Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An adventuresome twist on an eipc ride...come see how it rolls at night!

We'll launch at 6 pm from the Black Canyon City trailhead, go south, do the Little Pan Loop CCW, then complete the lollipop on the return. Previous larger group rides have done this in about 6 hours during the day; smaller groups in about 3-4 hours. I'm thinking about 5 hours for this, with the first 1 1/2 - 2 hours in the daylight (which should get us to the intersection with Little Pan). The remainder of the ride will be done in the dark, though there will be a Waxing Gibbous moon to help light the way (somewhat).

That means you'll need at least a 3-hour burn-time (like, as an absolute minimum...) on your light battery(ies) to make it back, or be able to deal with the trail in pale moonlight. Do whatever you need to do to back things up to ensure you're personal safety on a remote trail at night, blah, blah, blah...

It will be hot and humid (monsoon), and the sun will still be up at 6 pm, but most of the intial riding will be climbing the east side of a couple of ridges, so that should be in the shade. As always with this ride, make sure to pack plenty of hydration and snacks/food/energy sources. When we hit the Little Pan Loop (head of the lollipop), there is the opportunity to drop food/water/drinks to pick up on the way back.

Here's a couple other threads with info:
Previous Full-Meal Deal with directions,etc:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=386431&highlight=full+meal+deal

Recent post with various discourse:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=426361

This is a truly great ride; not technical, but demanding, with the added spice of night riding. Not for beginners, and previous experience on the trail is recommended, though not necessary.

Oh, almost forgot, bring some beers for midnight post-tide refreshments...:thumbsup: Grills are optional...

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
I'm in. The light is still an issue. Hopefully by then I'll have (a) a second battery or (b) a new longer lasting light. Dale's idea of riding the climbs with a Petzl light is intriguing.

BTW - who's bringing the snake bite kit?? I guarantee the critters will be out in full force. :D

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Ya we'll need to watch for those turtles that love cruising the BCT. Ran into one in the middle of the day about a month ago right by that nicely made rock bridge.
Later.

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
dgangi said:
I'm in. The light is still an issue. Hopefully by then I'll have (a) a second battery or (b) a new longer lasting light. Dale's idea of riding the climbs with a Petzl light is intriguing.

BTW - who's bringing the snake bite kit?? I guarantee the critters will be out in full force. :D

Thx...Doug
Petzls? Are you crazy?

Oh wait, I did that once on an overnight trip with some zipties. I ended up riding about over Lemmon and almost to the Gila before riding home. It works, I can attest.

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
I hope the heat breaks a bit for this ride. 6pm will be HOT! Last night we left the house at 7pm for a night ride and it was still 111° and it did not cool down by the time we were finished. Also, monsoons will need to be taken into account for this ride if thunderstorms develop. But we'll assess that when it gets closer.

Yes, Walt...go up to Flag this weekend! Just make it a day trip if you can't do the weekend.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm actually in Omaha all this week, until Sunday, at the USA Swimming Olympic Trials...cool stuff! Have been lifting and spinning a couple times at a local gym, but not the same as being on the bike.

Yeah, it will be HOT at 6 pm, but we'll deal with it. Monsoon storms are a different matter, and, as su.ling noted, we'll assess next weekend.

·
Something goes here...
2,069 Posts
I'll be in the PAc NW riding in 70 degree temps and buttery smooth super fast downhills.

Besides, I'd only cramp.

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
One thing we will have to watch for on this upcoming ride is the weather. This coming weekend the forecasts are predicting cooler temps, but a tropical storm (possible brief hurricane) off Baja Mexico may bring in alot of moisture and some hefty monsoon storms.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.