Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building up a new bike, a 29er and I weigh quite a bit (6'5 -- 230lbs or so). I was planning 7" front 6" rear Hayes Stroker hydraulics. But the difference between a decent of hydraulics and BB7s is at least a couple $hundred as we know and will stretch the budget a little thin (sick bike, little food :) ). This will be my first personal high end bike.

I have always had BB7s on all of my bikes and been relatively happy but wanted to try hydraulics mostly because I have never had them though I have used them on bikes and they are quite a bit more powerful. I also already have a new BB7 7" front disk kit sitting around so the cost of a rear BB7 and a SD7 will be little.

I think if I went BB7 I'd probably want to go 8" front, 7" rear... (So I'd have to send back what I have). I am also slightly weight-weenieing out, if I went BB7 I would probably want to swap out the rotors but I am noticing significant variation on the rotors, a 7" is a 178, 180 or 185 rotor I'm noticing... Is there a better rotor I should specifically look for?

Or, should I ditch the BB7s and buck up and run the hydraulics...

Thoughts appreciated...

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
I would go hydro because of your build. I would also go 200/180.
The M770 XT are reasonable and powerful.

·
MTB Addict
830 Posts
You could get 203mm front and 185mm rear BB7s. Jenson has them for $68 and $64 respectively. A pair of SD7 levers is $26 at Jenson, or $20 at Tree Fort Bikes. I personally have no complaints with my BB7s, and if you've been happy with your other sets, I would say go for them. Much cheaper, as you said. The full set from Jenson (front, rear, levers) is just under $160.

·
Registered
160 Posts
dieselcruiserhead said:
I have always had BB7s on all of my bikes and been relatively happy but wanted to try hydraulics mostly because I have never had them though I have used them on bikes and they are quite a bit more powerful.
The BB7 is - with the same rotor size - at least as powerful as the expensive hydraulics like Juicy, Formula Oro, Louise etc. if you use the right brake cables, Speed Dial levers and better rotors than the roudagons, or better disc pads like Swissstop. I have installed them with the Full Metal Jacket, Avid sintered pads and Alligator serrated rotors - extremely powerful combination!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
comptiger5000 said:
You could get 203mm front and 185mm rear BB7s. Jenson has them for $68 and $64 respectively. A pair of SD7 levers is $26 at Jenson, or $20 at Tree Fort Bikes. I personally have no complaints with my BB7s, and if you've been happy with your other sets, I would say go for them. Much cheaper, as you said. The full set from Jenson (front, rear, levers) is just under $160.
Or if you want 203mm rotors front and rear, get Jenson to price match with beyondbike's $46 for each caliper and $15 for the levers.

Tim

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I switched two of my bikes over from Hayes Hydraulics (one Mag, one HFX 9) to BB7s and I quite like the BB7s. They perform well, both in terms of stopping power and modulation. So, if I were you, I'd stick with the BB7s. I think that a 7 inch front rotor and 6 inch rear rotor will give you ample stopping power.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.