Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched but found nothing on this topic.

I was thinking one of the very few things people complain about is the adjustments and how the inboard pad is stationary. I personally love the brakes and adjustments are easy but I have a bad habit of fixing what isn't broken.

I understand the amount of "float" isn't that great and using floating rotors would complicate the setup process but it's very doable.

It seems like this would eliminate side to side flexing of the rotor from having to bend to reach the inboard pad. It would also eliminate the slight change in brake feel in between adjustments. In fact this *should* give the brakes a whole new and better feel. You could go longer with no adjustments. I realize this would make the simple turning in of the adjustment knobs a more delicate procedure but it sounds like something that would be fun to try.

So has anyone used this combo before?

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Those "floating" rotors are solidly pinned. There is not any side to side movement. The point of those rotors is to isolate heat to the braking track, to reduce weight (can use an aluminum carrier), and the slight gap between the carrier and the braking track can allow for the expansion that occurs when heated. However, these rotors do not really float side to side. Even if they did, it would have to float a fairly substantial amount in order to prevent the rotor from being flexed over. It will NOT eliminate the side to side flex. It may be more difficult to flex the rotor though.

You will also have to worry about clearance issues. The carrier is pretty wide. The carrier or the riviets can contact the fork itself, the adapter, the CPS stack, or the caliper.

IRD makes a floating caliper that does not flex the rotor.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
BuickGN said:
It seems like this would eliminate side to side flexing of the rotor from having to bend to reach the inboard pad. ...this *should* give the brakes a whole new and better feel.
Flexing the rotor in is one of the primary advantages of tuning the BB7 brakes. If a floating rotor really did have enough side play to do as you imagined, I believe you'd eliminate a key modulation adjustment.

I have Formula R1 "floaters" paired with BB7s. The rotors don't have any significant side-to-side play, so still flex in when pressed.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
BuickGN said:
I searched but found nothing on this topic.

I was thinking one of the very few things people complain about is the adjustments and how the inboard pad is stationary. I personally love the brakes and adjustments are easy but I have a bad habit of fixing what isn't broken.

I understand the amount of "float" isn't that great and using floating rotors would complicate the setup process but it's very doable.

It seems like this would eliminate side to side flexing of the rotor from having to bend to reach the inboard pad. It would also eliminate the slight change in brake feel in between adjustments. In fact this *should* give the brakes a whole new and better feel. You could go longer with no adjustments. I realize this would make the simple turning in of the adjustment knobs a more delicate procedure but it sounds like something that would be fun to try.

So has anyone used this combo before?
Floating rotors work with BB7s but make no difference in the braking. I use them on one of my bikes purely for cosmetic reasons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.