Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a brand new Phobia frame, and putting a brand new Race Face BB into it, and at one point, the BB gets really tough to thread in. Should I force it? What would you recommend to do? Also, where can I go to get a BB rethreading tool to chase the threads?

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
sonyisdope said:
I am building a brand new Phobia frame, and putting a brand new Race Face BB into it, and at one point, the BB gets really tough to thread in. Should I force it? What would you recommend to do? Also, where can I go to get a BB rethreading tool to chase the threads?
If I can't get a bottom bracket to thread in using just my hands turning the adapter tool (no wrench or driver), with nothing but light oil on the threads, I'll take it to the shop to get it chased. "Forcing it" is a relative term, and is going to mean different things to different people, so my advice is play it safe and take it in.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First, not to imply that you may not know better, but are you familiar with the correct threading on a bottom bracket? The drive side cup is REVERSE threaded (as in lefty tighty, righty loosey), while the non-drive side is regular. This could be the source of the difficulty.

That said, those Phobia frames are pretty inexpensive, so there's a good chance that the bottom bracket threads were not cut incredibly well. If you're threading the bottom bracket in correctly, bring it down to your local shop and have the threads tapped/cut (and have them face the bottom bracket while their at it).

Sean

sonyisdope said:

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shizzle said:
The drive side cup is REVERSE threaded (as in lefty tighty, righty loosey), while the non-drive side is regular. This could be the source of the difficulty.

Sean
Yeah, I am familiar with that. Where can I get a tool to re-thread the shell myself?

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Most of those chasing tools are expensive.

sonyisdope said:
Yeah, I am familiar with that. Where can I get a tool to re-thread the shell myself?
We have a Park model we use at the shop, and it's crazy expensive--not a home tool purchase, normally. That oriental company, Hozan, makes a set about half the price, but you're still looking at about $400-$500. Just the 2 English thread taps for doing your bike retail for about$350-$400 from Park, and that's without any holding or alignment tool. It's not unusual for even a high quality bike to need chasing occassionally.

·
Registered
92 Posts
sonyisdope said:
Don't bother. That tool is well over $300 for the Park model. You will use it maybe 5 times in your lifetime... just pay your LBS $20 or a case of Newcastle to do it for you. You will save so much money that way. Frame tools are not really consumer tools. You won't ever get your money's worth out of them. I know people who own shops who haven't gotten theri money's worth out of some of these tools.

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
russw19 said:
Don't bother. That tool is well over $300 for the Park model. You will use it maybe 5 times in your lifetime... just pay your LBS $20 or a case of Newcastle to do it for you. You will save so much money that way. Frame tools are not really consumer tools. You won't ever get your money's worth out of them. I know people who own shops who haven't gotten theri money's worth out of some of these tools.
Well, I'm going to take it to my LBS, but just for the record, I would buy that tool if I had the money. I just like having tools.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
For me, just for the record...

sonyisdope said:
Well, I'm going to take it to my LBS, but just for the record, I would buy that tool if I had the money. I just like having tools.
if I had the money, I hire lackeys to ride my bike up the hills so I could ride it down...LOL! Just pulling your leg. Tools are nice, but that particular setup is outa sight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.