Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a tricky question but how about the torque amount on the BB cups into the frame?

Don´t got a torque wrench for the job, got the Pedros wrench with tool for BB cup.

Is it easy to torque this to hard and cause damage to the thread in the frame?

Heard about this one guy that didn´t pull it up tight enough, wich cause it to wiggle and destroy the thread that way!

Thanks for tips and tricks!

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Before I got a torque wrench to gauge just how well I was doing, I tended to undertorque things like bb cups and crank arms and overtorque smaller bolts. Once I used a torque wrench for a while, I was better able to gauge what I was doing when I wasn't using a torque wrench. My brother's a master auto mechanic and has an incredible feel for torque, but came with years of experience.

I don't think you have to worry too much about overtorquing your cups, 30-35 ft lbs is a fair amount of torque, unless you're possessed of gorilla like strength and are using a long handled wrench. Ideally you have a foot long wrench and can accurately apply 30-35 lbs of force...but YMMV.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can pick up a cheapy beam-style torque wrench for under $20 if you look around (either locally or online)... I usually torque to 35 ft-lbs using one no problem. If you overtorque you run the risk of stripping the bottom bracket shell and/or cup threads, especially if they are dissimilar materials (i.e. steel frame and aluminum cups).

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I meant what I said, 30-35 ft lbs, not 30-35 Newton meters. 30 ft/lbs = 360 in/lbs or 35 ft/lbs = 420 in/lbs, both commonly within the range of recommended torque for many bb cups.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.