Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are having a decent sale right and communication with them is much better 2 other places I was looking at buying the kit from. Only thing I could get from them was a smaller better sprocket so I may upgrade that shortly but this build is for my wife and she doesnt ride much so no rush. It will be my 1st attempt at a kit anf its on a Motobecane Boris fat bike. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I looked up your link
Even in the age of sensorship this discussion was about a 1000 w motor which fits your guideline
not that there is any reason for that
My reading says even 2500 wattsis legal offroad

So lets explain the need for the guideline,OK?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal. I looked at the website and see that they will upgrade the battery from 11.6 amp-hours to 17.5 amp-hours for $150. I'd highly recommend going with the bigger battery for that little difference -- you're getting 50% more capacity. Do it even if you think you won't need that much...because you will!!! ;)

And a BBSHD can easily be programmed as a street-legal Class 2 bike...I have two of them and they both are.

·
Cat Herder
4,730 Posts
I looked up your link
Even in the age of sensorship this discussion was about a 1000 w motor which fits your guideline

I don't need to explain anything, it's clearly not class I or II and falls outside of the forums rules which by the way I didn't write. Feel free to the admin if you feel wronged or slighted.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I looked up your link
Technically it says, "Add-on motors, limit discussions to under 1000 watt varieties". The bbs-hd is 1000w, not under 1000w.

I sell the bafang bbs02 750w motor kits, they make so much more sense if you like to ride bikes. The HD is too powerful and spins too fast (130 rpm) to have much of a bicycle feel. When you pedal there is never any resistance, unless you are allowing the motor to bog down. This is a sure fire way to burn up your bafang kit.

I think that is why the site wants to limit discussions to motors that enhance the bicycle and bicycle "riding" experience, not discussions about kits that take over the bike and turn it in to a scooter with a throttle and no need to pedal at all.

I am very pro Bike & eBike for the record.

·
Cycologist
10,324 Posts
I looked up your link

The guideline says:

"Add-on motors, limit discussions to under 1000 watt varieties"

EDIT: thanks BikeStore Mike.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Technically it says, "Add-on motors, limit discussions to under 1000 watt varieties". The bbs-hd is 1000w, not under 1000w.

I sell the bafang bbs02 750w motor kits, they make so much more sense if you like to ride bikes. The HD is too powerful and spins too fast (130 rpm) to have much of a bicycle feel. When you pedal there is never any resistance, unless you are allowing the motor to bog down. This is a sure fire way to burn up your bafang kit.

I think that is why the site wants to limit discussions to motors that enhance the bicycle and bicycle "riding" experience, not discussions about kits that take over the bike and turn it in to a scooter with a throttle and no need to pedal at all.

I am very pro Bike & eBike for the record.
The BBSHD is stamped 750 watts and if you reprogram them they can be far more bike like, and the newer ones, depending on manufacturer come stock as a much more bike like motor. The bbs02 is not commonly found in wide bottom bracket spindle lengths. The bbs02 can have less of a bike like feel depending on where the motor was programmed. I would rather have the BBSHD over the bbs02 as it has a beefier design and in my experience its easier to program.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The BBSHD is stamped 750 watts and if you reprogram them they can be far more bike like, and the newer ones, depending on manufacturer come stock as a much more bike like motor. The bbs02 is not commonly found in wide bottom bracket spindle lengths. The bbs02 can have less of a bike like feel depending on where the motor was programmed. I would rather have the BBSHD over the bbs02 as it has a beefier design and in my experience its easier to program.
They are stamped 750w to be "legal" for sale in the U.S. One U.S. seller sells a 2500w bbs-hd that the motor is still stamped 750w. To each thier own.

I convert the bbs-02 units with aftermarket long axles and install them on fat bikes often.

I have sold many of these kits and they all have come programmed exactly the same. Typically I set the amps back to 18a and the motor acts like a 500w motor and install a 32t front ring, (something that is quite expensive to do on an HD model).

The bbs02 comes in 250/350w models that are far lighter units and this also adds to the bike still feeling like a bike effect. The robustness of the HD is overkill on a bicycle for most riders of average size. Why pay for the power and extra weight if you are going to scale it back anyway?

I am glad you are happy with your HD. I'll continue to sell the bbs02 kits. Fat Tire Bike and Kit $2000, people love them!

·
Registered
375 Posts
They are stamped 750w to be "legal" for sale in the U.S. One U.S. seller sells a 2500w bbs-hd that the motor is still stamped 750w. To each thier own.

I convert the bbs-02 units with aftermarket long axles and install them on fat bikes often.

I have sold many of these kits and they all have come programmed exactly the same. Typically I set the amps back to 18a and the motor acts like a 500w motor and install a 32t front ring, (something that is quite expensive to do on an HD model).

The bbs02 comes in 250/350w models that are far lighter units and this also adds to the bike still feeling like a bike effect. The robustness of the HD is overkill on a bicycle for most riders of average size. Why pay for the power and extra weight if you are going to scale it back anyway?

I am glad you are happy with your HD. I'll continue to sell the bbs02 kits. Fat Tire Bike and Kit $2000, people love them!
Got a link to installing the aftermarket spindle? Got a link to the 32 tooth chainring? The extra weight is nice in the security that the motor won't fry under surprise load, but I can understand your partiality towards the bbs02 for the average rider.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Got a link to installing the aftermarket spindle? Got a link to the 32 tooth chainring? The extra weight is nice in the security that the motor won't fry under surprise load, but I can understand your partiality towards the bbs02 for the average rider.
Old style long axle retro fit:

Dave over at California e-Bike sells a better kit and it doesn't require the same technical skill set to install as shown in the video above.
Dave's install video is here:

The only affiliation I have with California e-Bikes is that of a user of their products.

The bbs-o2 has available a crank adapter for $20 that allows you to bolt on a standard 104mm bolt circle chainring to the motor, down to a 30t.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=bafang+104+adapter&_sacat=0

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have yet to see a BBS02 kit wide enough to clear the 100mm bb otherwise thats what I would have gotten. But I am in the market to put a small front sprocket on since they didnt have those.

·
middle ring single track
4,687 Posts
I don't need to explain anything, it's clearly not class I or II and falls outside of the forums rules which by the way I didn't write. Feel free to the admin if you feel wronged or slighted.
"Add-on motors, limit discussions to under 1000 watt varieties"

So maybe the Bafang USA Direct BBSHD is outside the "rules" by 1 watt but Luna Cycle is still selling the 750 watt version. Class 1 or Class 2? Depends how one installs the kit; leave off the throttle and *presto* Class 1. (That the Bafang cadence PAS is a POS is another story!)

FWIW these motor systems aren't terribly efficient; I suspect that on a dyno a BBSHD controlled at 1000 watts would likely be putting out less than 750 W.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.