Pics

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
I would leave cars at EH and get a ride over to Sunset Rest Stop, drop down to the BCT via the road (see Google aerial shots), do a quick out and back to Hidden Treasure before making your way back. Be prepared to be out there all day if you do BB to EH. :thumbsup: It took us nearly 8 hours with bikepacking gear to get from EH to a little before Hidden Treasure (a quick stop at BCC Chevron). The longer option would be get someone to drive you from Cordes Junction to the Old Cordes and bomb down to Crown King Rd, then start at the end of BCT.

BTW, I am still hoping to finish my exploring up in the Bradshaws to make a one-day loop out of this ride.

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Walt,

Start at the top where Dale mentions and end at EH. Plenty of parking there for the shuttle vehicle. Definitely bring a filter. Keep the crew small to keep the speed up.

When are you doing this monster of a ride? I think when Jeff, Gangi, Will did the BB road (Arrastre Creek) to EH is was over 35 miles and they hustled a pretty quick time even with Jeff's almost destroyed hub. Make sure you have food and water at your end point. You will be famished. BBQ pits at EH if I remember correctly.

·
Banned
1,111 Posts
YuriB said:
Yup, that was us.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

That water was so good. By far the longest ride I have taken on my single speed, but it was great.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Chad, the old jeep roads that drop off from Sunset Point cross over private property at Bumble Bee Ranch. Not recommended unless you ask permission first. Also, I would leave a car at the rest area. The rest area is not for long term parking and you could get a ticket and/or towed.

azepicriderandrunner said:
I would leave cars at EH and get a ride over to Sunset Rest Stop, drop down to the BCT via the road (see Google aerial shots), do a quick out and back to Hidden Treasure before making your way back. Be prepared to be out there all day if you do BB to EH. :thumbsup: It took us nearly 8 hours with bikepacking gear to get from EH to a little before Hidden Treasure (a quick stop at BCC Chevron). The longer option would be get someone to drive you from Cordes Junction to the Old Cordes and bomb down to Crown King Rd, then start at the end of BCT.

BTW, I am still hoping to finish my exploring up in the Bradshaws to make a one-day loop out of this ride.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Epicrider said:
Chad, the old jeep roads that drop off from Sunset Point cross over private property at Bumble Bee Ranch. Not recommended unless you ask permission first. Also, I would leave a car at the rest area. The rest area is not for long term parking and you could get a ticket and/or towed.
Ah thanks, Dale. I had a local Bumble Bee resident tell me that the road was okay. BTW, I saw some singletrack near Old Cordes when we did our bikepacking trip. Have they started that section of the BCT to Mayer yet?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts