Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe some of you guys have seen the memo that sram recently sent out stating that they acknowledge that their breaks squeak. I own BB7s' my self. My breaks used to not squeak. Now they squeak like mad. I have heard of getting a pinch of dirt and dropping it in between the break pad and rotor which stops the noise but I have not tried it. I know my rotor is not contaminated. Plus my wheels sometimes make a wretched sound when say Im carrying my bike on my shoulder and the wheel turns slowly on its own, I hear a horrible creaking noise that I suspect is coming from the breaks. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
another thing is that I had my rotors tightened for the first time before I went riding and noticed the noise my breaks were making. Does any one know if this could be a possible cause for the noise?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
six foot sloth said:
Plus my wheels sometimes make a wretched sound when say Im carrying my bike on my shoulder and the wheel turns slowly on its own, I hear a horrible creaking noise that I suspect is coming from the breaks. Any thoughts?
You may have your pads too close to the rotor to get squeaking while carrying your bike on your shoulder and the wheel rotates. Or you have a warped rotor (check to make sure they are true and if not, true them up). Dial the red knobs so t he pads sit out enough to get no "squeak or creak" when the wheel rotates with the brake not being applied.

Did you set up the calipers and the CPS bolts correctly?

SRAM/AVID video here:

Word for word set-up/tuning here:

http://www.twowheelblogs.com/avid-bb7-disc-brake-set-and-tuning

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
six foot sloth said:
Maybe some of you guys have seen the memo that sram recently sent out stating that they acknowledge that their breaks squeak. I own BB7s' my self. My breaks used to not squeak. Now they squeak like mad. I have heard of getting a pinch of dirt and dropping it in between the break pad and rotor which stops the noise but I have not tried it. I know my rotor is not contaminated. Plus my wheels sometimes make a wretched sound when say Im carrying my bike on my shoulder and the wheel turns slowly on its own, I hear a horrible creaking noise that I suspect is coming from the breaks. Any thoughts?
I am not surprised that broken BB7s would be noisy.

My BB7s do make the odd sound mow and then, as all brakes can.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Slurry said:
If your brakes are making noise to the point that you are not happy what else could it be but something on the pads. Avid might just be saying that they make some noise sometimes; if you are still not happy with them try sanding the pads I did on my brakes and there good to go but if you just used a rotor cleaner and the noise started after that give them more time in fact take some downhill runs hloding the brakes a little because semi metallic pads take heat to get broke in.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
six foot sloth said:
ANOTHER QUESTION. when dialing in the calibers for micro adjusting how many clicks do the pads move, Im thinking 3-5.
I have no clue what you are asking here.

Any disc brake will "squeak" if the rotors are not true, the CALIPERS are not aligned properly and the pads not adjusted correctly. There are many threads on this board on how to properly setup BB7s.

Last weekend I was having a noise with my rear BB7 because the inner pad was too far from the rotor and the outer pad too close. A few clicks of the red dials completely fixed it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea, every thing is set up right. I sanded my rotors and it helped the breaking noise. But now I found another problem. even though my beak pads are aligned properly and spin freely when the bike is on a rack, I find that when Im riding my bike and lean to the left side my pads strike my rotor. Im confused because my rotor is pretty true and a good distance from the pads. It must mean my wheel moves when weight is applied from one side. Another think is I found a small chip on one of my front break pads, will this have any negative affect on my breaking?

·
Registered
95 Posts
six foot sloth said:
yea, every thing is set up right. I sanded my rotors and it helped the breaking noise. But now I found another problem. even though my beak pads are aligned properly and spin freely when the bike is on a rack, I find that when Im riding my bike and lean to the left side my pads strike my rotor. Im confused because my rotor is pretty true and a good distance from the pads. It must mean my wheel moves when weight is applied from one side. Another think is I found a small chip on one of my front break pads, will this have any negative affect on my breaking?
What you could try about your rotor is sit on the bike so it has load and then get someone to true everthing up while you are on it. As for your ding to the pad; replace it to be safe. It really stinks when your pads contact the rotor from riding but everything will flex at some point.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
six foot sloth said:
The rubbing while riding could be from play in your hubs, maybe fork flex/slop or frame flex. Are your skewers tightened properly? If your pads are chipped could mean your pad isn't lined up with your rotor correctly, if it's a big chip or continues to chip away replace it, but I'd probably get as much life out of it as seems appropriate (can't see what you got going on, though).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bikinfoolferlife said:
The rubbing while riding could be from play in your hubs, maybe fork flex/slop or frame flex. Are your skewers tightened properly? If your pads are chipped could mean your pad isn't lined up with your rotor correctly, if it's a big chip or continues to chip away replace it, but I'd probably get as much life out of it as seems appropriate (can't see what you got going on, though).
Yea everything is normal and I cannot figure it out. as far as play goes I have play in my rear suspension (need to replace its bushings). But hub and skewers are good. I will mess with my pad/rotor alignment and see if I can fit the problem again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.