Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since rain was in the forecast for tomorrow and my work was all on cruise control for today, I'd head out to BCT for a nice long ride... With the new miles on the north end, I figured I'd do the AES route, but ride the road all the way up towards Cordes then jump on the trail. That was the plan I hatched last night after 4 gin and tonics...

This morning, with a slight headache, and a promise made to myself to NEVER not do a ride I plan while drinking, I headed up the highway and parked next to the big white pill (propane tank at Rock Springs trailhead). Heading up the paved road through Black Canyon City to the left turn at the dog track...or dog crack...wtf? (first photo). I guess "Dog Crack" offended the PC people of BCC?

Ok...continuing on up maggie mine road all the way up towards Cordes I took a break as I started the single track all the way back down...(2nd photo). Snapping a few photos along the way photos 3-6, it was just a perfect day of single track sweetness. We are so lucky to have this...damn.

Finally, crossing the river the last time and climbing up those well cut switchbacks...I noticed the WT toy houses in BCC..

great day, perfect weather, and amazing trail...

Attachments

·
Break it, Fix it, Ride it
1,940 Posts
That new section is looking reeeeeally good. That's a great addition to the AES route. How much time did it add on to our 7.5 hours? Great day to be out as well. My last few rides, I think I almost burnt my neck. Not bad for February I suppose! Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Raybum said:
Ride stats per garmin connect are...
Time: 05:53:12
Distance: 49.56 mi
Elevation Gain: 5,351 ft
Sweet ride, do you rough idea how much time/mileage the road section was before you hit the singletrack? and what gearing did you run?

Thanks.

·
Ahhh the pain....
2,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BritMtnBiker said:
Sweet ride, do you rough idea how much time/mileage the road section was before you hit the singletrack? and what gearing did you run?

Thanks.
Its about 21 miles of road before jumping on the single track which which took about 2 hrs. There are a couple good climbs on the dirt road, the first just north of Black Canyon City, then the second right before the single track. The last one is 1000ft climb up the dirt road.
I ran 32x21, but you could definitely do steeper gearing. At the end of the ride, there are a set of switchbacks to climb and I was happy I had that gearing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts