Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well because I work for retail I can get a good deal on the Hayes Stroker Trails. I was almost about to buy them but then I realized I had to buy mounting kits, rotors, bleed kits all extra. I didn't anticipate so I started looking else where, I ran into the BB7's.

I really like the idea of the maintenance for mechanical brakes and I am still a beginner. I feel like it is a much better idea for me to learn more about bikes before I start buying more complex equipment. I can get either of these for roughly the same price but with the BB7's I can order bling housing. :)

My question is: Is it a good idea or should I just buy the hydros? Also, who has BB7's and do you think they work good for an AM application?

Thank you!:thumbsup:

·
Blue Pig
1,553 Posts
I have bb7's, and man do they stop one a dime. Not sure about other brake systems but my bb7's have not failed on me in two rain pours in the mountains (Stupid weather channel). No squealing and no slippage, maybe other higher end brakes wont do it, I don't know. BB7's are really easy to set up as well. I still haven't had the need to replace the pads, either.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Blksocks said:
I have bb7's, and man do they stop one a dime. Not sure about other brake systems but my bb7's have not failed on me in two rain pours in the mountains (Stupid weather channel). No squealing and no slippage, maybe other higher end brakes wont do it, I don't know. BB7's are really easy to set up as well. I still haven't had the need to replace the pads, either.
x1 for bb7.... easy to fit, easy to adjust, works right every time. You cannot go wrong here.

John

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I'm glad I was leaning towards the BB7 anyways. My friend got stroker aces and those are sick as hell, but I doubted any comparison between the aces and the trails.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was also surprised at how cheap the bb7's are. My understanding was these are pretty much a top of the line mechanical brakes and at $90 for a set that ain't bad at all!

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
womble said:
You do realise that you also need to get levers to go with the calipers?
Yeah but the levers are cheap too.

I was not really a fan after trying BB7s a few years ago, but this summer I installed one on the front of a bike that had cantis on the back so I wanted mechanical on the front too and found that it worked really well after all. Then I switched out some Coda brakes that were worthless as a brake on my old Cannondale to my old set of BB7s and they are performing there too. So I'm not sure why I had a bad opinion back when but it was unfounded.

There is a bit of a weight penalty over light weight hydro brakes and I still like Saints on my big hit bikes but for the price and all it's hard to fault the 7s. Plus their adjustablility is amazingly flexible and makes mounting a breeze.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I hate the feel of mechanical disc brakes after using hydros. I suppose it's not an issue if you've never used a good hydro brake, but once you have you'll never want to go back. It's just so much smoother, easy 1 finger braking, and actual modulation instead of just on/off. You also don't have to worry about cable stretch and adjustment. Also, the resistance at the lever just feels weird to me after using hydros.

I know there are a lot of BB7 fans out there who think they're the best thing ever, and I'm happy they like them, but hydros were invented for a reason. If you get a set of good hydros and set them up right with a good bleed, they're awesome and maintenance free. You can get Shimano SLX brakes for $99 per wheel (with rotors), which are great brakes. Why go with BB7s?

Also, bleeding brakes isn't all that complicated if you're even the least bit mechanically inclined, especially with Shimano. I just replaced a brake line (was too short after moving to new bike) and did a full bleed on my brake the other day. I'd never done it before, yet it was pretty easy, even with the garbage instructions. It took awhile because I was starting with a new hose that didn't have any fluid in it, but the lever feels more solid than it ever has, which means I must have got most, if not all the air out of the system.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BaeckerX1 said:
You can get Shimano SLX brakes for $99 per wheel (with rotors), which are great brakes. Why go with BB7s?
Because I can get both wheels on BB7's for less than that. I just started biking last year and I really haven't learned the in's and out's of working on my bike. I think until I have a better knowledge I should stick with something easier to maintain.

And to the other guy yes I know I need levers too, I'm not that dumb haha.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Other thread:Good question.

BB7s are great brakes. Lets see...buy some cable cutters and one hex wrench and replace the cable and housing and pads once a year, save a heap of money because you have reliable brakes you can really do all the work yourself. Every 3 or 4 rides you might need to very simply spend 30 seconds adjusting the pad position.

Hayes Stroker Trails..torx wrench, hex wrench, 6mm ring spanner, brake fluid (needs to be new each bleed), bleed kit, new pads every now and again very easy to change.

Basically if you regularly ride down hills so steep you couldn't ride up them and you'd slip and slide trying to even walk up them or ride miles down hills and so put lots of heat into your brakes, or envision that you will in the next year or so, you might be better off with the power of the Strokers. Other than that they'd likely be bike bling.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have BB7 on my hardtail and they work excellent but I dont like the feel of the levers as much as hydro brakes. I have never used the stroker's you mention. You need to pull alot harder with the BB7 when braking fast then hydro's in my experience. Has never bothered me at all but 2 friends of mine complain of wrist pain or something along those lines and blame their mech brakes. never thought about it I always just called them out as sissys jokingly lol.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I have the Stroker Trails on my Endorphin and like them. They have good power, good modulation, and easy lever adjust.

BB-7 brakes are simple and powerful, and a good buy. I don't like their modulation, or lack thereof. They tend to be "on/off" and not much in between.

I ride lots of rocky, sketchy, loose trails in Arizona. Here, modulation trumps power. I'll take the Stroker Trails.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I rode BB7s for years and BB5s before those. I now ride Shimano SLX and Saint hydros.

There is no comparison in the amount of force I use to the braking power these brakes provide over either of those BB cable brakes. I have Carpal Tunnel and also arthritis in parts of my hands and wrists (from motocross), so save the debate "of cable is as good as hydro" as my hands tell the true tale. It's that simple.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.