Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went out for a quick ride this evening and upon turning into my driveway, just pedaled barkward for the hell of it, and noticed something didnt feel right. sure enough, when spun by hand, the cranks are not hard to spin, but definatly not spinning freely. Is this most likely a bottom bracket issue? if so, how would I go about correcting it?

BB is a raceface evolve fr, the crank is a raceface evolve dh

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
Depends on how old it is.

If it's new, then it's probably normal. Mine did that when new.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You just loosen the BB cups. I have the RF Evolve XC on my bike and I'm having the same issue, kind of seems like it is coming from the cassete(sp?) though.

·
Banned
1,555 Posts
You're hub probably needs rebuilt. When you pedal backwards, the derailleur shouldn't move.

·
Registered
619 Posts
loosening will do nothing. all modern bb's and headsets and wheels and such are sealed. to you cant adjust how the bearings are rolling... its good and its bad. mostly good. so give it time and you'll be fine

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are you sure? the sealed bearings on my cross country bike will spin less freely if the nuts on the hubs are made too tight. im assuming a bottom bracket is similar in construction to a wheel hub and figure that its held in by something that screws down on the bearing, otherwise it would just fall out once the crank arms are removed.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
japollner said:
yea, its new. probably about 100 miles on the bike so far.

how does one loosen a bottom bracket? headsets and bottom brackets are all greek to me.

<----hasnt done tons of bike work...has friends who enjoy beer.
Loosen the BB cups just a HAIR and try again. Non-drive side is regular thread, drive side is reverse threaded.

Cartridge bearings shouldn't bind when tightened, but it happens. Poor quality bearings/construction. I never did have good luck with those Race Face Evolve FR BBs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.