Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new BB7 brakes on my jabber build. Saturday I took her around the block for the test ride.
The only issue I have is that the brakes squealed quite a bit. I'm assuming this is just new brake noise and once everything gets settled that should be gone?

I'm going to try to get a longer ride in this evening if it's not raining.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just installed a new set of 160mm BB7's on the front of my bike to replace the Hayes MX2's that were on there. The front HOWL like a m-f'er :mad:. The rears are quiet but not grabbing like I wish they would. So this is what i've been doing for a while....:madman:

I am very meticulous when it comes to my bike and took every precaution to ensure a "perfect" install, from levers, cables, and so on. I actually managed to make the fronts not howl for a day, however after swapping skewers, the howling is back. I've even removed everything and reinstalled everything not to exclude cleaning the brake pads with 90% Iso Alcohol. So, i'm not sure what i'm going to do for the time being, maybe :madman: some more.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I just rode mine up and down the block and the howl was not to bad. Not nearly as bad as my ceramic rims were when they were new. My rear was silent and the front not loud at all. If it stays like this and fades away, I'll be a happy man. Braking seems fine. I have them adjusted so the XT lever comes halfway to the bar.

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Just give it some time. Brakes take alot longer to break in than you would hope. Mine took a while until they started performing how I thought they should. Then, they just kept getting better. I'm running a BB7 on the front of my commuter, with a cheapo Tektro on the rear, and since they have both broken in, they work really good. Be very patient though.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
BB7 Howl

Ive been riding bb7s on my rockhopper for about 4 months now and every now and again especally after it rains I will get a howl or a sgueal just clean your rotors once a week(depends how much you ride) with alcahol and this should keep everything happy! and yes after you clean the rotors the first 2 ot 3 stops will make a little noise. Heck even my Juicys do it on my prophet!

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
"Just give it some time. Brakes take alot longer to break in than you would hope."

Brakes take ten minutes to break in to the point where they'll bite, then they'll find their best within a few miles on the trail. It shouldn't be a wait until you have properly functioning brakes - unless something is a miss, there's no reason why your first ride on new brakes should be spoiled by under-performance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I installed BB7s up front a couple months back, and in the past week added the back to my GF Sugar I ride a couple times a week.
My experience with both installs was that it took a couple of rides for them to really start biting like I expected.
BTW, right in the instructions it states 30-40 on/off brake applications to seat the pads to best effect. Give it a little time. I've had no noise issues though. Great improvement.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
If the squeals don't go away after a reasonable break-in period, you might double check your pad spacing. I don't recall exactly what Avid says in their instructions, but I have found what works best is to set the pads so that one hits the rotor slightly before the other. This adds a small amount of tension and will cause the rotor to flex a bit during braking which may help dampen or even eliminate the vibrations.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
SteveUK said:
"Just give it some time. Brakes take alot longer to break in than you would hope."

Brakes take ten minutes to break in to the point where they'll bite, then they'll find their best within a few miles on the trail. It shouldn't be a wait until you have properly functioning brakes - unless something is a miss, there's no reason why your first ride on new brakes should be spoiled by under-performance.
+ 1 This matches my experience.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well, it must be my reward for clean living but I just go out for my first ride and the noise was gone half way through my 15 mile ride. Then, one little squeak when I got back to my driveway. No big deal on the setup; BB7's, 160 rotors on BWW Pure hubs with Mavic niner rims, and standard cables. They work like a dream. 100% improvement over my ceramic rim brakes which never completely stopped howling.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been riding the BB7s for a couple of months now and last night noticed the squeak was back. Not when really braking, more when just slowing on the flats.

Could be dirty, not sure...I'll be pulling it apart for a good cleaning/adjustment this evening to take a look.

I have noticed on the one long downhill on my weekly loop that they don't seem to be grabbing like they used to so maybe it's dirty or needs adjustment.

Has anyone gone to a different rotor with the bb7s? if so why and what difference have you seen?

Thanks

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
rzims said:
Has anyone gone to a different rotor with the bb7s? if so why and what difference have you seen?

Thanks
Alligator Windcutters. Love 'em. Light. Powerful. Light. IMO - cool looking. Light. And only about $16 - $20 per rotor. Did I mention light....?:D

No loss in braking power. No squealing. So good, that I dropped down in size from 180mm front and rear that I ran last season (Windcutters) to 160mm front/140mm rear for this season on both bikes.

BB

·
Advanced Slacker
15,579 Posts
STACK said:
If the brakes are making noise, then their making u go slower! We shouldnt have to deal with this kind of thing for the money we spend. Friction is BAD, makes u go SLOW. We Hate brake noises.
He's talking about the brakes squealing while he's braking, when friction IS good. BTW, v's can do the same thing.

Stack: Quit moaning and learn how to set up your f-ing brakes!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.