Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't decide on mechanical or hydraulic.

I live in the midwest. Mostly XC riding. I weigh 150lbs with gear.

I consider myself an aggressive rider. Usually the first one downhill; last one uphill :D !

Bike is a Sugar with XTR front and X0 rear.

Currently using Single Seven V brakes.

How hard is it to bleed hydros? How much more stopping power on hydros versus mechs?

Anybody?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Avid BB7s are some of the best mechanicals on the market. Easy to use, great power, great modulation. Their performance is on par with some hydros out on the market.

Avid Juicy 7s are great hydraulics. The upsides are that the lever pull is easier, and you have greater power, and you don't have to worry so much about mud and grit filling up your housing.

The Juicy 7s are relatively easy to bleed, however, you do need their bleed kit.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
The mechs are very consistent, and hardly anybody has an issue with them. If you are not mechanically inclined (I mean wrenching, not mech vs hydro), then go for the mechs. They are very capable brakes.

The J7s are quite variable. Some love them, some hate them. I rode them for two years but then sold them. I loved most things about them, but they squealed too much when it was wet. I still run the Avid mechs on a few bikes. The mechs with a good set of levers offer all the adjustability and nearly all the feel that the Juicys do, minus 90% of the possible headaches. The Juicys are a touch more powerful in a given rotor size, but at 150# and riding xc, that is hardly an issue for you. You could put a 185 mech on the front and erase any power gap.

Bleeding the J's is pretty easy, but DOT fluid sucks nonetheless. I rarely had to bleed my J7s. Maybe annually. It is easier to get rid of pad rubbing on the mechs by far though.

If the question were "Avid Mechs vs Magura Louise", it would me the maggies all the way. As it is, I would lean towards the mechs, personally.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless you care about the weight difference, I'd go with the BB7's due to their ease of maintenance and adjustability. Drill out your cable stops so you can run full length cables, it really helps smooth out the action, and you won't have to worry about contamination from dirt.

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I've found the weight difference isn't significant (correct me if I'm wrong); I'm a borderline WW! :)

But yes, I'm also very interested in the ease of maintenance.

Drilling out the cable stops...hmmm. I may have to find another way on that...I am planning on using full cable housing just from what I've read about contamination and brake performance. I'm mechanically inclined but lack the finesse for something like that...do I have to worry about welds or anything if I drill them out?

Thanks!

·
-_-
4,749 Posts
Please don't be mad about the detour...

tscheezy said:
The J7s are quite variable. Some love them, some hate them. I rode them for two years but then sold them. I loved most things about them, but they squealed too much when it was wet.
*Try running different compound pads in the calipers. Foctory stuff is mostly sintered. I've found that if you use a mix of sintered and organic, the squealing stops a bit. :thumbsup:

*Basically, next time you need a padset, buy 1 sintered, and 1 organic, and just mix the padsets. After you begin to notice a bit more wear on one side of the rotor, just swap 'em front to back to even out the wear.

Cool??

**Side note: Check This Thread and lemme know...

·
pain don't hurt
162 Posts
BB7's are probably the best brake for the money. I've ridden Hayes HFX9's and Juicy 5's. My BB7's are more powerful than both. I'm running them with full length housing and Speed Dial levers (a must). The feel is very good, but not quite as good as the hydros. I thought the Juicy 5's have the best feel of the three, but are the least powerful.

I say go with the BB7's. Save your money for other upgrades; you can't go wrong with that brake. :thumbsup:

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
Nope, it never stops LOL!

I had BB7's with the Full Metal Jacket cables on my Liquid. Speed Dial levers. Fantastic setup. They are "low maintenance" but I wouldn't say less than my Hayes nines. With the Hydros you just ride until the pads need replacing. with the BB7s you need to keep the pads adjusted. Here in New England that was easy when it was dry, but when it was mucky, turning the knobs was a PITA. Because of that, they needed constant cleaning.

I loved my BB7s and now run Nines just because I have the option. Folks who rode the BB7/FMJ/Speed dial combo were blown away that they were mechs...but no one ever swapped from Nice hydros to mechs...and they were Dialed.

For the money BB7s can't lose.

·
Ride Everything
2,913 Posts
I can't get the modulation I want from my Hayes Nines, so I'm switching to BB7s and Speed Dial levers. I like to run my levers such that I can have my fingers on the levers and close to the bar, and I haven't been able to get my Nines to work that way.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
MileHighMark said:
I can't get the modulation I want from my Hayes Nines, so I'm switching to BB7s and Speed Dial levers. I like to run my levers such that I can have my fingers on the levers and close to the bar, and I haven't been able to get my Nines to work that way.
Even using the 2mm adjustment screw?

·
Brant-C.
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for the posts! I've got my setup and they are awesome! Took two downhills to get the brakes worn in! i did the install in less than an hour (adjusted and everything)!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.