Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on if it rains a buddy and I were thinking of riding BCT on Friday starting at Rock springs about 10ish am. I just need to know if the river is going to be passable by then. Anyone have an idea about that? I know right now it's probably too high & fast but if it doesn't rain anymore should it be simple to cross like other days? I just rode T-100 and as usual two hours after any rains the trail is nice as long as you don't go hitting the brakes hard and ripping the trail, just a few water holes here and there. I am guessing that BCT is well made to handle riding even after the recent rains? Any update would save time & trouble.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
there is a web based system that reports the water flow rate of the Aqua Fria. search throught the BCT reports. I know the link had been posted many times. Maybe Epicrider will refresh our memories with the linky linky.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Look for the BCT epic threads from Feb/Mar, 2008. Dale (epicrider) posted the link to the water flow data in those, plus the parameters you need to watch for.

IMO, the flow will be too high tomorrow and this weekend, due to the two big storms that have rolled through. The Agua Fria watershed draws from a large area to the north.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Maadjurguer said:
I don't know about 300cfs....but the gauge shows a little less than 4 feet of water right now....seems like a lot to me....
I am far from an authority on this one, but I believe the numbers in the Discharge Column(s) are per 1,000.

The Gage Height could show 3.5', and have a Discharge of 0 cfs.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
the 4 feet is not where one would cross the river. so that is some what unrelaiable. open your data mining to include 11/24-12/18. you'll see a large ran event that caused a spike in flow beyond the save level.

the gauge "height" only doubled. but the CFS went up two orders of magnitude.

·
aka Diesel
1,249 Posts
I was going to chance it yesterday and decided against it. Too long of a drive to depend on reports and bravado. It's all fun and games until somebody's floating face-down in the river. :shocked:

·
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's only a 25 minute drive from my place to there so that's not an issue for me. Thanks for the info, I figured it would be a little high right now but I know information from those that actualy done it or seen the flow after a rain storm would be better than reports that don't let you know about the specific area of question, I also know just because it's drying out here doesn't mean a lot more water from up north won't be flooding it here.
All is fine, I'll just ride McDowell Mtn Ranch over to the Regional park or ? instead. so many choices of places to ride that I can't decide right now.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
TacoBeer said:
It's only a 25 minute drive from my place to there so that's not an issue for me. Thanks for the info, .
its about twice the flow as the last time i was there. one could ride or skip across the steping stones to cross. it was muddy at the river banks thought. search for SuLings MTB Uuugg boots.

I would think if it did go up (any) then a suficiantly motivated person could cross safely. (disregaurd this statement. goldbergace has the proper levels. this storm peak was over a 1000 cfs, 60 day high)

U2metwo: do you remember the work day (crap 2 winters ago) that we had to use a rope to cross. the flat water was boyz deep (I'm 6'2") and 70 feet across. Did i mention there was ice on the banks when we waded across?

To ensure longevity they should install zip lines high above the river!

·
AZ Biker Chick
169 Posts
Agua Fria - current reading

Here is the current link for CFS and guage height:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow

ID # 09512800 under the Lower Gila River Drainage section -
I cut and pasted the most current reading from 3:30pm below - 430 cfs and guage height above 6.

AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ 12/18 15:30 6.17guage height 430cfs

Might go down by Sat afternoon/Sun morn after the rain water drains out == As long as it doesn't get to warm and melt the frozen stuff above to add to the draining.

Could be kicky to cross = the wider crossings o.k. but the first one coming from the bottom up could be a challenge. My 20cents.

·
Just another half mile...
1,092 Posts
Looks like it peak at over a 1000cfs, which is a pretty good flow. Similar to the last big storm a couple of weeks ago, which th eflow subsided in a few days. at 5:30, the flow is 354 cfs. Should be down close or under 100 cfs by the weekend, easiy enough to cross, but it will be muddy and look out for quick sand areas in the flat wide areas. Cross were it's rocky.

goldbergace said:
Here is the current link for CFS and guage height:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/az/nwis/current/?type=flow

ID # 09512800 under the Lower Gila River Drainage section -
I cut and pasted the most current reading from 3:30pm below - 430 cfs and guage height above 6.

AGUA FRIA RIVER NEAR ROCK SPRINGS, AZ 12/18 15:30 6.17guage height 430cfs

Might go down by Sat afternoon/Sun morn after the rain water drains out == As long as it doesn't get to warm and melt the frozen stuff above to add to the draining.

Could be kicky to cross = the wider crossings o.k. but the first one coming from the bottom up could be a challenge. My 20cents.

·
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did the BCT ride last Friday the 12th and the water was low enough to ride through so I just got my toes a little wet, I'm sure now it's a soaker. I plan on riding McDowell Ranch in the morning starting at the 105th street park about 10:30...ish. ride all day or however long it takes (I never rode over to McDowell park though) eat, drink and be merry at Four Peaks after. Hope to see some others out on the trail, wave at the single speeder looking like he's going to die and I'll wave back if I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.