Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in love with the new Flash Carbon 29er, but I don't want the gears. What options are out there for EBB in BB30? I'd like to buy the complete bike then swap the parts I don't need. Buying the frame and lefty by themselves is already approaching full bike cost.

Thanks.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If I understand the original question, it is not about an bb30 ss crank, but rather about an ebb that fits inside of the bb30 frame - a way to tension the chain on a non single-speed specific bb30 frame, such as the carbon Flash. I assume that if such a thing existed, you could use a standard bb/ss crank with it. I don't have any info on that, but I would be interested to know if such a thing is possible.

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
When the Flash 29er carbon was first announced I spoke to C'dale about running it rigid and single speed.

Their reply: Never tested for the additional force of rigid and SS only and they couldn't warranty any frame run this way because it had never been tested to withstand the torque of SS riding or the stress of no suspension.

Not saying it cannot be done but you'll need a good relationship with your LBS if you decide to do it. ;)

I also asked them if they had plans to develop the carbon Flash as a SS..they said "No".

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
This one is easy!
1. Build a new rear wheel with a White Industries eccentric hub.
2. Replace front chainrings with one single speed specific chainring.
3. Remove derailleurs and shifters - sell on Ebay.

As far as driver bob's comments abourt Cannondale not honoring the warranty, I think the rigid fork is the thing that worries them, not running a single gear. Single speeding in itself should not cause any problems and the original post implied using the Lefty fork and not running a rigid fork.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
one of the local teams is running an EBB30, it is custom machined by one of the guys on the team. not sure if they are willing to share them but they have been running them for the whole CX season on C-dales cross bikes and a Spec Tricross with BB30

·
Registered
368 Posts
scooter916 said:
one of the local teams is running an EBB30, it is custom machined by one of the guys on the team. not sure if they are willing to share them but they have been running them for the whole CX season on C-dales cross bikes and a Spec Tricross with BB30
Very interesting! Would like to know more if possible!

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
I don't know if the teambeer insert will work with a carbon Flash.

From what I understand the bearing retainer "circlips" cannot be removed from the carbon frame and I don't know if the TB insert bolts will clear the lip.

·
Registered
424 Posts
MarkJ70 said:
If I understand the original question, it is not about an bb30 ss crank, but rather about an ebb that fits inside of the bb30 frame - a way to tension the chain on a non single-speed specific bb30 frame, such as the carbon Flash. I assume that if such a thing existed, you could use a standard bb/ss crank with it. I don't have any info on that, but I would be interested to know if such a thing is possible.
Looks like Phil Wood just came out with one. And no I don't work for them and I haven't used one (yet?).

http://www.philwood.com/products/bbpages/eccentric.php

"Our HL30 eccentric also provides 1/4" of eccentricity. The inner diameter of the HL30 shell is 47mm - slightly larger than our half-link eccentric. It is produced in both 68 and 73mm widths. The HL30 provides more versatility than the other eccentrics. In addition to the standard functions of an eccentric, it will accept bearings for BB30 cranks. These press fit bearings have a dynamic basic load rating of over 50% greater than the standard BB30 bearings used today. (Note that when using the bearings for the BB30 cranks, the bottom bracket no longer functions as an eccentric and may require a chain tensioner.)"

·
Dirty South Underdog
1,733 Posts
captain-beer said:
Information can be found at : http://teambeer.info/?page_id=406

im currently building a carbon mtb that is BB30 and will feature the stated eccentric. Pics will be posted there after.
Would the EBB30 work in an Air9 Carbon? I've been dreaming of how awesome that'd be.

·
So. Cal XC Rider
6 Posts
Ventana's 29er single speed El Comandante has a tension adjustment at the rear dropouts. Originally meant for installing belt drive. Anyway EBB not required. For an extra $200 ish they will put a PF30 shell on it so you could run BB30 cranks with the right Bottom Bracket. Just the idea I thought of when I read this thread. I bet it would work though.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
When the Flash 29er carbon was first announced I spoke to C'dale about running it rigid and single speed.

Their reply: Never tested for the additional force of rigid and SS only and they couldn't warranty any frame run this way because it had never been tested to withstand the torque of SS riding or the stress of no suspension.

Not saying it cannot be done but you'll need a good relationship with your LBS if you decide to do it. ;)

I also asked them if they had plans to develop the carbon Flash as a SS..they said "No".
I know this is an old post but this sounds ridiculous. What Cannondale is essentially saying is that the bike was only tested for riders that maintain a high cadence, it would not be able to withstand the forces of a heavy dude that likes to put it in the big ring and grind it out.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The BB30 bearings maybe stronger for more loading but just remember, the bearing placement in the BB shell is narrower than the typical old school out board bearings.

This means that more force is put on the BB30 bearings during a crank revolution due to an increase moment arm force.

Engineering 102 will tell you that the moment arm principle will come into play here.

Know if someone would come out with a typical english thread BB 68/73 using the bb30 bearing you'd have something to be excited about.

Mojo

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.