Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They just posted the registered racers list on the BC Bike Race website, and there are only 63 teams signed up! I am suprised there are not more (150 team limit), anyone out there considering this race? I am very happy to be entered, and am sure it will be fun no matter how many teams show up. I know that Trans Rockies, and Trans Alps both sell out extremely fast, is it a case of the BC Bike Race being the new guy in town? Maybe there is a conflict with another big event? MTBR has a couple of regulars signed up, and Chris Eatough is also participating. I imagined an arena rock concert atmosphere, I guess it will be more of an intimate club setting....................

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
8Track and I are in - we are Team SlowMoSapiens.....getting excited about it already :thumbsup:

edit: Got confirmation of final payment received (online, email, visa bill) but my team is not on the site list.....urrrr...i have an email into them asking what's up.

·
Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
750 Posts
Lynda & I are in the mixed field. I'm surprised at how few teams are registered as well - they were advertising 70% capacity awhile back.

It's gotta be a combination of being the new race in town and being fairly close, both time-wise and geographically, to Trans Rockies.

It's all good though and I look forward to sampling some more fine BC dirt.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
teamdicky said:
....We ain't number two on the list cause we're sexy.
ya got that right......;)

smack talk already.....hmmm...if was remotely fast/tough/strong/handsome/coordinated/...or even full of verve, i would have somethin' to say....but since i lack any/all of the aforementioned qualities i'll back outta this post...quietly...keepin' eye contact....and making no sudden moves.....

·
Read Only
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sun Summit South/Driver-Melton

Our bio says it all. I could act as if bravado was my middle name, but that would be a lot of lying on my part.

·
Registered
408 Posts
i'm in

I was gettin' worried that my only racing miles would be close to home this year, after my KTR trip got nixed. then this popped up. I am majorly stoked cant believe it is coming up fast

If you look at the team names you can guess which one I'm on :) We'll be taking notes from Dave & Lynda.

seeya soon in Victoria...

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
alright...this is starting to tick me off...:madmax:

[RANT]
paid (on time) both installments...on the 2nd installment BC Bike Race double charged my Visa (prolly an online submission glitch)......I called/emailed about the situation and never heard back...sooooo i had Visa remove one of the 2 charges (on the double charge only).....and I still cannot get any resolution/confirmation tha I am in fact fully registered...all I have received is 2 emails saying they are looking into it (over a period of a week)....this after multiple emails and VM's.

You'd think a $3000.00 entry fee would get some sort of customer service or timely response....i didn't spend thousands of $'s to be friggin' ignored
[/RANT]

am i being a prima donna here????....maybe a bit of a whiny baby????....could it be nerves 'cause this is my first race out of country...and my first multiple stage race????....should i take a chill-pill.....or call'em every hour on the hour????...gawd...i need to lay off the coffee.....UGH!!

·
Category Winner
6,095 Posts
Although I'm pretty confident that it will all be worked out I'd be pretty crazed too. Until I have these things booked from door to door I am usually quite neurotic. They've always been able to get around to my problems eventually.

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
teamdicky said:
Although I'm pretty confident that it will all be worked out I'd be pretty crazed too. Until I have these things booked from door to door I am usually quite neurotic. They've always been able to get around to my problems eventually.
OK...OK.....deep breath innnnnn......deep breath ouuuuut.......ohmmmm.....visualizing sand gardens....tai-chi.....green meadows with friendly bunnies.......babbling brooks.....ugh...now i have michael bolton stuck in my melon :eek: ....i am sooo not a new age dude....gonna go and crush out some hill sprints to relieve my tension.....then have a couple of cervezas...appreciate the post :thumbsup:

·
Registered
408 Posts
sorry to hear...

of your frustration, my reg went through no prob, but my partner did have issues trying to use her AMEX initially.

I imagine the race organizers are getting into their own zone of nerves & frustration, and getting a lot more calls & emails right now. I can only imagine the logistics going into this thing. Not making excuses for them ignoring you but having been on the other side I guess I am always a little sympathetic to promoters. How they handle the exception cases (like accidental double charges) will be the measure of cust support as it is for any business.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
alrighty....i'm off the coffee....and switched to Red Bull.....i'm much better now...;)

and you're right....the logistics in getting this race together must be like trying to herd cats with a garden hose....tricky at best....

kretzel said:
of your frustration, my reg went through no prob, but my partner did have issues trying to use her AMEX initially.

I imagine the race organizers are getting into their own zone of nerves & frustration, and getting a lot more calls & emails right now. I can only imagine the logistics going into this thing. Not making excuses for them ignoring you but having been on the other side I guess I am always a little sympathetic to promoters. How they handle the exception cases (like accidental double charges) will be the measure of cust support as it is for any business.

Cheers,

·
Super Moderator
8,633 Posts
whew!....my freakout is OVER....Kathy at BC Bike Race relations has insured me that i/we are in fact fully registered......now i can calm down.....maybe i should put a "hold" on caffeine for a while..;)

·
3,049 Posts
"Lynda Wallenfells of North Vancouver.."!!!

Guess they decided to do something about that St. George heat...

·
Big "T"
369 Posts
Ultra mtb racing in North America is a small community. There are a few pros and a fair number of obsessive amateur riders. Among those numbers only a small fraction are going to commit themselves to a week long monster race like this. Trans Rockies definately has all the hype and gravity to suck in most of those people.

While there are obviously a few pros who can pick whatever races they want (without worrying about cost), the majority of professional racers out there are on very limited budgets. Looking at what goes on in our house, cost is the biggest issue. The budget needed to do a race like this is two to three times what it will cost for us to travel to 24 hr Nats or even 24 hr Worlds. BC is a rediculous expensive place to travel to. Add in nearly 2 weeks of travel time (for two people...three if our Mechanic goes too) and you've burned up some insane cabbage.

BC is a new event. It's run by the right people and it's got some big names this year. My guess is the press and the buzz from the inagural running will pull in more people for next years race.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts