Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serious trail work is in progress at Bent Creek. Although I did not ride it, HardTimes connector has seen machinery work right off Hardtimes road. Pine Tree paralleling the creek and Explorer from Sleepy Gap down to Pine tree have both seen machine work as well.

Be aware. It's pretty shocking when you see it.

Mike

·
Registered
864 Posts
Talked to one of workers

I rode up on a group of workers, which were wearing orange with the words "inmate" printed on their outfits. He said in broken English that they were cutting the trees so we do not bumb our heads. They were removing all the small trees that were close to the trail side.
I replied that we really like bumping our head and they were really making a mess..
he said "se habla espanol".........
Our tax dollars hard at work...

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TD- that's only funny because it is by itself. What's happening on these trails is not.

I did ride the Explorer/Pine Tree sections. When Gabe says they're being "sanitized," he ain't kidding. Pine Tree along the creek has always been one of the best sections of trail at BC- be prepared- it's vastly different. Trees have been cut down for a much wider corridor. The trail has been re-routed away from the "root challenge," of all the stupid things...and these were just the things that were noticeable at night.
I could understand when they developed Sidehill into a road for the expiremental forest, as that was part of the "primary misson" of BC...I don't have all (or any, really) of the information about this, but just can't see where it was a) necessary or b) part of the mission of an "expiremental forest."

Probably just another plot by the government to make me use more fossil fuel by forcing me to drive further to ride... :rolleyes:
Mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Trail Sanitization

Things like this is exactly why I wanted to start a SORBA chapter here. The thing is we have to be active. I finally realized it would get worse and worse, and all the while all I did was ***** about it. The truth is the only way to help the situation is to do it from within the system. There is bound to be a way to do responsible trail work while maintaining the natural obsticles (roots, rocks, and even the occasional small log). There will be places where a choice will have to be made to do away with a fun section in order to keep silt out of a stream etc.. Ok that is a responsible decision. The thing is the Forest Service is looking at it from a different perspective. I don't believe anyone has ever approached them in a friendly and civil way to explain the perspective of the mountain bike rider. They probably think they are helping us. I don't want to belittle anyone but, I think the technical style riders have not been representing themselves, while less technical oriented riders have been at the table representing mountain bikes. I say thank god some one was representing us. Now we see that if we want a say in how things are being done we have to get involved. I think the forest service would be willing to work with us if we asked them. In kind we should be willing to work with them. If for instance the folks on this thread had been up there with SORBA across their backs doing the work, the way the trail looked would have been different. Somebody was out there working, it could have been me instead.

·
Category Winner
6,130 Posts
Yup

Mike Brown said:
TD- that's only funny because it is by itself. What's happening on these trails is not.

I am amazed at what the government can do to affect our lives at every level just because someone decided he thought it would be a good idea. I feel for you guys. I can't really express just how frustrated I am when this kinda thing happens.
I only lasted 2.5 months working for Mecklenburg Co. When I saw how bureaucracy worked I wanted to vomit. I actually felt green when my manager would hold "stand-up meetings".

My condolences.

BTW thanks for keeping us up to date. If you hear more I would like to know what is going on. Funny, a rider doing unapproved maintenance is breaking the law, BUT take some inmates into the woods with some tools (and no real trail experience) and that's just okee dokee.

·
Jackbooted Elitist Hipstr
747 Posts
Say it ain't so

That "root challenge" was one of my favorite features of BC. Bummer.

So when's the nest Pisgah SORBA meeting set for? Should we call/write anyone now with the USFS to give them feedback? I have an extra copy of IMBA's trailbuilding book I could give the crew. It ain't in spanish though.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Enduro- Exactly. Can't wait to be more involved. Sorry about my grousing, but this really suprised me. I do my best to stay informed, but reading about "Hurricane Damage Recovery" in the October Planned Actions 2005 report did not prepare me for this.

I do wonder if SORBA even could have done this work or, if because it was paid work, it would have to be an approved contractor (using inmates, though?).

SP- Second Weds. of the month. For now, plan on the Skyland FD meeting room at 7p. If anybody knows of a free space centrally located between Brevard and Aville that could accomadate 20-30 people, PM me or Enduro.

Thanks, y'all. Mike

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Hey Mike, is the next meeting on the 11th of January. How much does it cost to join and what, if anything do I need to bring. This really bothers me what is happening to the Bent Creek area. I haven't had a chance to ride there in a while and see what is going on first hand, but it is one of my favorite places. I guess it is time for the mountain bikers in our community to band together. Count me in.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mike Brown said:
Enduro- Exactly. Can't wait to be more involved. Sorry about my grousing, but this really suprised me. I do my best to stay informed, but reading about "Hurricane Damage Recovery" in the October Planned Actions 2005 report did not prepare me for this.

I do wonder if SORBA even could have done this work or, if because it was paid work, it would have to be an approved contractor (using inmates, though?).

SP- Second Weds. of the month. For now, plan on the Skyland FD meeting room at 7p. If anybody knows of a free space centrally located between Brevard and Aville that could accomadate 20-30 people, PM me or Enduro.

Thanks, y'all. Mike
No on the contrary, grousing is good as long as it is backed up by action. I don't know if SORBA could have done this particular work, but if we had exsisted a couple of years ago and been where we need to be we might have. We are where we are. Now we have a chance to keep unimaginatative trail work from spreading to Pisgah, and god forbid Turkey Pen. I hope we can convince some "professionals" that the root challange could have been saved even if the trail had been rerouted on either side. I think this is a perfect example. I bet whoever did the work would not believe that many riders, men and women, would ride over that root with pride. As far as who to write to. I don't know right now. However in a years time we will know, and hopfully in advance of the work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.