Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Suffers From Binge Biking
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain what the difference is between the road and mountain versions of Avid's BB7s? The Avid site doesn't really mention what the difference is. Has anyone here ever even seen a road bike equipped with disc brakes?

·
Registered
350 Posts
some cycolcross bikes use discs, cometetive tri and road racers cant use them because rules sanction against them for safety reasons.

iirc the difference is that mtb versions work with levers designed for v-brakes, and the road ones = canti's. the amount the cable is pulled by the lever determines what ratio brake force is applied with.

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Somebody...

General Hickey said:
I'm curious, what would those safety reasons be?
... might be in danger of winning by actually having brakes that still work in mud and wet.

They allow disc brakes in the lower classes, but not the more compeditive classes, so actual safety has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, welcome to the mind of the UCI.

As they say, you know it works because the UCI banned it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
pimpbot said:
... might be in danger of winning by actually having brakes that still work in mud and wet.

They allow disc brakes in the lower classes, but not the more compeditive classes, so actual safety has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, welcome to the mind of the UCI.

As they say, you know it works because the UCI banned it.
Yeah, I didn't want to say it, but I suspected as much.

·
Suffers From Binge Biking
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, you all just saved me from making a wrong choice :thumbsup: Looking at the two now, I hadn't even noticed the different position of the actuating arm between road and mountain.

·
Registered
350 Posts
i think it was something to do with the idea that it could be used as a weapon to slice a person infront of yous' leg, accidental or not. just easier to ban them all together and not worry about the details later. but to be honest, i dont know all that much about road biking, just the fact that some sanctions do not allow discs.,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.