Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, im somewhat new to the Passion form, but been arround for a little bit. I was wondering if anyone here is certified with the Barnett Bicycle Institute? Im looking to take EVERYTHING they have to offer, I have over 6 months BS experience, and plan on taking Tech2 BMC test, which would certify me as an "official" bike mechanic. Im just looking to get on the upper ledge when it comes to employment. I have been talking to them a little bit, and it would be about $2900.00 for 24 days of schooling. I would come out of there (if successful) having took and passed every one of their classes.

I know I have it in me to do this, more then anything its a "passion". Im 18 years old, and would love to further pursue my shop experiance.

What do you all think, good/bad? would an employer look at it and be impressed? Any comments will be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been there.

Hi Gramatica,

I went in April of '03. I took Bicycle Repair and Overhaul, Bicycle Size and Positioning, Managing the Service Department, and Selling Service. I had just started working at my first bike-shop job the week before. That said, I had been working on my own bikes since I was about 12 (around 30 years...). I had a great time and learned some really great techniques. I intend to go back for the suspension class and take the TECH2 exam when I have the time again. In fact, I'd go take the BRO again, if I could. Not that I missed anything, I just enjoyed it alot.

Have you been working in a bike shop for a while? They generally won't allow a someone to take the exam wihtout having the experience. If you have been working in a shop for a while, you probably don't really need to take the basic class (sorry, I can't remember the initials).

I cannot emphasize this enough: If you spend the money, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. There were guys in my class who decided to just go out and party every night. Then they had trouble concentrating on the class. I don't know what their scores from the workshops were, but I doubt that some of them did very well. Of course none of them took the big exam, so I guess it didn't matter that much to them. You can party on the weekend, and when you finish. You will be reading the manual completely, cover to cover over the two weeks of the BRO, along with the other classes you take. So your time during the week will be taken up with school.

Good luck and enjoy it. If you like to wrench on bikes, there's no experience like it.

Bob

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot, of course I would be taking this serously, and be competly happy doing so. Im mixed at the moment beween UBI or BBI both have their strrong points, and im confused. I would love any comments of both of the schools.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.