Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I usually need two days between rides for my knees to settle down. But I couldn't face another boring down day. So I took some extra Norco, turned my spinal cord stimulator up higher than ever, and finally got in that BCT 50 miler. Missed the trail a few times but that just gave me more mileage. No shuttle, out and back in both directions from Black Canyon City.

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/463149368

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Thanks guys! This solo ride is one of my proudest accomplishments ever, especially as I approach 65 years young! I was concerned about the heat later in the day so I didn't go as far north as I could have. But I really paid for it going south from the BCT trailhead at 44 miles! By far the toughest section and it came at the end of the ride.

Attachments

·
GONE
27,411 Posts
Yes, in fact, you should have simply started off of bumble bee road and went all the way up to Mayer and back.
I'm a little confused. Do you ride BCT from North to South or vice versa? Gonna do this one a week from now. I'll be riding with someone who has done part of it once starting from the North but he doesn't know his way around there so any help would be most appreciated. Where exactly should we start and turn around for a nice 20ish mile ride out and back? We will be coming from Phoenix. Thanks.

Sorry for the thread jump Wherewolf!

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No

Yes, in fact, you should have simply started off of bumble bee road and went all the way up to Mayer and back.
No, because south from Mayer is nearly 9 miles of not very exciting riding. I did it last ride. So an out and back would be a total of nearly 18 miles of not very exciting riding. I knew exactly which section I wanted to ride, but I had to turn back in case it got hot later in the day.

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...Do you ride BCT from North to South or vice versa? ...Where exactly should we start and turn around for a nice 20ish mile ride out and back?
I rode north from Black Canyon City for 23 miles, turned around and went south past BCC for about 4 miles, then north back to BCC. North from BCC is much easier than going south. Go out about 10 miles, turn around and go back the same way.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Hawg, if you have a gps and can follow a route on it, it will be much easier at BCT. The whole 70+ miles of trail goes between some singletrack and 2-track along it's length. Although most of the places are signed, there are some easy to miss turns as evidenced by WW's track. Going south from BCC and around the pan loop is the "classic" BCT ride of about 24 miles but will give you quite the workout w/ some 3500 ft of climbing. A nice out and back would be to go the same way and turn around when you reached the top of the pan loop. If you start at the Bumble Bee TH (which is called Gloriana Mine TH) and go north, you'll have to cross a fairly major road after about 5 miles. That can get a bit confusing if you don't have a map or GPS. If you need a gpx file, give me a holler...

·
GONE
27,411 Posts
I see where Wherewolf parked in a big parking lot near Warner Road.

Is it considered safe to park there while riding the trail?

Is there likely to be other riders parked there on a weekend this Spring?

Is that the main parking area for hitting the trail from the South to head North?

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see where Wherewolf parked in a big parking lot near Warner Road.

Is it considered safe to park there while riding the trail?

Is there likely to be other riders parked there on a weekend this Spring?

Is that the main parking area for hitting the trail from the South to head North?
Yes
Yes
Yes

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.