Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking delivery of Fuel EX 9.9 frameset this weekend and am swapping most gear from my Mojo SL. Have been looking for info on the bearings for the press-in BB95, and from what I've found it will take the bearings from my XTR externals and simply(?) press them into the frame. I've seen some of your builds with XTR cranks, but can find almost no data, videos, pics or anything for installing the BB or what bearings to order if I can't scavenge the unused XTR bearings (had King BB on Mojo). Haven't seen the frame firsthand either so I'm going into this a little blind, just want to get the ducks in a row and get the build done as soon as the forks are released early August.
I did find the Park Tools data on BB30's and it looks helpful for doing the deed, but not much for getting the right parts.
Thanks,

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol - perfect.
None of my other frames ever came with BB, so I kind of expected the same even with an odd system. Thanks again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
related question as I'm considering an xtr crank for my 09 ex 9.8....do I even need to buy the bottom bracket, or is it wasted $'s with the integrated bearings. And where do we get new bearings, if those do go to junk? The 09 came standard with the XT crank.

thnx,

mg

·
Registered
411 Posts
Enduro sells their bearings for the Madone frames and those will work in the BB95 frames. Like me ('10 Fuel Ex 8 with press-in bearings) you can just take your old XT cranks off and put the new XTR cranks in. I even know someone who will buy your XT cranks if you want to sell them (hint hint.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Frame in hand now

Well, the frameset did include he BB bearings and headset bearings, but the BB bearings are not installed. Zinn comments these are 'press in by finger' and mine aren't. Park Tool shows using a headset press for installing BB30/BB90 and this seems more likely in my instance. Also awaiting info regarding a drive-side spacer and washers that may or may not need to be used. The bearings included are Enduro's, btw: part # MR2437 LLB
Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Anyone know whether those enduro bearings MR2437 LLB are specific to either sram or shimano?

I have the same dilemma in building the 2011 Trek Remedy frame I just received.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I too got a 2011 Remedy 9.9 frame this week. I was told by Trek that the frame came with GXP bottom bracket bearings for SRAM cranks. I ordered a set of Enduro bearings and seals for Shimano cranks to run new XTRs (38-26). They weren't quite finger press in but I tapped them in with a block of wood and a hammer. For what its worth I couldn't tell the difference between the set of bearings I bought and the set that came with it. I'm pretty sure they had the same part number. I can check for sure tomorrow if you want. No spacers were needed at all to install the 2x10 cranks. Press the bearings in, put seals on the outside of each, slide the cranks through, tighten. Easy as pie. Did have a bit of an issue with the direct mount front derailleur though. The bolt that came with it wasn't long enough to reach the threads. A quick dip into a Wheels Manufacturing bolt box fixed that.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just looked at Enduro's website. Looks like the only difference is some additional washers and an insert for the bearing s for GXP cranks. There's even a little video showing how to switch from Shimano to GXP cranks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks! It makes sense that the 2011 9.9 remedy frame would come with gxp, since the complete bike comes with sram xx. But here's what's funny... The bearings (left & right) are the same. Same part number on them. I thought the ID of sram non drive side bb bearing was smaller than drive side. And that shimano had same size ID on both sides.

Am I off base?

I'm building 2 of these... One with sram xx, one with shimano xt triple.

Do you heavily grease the carbon bearing seats? This is my first exposure to trek bb95.

Regarding the front der bolt you had trouble with (too short): did that too short bolt come with the der, or with the frame? My frames did not appear to come with a front der mounting bolt. Assuming it will arrive with der.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
517 Posts
It looks like to me the GXP bearings are identical to the Shimano, the only difference is that little silver sleeve goes inside the non drive side. You can see it in the pics on Enduros website. I'm going to check today but I don't think that sleeve came with my frame in the parts bag. Like I said I'm not running SRAM cranks though so no biggie for me. The Enduro video shows them greasing the bearings. I didn't grease mine. But I may now. Have to check to see if there's some specific grease to use or not use with the carbon though.

Derailleur bolt came with the derailleur. The bolt has a split lock washer and a plain flat washer on it. If the washers weren't there the bolt would work but the washers cannot be removed so I just used a different bolt.

Another thought re: greasing the bearings. You can see on your new frames that Trek uses plenty of grease to install the headset cups. It looks like standard white bicycle grease. I can't see how the bottom bracket bearings would be any different.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks Shanem! Good advice. I found a sram bearing kit, with silver sleeve, at my local trek store today.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
My remedy 9.9 frame is arriving soon. This is good info. So, I am planning on XTR FC-M980 2x10 26/38. Just press the GXP BB into frame?

How about the headset that's included? Does it include crown race?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yep. Same cranks here. All you need are the two bearings and the outer seals. Pop those in, slide your cranks and in and tighten up.

Headset cups were pressed into my frame. Bearings, crown race, top race, top cap and bolt, and star nut were in parts bag.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I wouldn't use a block of wood / hammer to install those BBs. Especiallly on these high end frames!
If you dont want to spend the big buck$$ on the Park tool, make your own! I use a piece of 3/4" all-thread rod 12" long, four flat washers and three 3/4" hex nuts. all available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or your favorite hardware store.
I double up the washers on each side to reduce binding & provide a stable cup press surface.
1) Place two washers on one side, then double nut it and lock them together.
2) Slide the rod through the BB/frame, place two washers on the other side and thread on the nut on that side.
3) Carefully align your BB cups and begin to screw the nut down to press them into place. You'll need a wrench (or two) to complete the press.
Same process for your Headset.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I wouldn't use a block of wood / hammer to install those BBs. Especiallly on these high end frames!
If you dont want to spend the big buck$$ on the Park tool, make your own! I use a piece of 3/4" all-thread rod 12" long, four flat washers and three 3/4" hex nuts. all available at Home Depot, Lowe's, or your favorite hardware store.
I double up the washers on each side to reduce binding & provide a stable cup press surface.
1) Place two washers on one side, then double nut it and lock them together.
2) Slide the rod through the BB/frame, place two washers on the other side and thread on the nut on that side.
3) Carefully align your BB cups and begin to screw the nut down to press them into place. You'll need a wrench (or two) to complete the press.
Same process for your Headset.
If these bearings didn't go in so easily I wouldn't have use a block of wood. But they can almost be pressed in by hand and literally only require a slight tap to seat in the bb shell. Trust me I don't want to eff up my frame and wouldn't go after with a hammer if I didn't think it was okay

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread a little but can anyone advise me a good place (i.e. Best price) to get a 9.9 frame in mainland US? Struggling to find a place online. Any help appreciated. .
Thanks.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sorry to hijack this thread a little but can anyone advise me a good place (i.e. Best price) to get a 9.9 frame in mainland US? Struggling to find a place online. Any help appreciated. .
Thanks.
No place should be selling them online as Trek does not permit online sales. But any Trek dealer should be able to get you one.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Authorized Trek dealers are not allowed to sell online shipped. You can purchase online & pick up at Trek dealer. Your best bet is call ALL the authorized Trek dealers in your area for pricing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts