Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the bolt center diameter for the 2002 Redline Monocog? I can't find the number anywhere, and am looking to go to a smaller chaining, because I'm new to the single speed mtb thing and my legs are weak af and can't hang with the typical 38/19 gearing on technical kinda stuff.

Sent from my LM-X212(G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, good points. In not the original owner, so as best as I can tell it's the original chainring. The cranks are original for sure.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,788 Posts
What brand of crank? Got pics?

Most likely 110, the smallest chainring you can get on a 130 bcd crank is 39 tooth.

Reactions: NDD

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldn't find anything but a standard non metric tape measure, but converted and it came out to just above 110mm. The surly guide lined up with 110. I think it's 110.

The crank is some house branded generic crank that says Redline. No info on the webz. I now know everything I need to know. Thanks, y'all.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Couldn't find anything but a standard non metric tape measure, but converted and it came out to just above 110mm. The surly guide lined up with 110. I think it's 110.

The crank is some house branded generic crank that says Redline. No info on the webz. I now know everything I need to know. Thanks, y'all.

Id toss an old xt crank or race face in your bike and start with a 32 ring. That 38 is massive. I thought that was an error when i read it.

I got a race face 104 bcd for 30 bucks shipped with a ring.

Good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Two wheels, handle bars
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately 38 was not a typo. Keep in mind, this bike has 26" wheels, but it still seems a bit high. I was thinking of dropping to 34t. I would hope that's low enough. Admittedly I'm not a very strong rider, but picking up this bike was a way to force myself into being a better rider. 38/19 sucks when you pick a bad line in a rock garden, though. Still a wicked fun way to ride.

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Unfortunately 38 was not a typo. Keep in mind, this bike has 26" wheels, but it still seems a bit high. I was thinking of dropping to 34t. I would hope that's low enough. Admittedly I'm not a very strong rider, but picking up this bike was a way to force myself into being a better rider. 38/19 sucks when you pick a bad line in a rock garden, though. Still a wicked fun way to ride.
Yeah, it took me a second to figure that out. A 39 is the traditional small ring on my road crankset. Most are smaller than that now.

A 21 or 22 cog would be between a 34-18 and almost to a 34-20.

I really like bikecalc. It shows you how different gear ratios across different ring and cog sizes.

Blue Green Colorfulness Text Line

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.