Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There's been chatter about doing a big BCT ride. Looks like a nice week ahead, so the water in the crossings will be down, plus it's a good pre-24HITOP endurance ride.

Sunday at 8 am FIP from the Table Mesa Rd. trailhead.

Let's do it. Good SS ride.

·
Something goes here...
2,055 Posts
Never been out there so count me in.

(Unless the wife comes up with something....)

·
Registered
589 Posts
me too

waltaz said:
There's been chatter about doing a big BCT ride. Looks like a nice week ahead, so the water in the crossings will be down, plus it's a good pre-24HITOP endurance ride.

I suggest Sunday since I can't make Saturday.

Whaddya think...?
I'm in too. The earlier the start time the better for me. (if you're taking suggestions that is!!!! )

Tiff

·
Dave
899 Posts
Sunday

Saturday they are having a big grand opening (some part of trail not whole thing) I was thinking of going Sat but if more people ride Sunday then I'm in for Sunday. What time is good, coming from E valley. Have never ridden this BCT yet. I hear nothing but good stuff though. Are you thinking of doing the "whole thing"? Miles???

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AZ Mikey said:
Keep an eye on the water flow out there, Dale posted a great link in another BCT post with USGS water flow data.
Mean discharge as of yesterday was 561cfs, which is about half of what it was four days ago. The forecast for the week is good, so it should go below the 300 cfs that Dale recommends. Probably still want to bring some sandals for at least two crossings, I'd imagine.

liteandfast - From the 101 and Shea in Scottsdale, I'd allow a good 45 minutes. And yes, this would be the whole thing, which I think is 25-30 miles, round trip. Probably 4-5 hours.

Tiffany - I'm thinking an 8 am start due to the length of the ride. Also, I don't think it's going to be super cold Saturday night, so 8 should be OK.

·
Monte Su Bici Maldita
336 Posts
I'm in for this one as well. Tiff and I were already planning to go out and ride it on Sunday anyways.

8am's the plan?

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mtnbykr06 said:
I'm in for this one as well. Tiff and I were already planning to go out and ride it on Sunday anyways.

8am's the plan?
8 am it is...:thumbsup:

·
3,049 Posts
Birthday ride

I seem to keep getting old, so this wouldn't be such a bad way to celebrate. If we don't go backpacking, I'm there, yo.

:p

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
alas...

doh this one I can't make. have fun!

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
waltaz said:
Mean discharge as of yesterday was 561cfs, which is about half of what it was four days ago. The forecast for the week is good, so it should go below the 300 cfs that Dale recommends. Probably still want to bring some sandals for at least two crossings, I'd imagine.
Sandals schmandals. I was out there w/MonkeyButt about a month ago and the washes were flowing briskly. Some of us tried to ride through the washes (unsuccessfully)...others tried to hop along the rocks (again, unsuccessfully)...and others just walked through the water. None of us had sandals and we all got soaked...but nobody complained. :thumbsup:

You are guaranteed to get your feet wet on this ride. And if you bring sandals, you're guaranteed to be called a p*ssy. :D

Arizona must be the only place on Earth where anybody would even think of bringing along additional footwear. Every other place I've ridden, getting your feet wet is just part of a good day on the bike.

This is a really fun ride. I can't wait.

Oh...one other thing...it's rocky as sh!t out there. For anybody doing the full meal deal, I don't recommend a hardtail as it will wear you down.

Thx...Doug

·
I am Walt
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dgangi said:
Oh...one other thing...it's rocky as sh!t out there. For anybody doing the full meal deal, I don't recommend a hardtail as it will wear you down.
Who's the p*ssy now...

You obviously need larger wheels...

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
waltaz said:
Who's the p*ssy now...

You obviously need larger wheels...
Uh huh. I took my old SS out on T100 yesterday for about 3 hrs and was dying from the pain -- ass + wrists are sore since they got pounded to death (fighting off some tendonitis in the left wrist). A steel 29'er SS with a suspension fork that actually works is in my near future. I dunno what I'm going to do with the old Trek...I just can't part with it.

I rode the NRS last time at BCT and it was soooooo damn rocky in spots that it started bugging my wrists. I'm going to bring the Motolite this time around just so I can enjoy a little more cush.

Jeez...I guess I am a p*ssy now.

Thx...Doug

·
Something goes here...
2,055 Posts
dgangi said:
A steel 29'er SS with a suspension fork that actually works is in my near future.
If you ride Time pedals, we can swap rides for a bit at BCT. The Vassago rides great. It'll probably be too big for you though.

dgangi said:
Jeez...I guess I am a p*ssy now.
Yes, you are. ;)

(But you still kick the crap outta this old soul on the trails. Which is why you're so [email protected] intimidating!!!)

dgangi said:
I dunno what I'm going to do with the old Trek...I just can't part with it.
I'm sure it will make some nice wall art in the garage. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
I'm sure it will make some nice wall art in the garage. :thumbsup:
I just changed my Niner from SS to a 1x9. Not sure what to do with it now! Just can't see taking it out anymore with the El Rey handy.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts