Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent really focused enough on getting chainlines setup correctly untill I picked up a Corsair Maelstrom. This bike really seems to want a perfect chainline to keep the idler pulley happy. Last night I stripped the drive chain down again, getting sick of this routine, to remove a 2mm spacer from the drive side which meant I had to add to the non drive side. This has helped alot but I may go single ring up front to really get the best performance and it seems like I would need to take the last 2mm spacer out to allow the full range of rear casette. It seems nuts that I would then have to run all three spacers on the non drive side which would also feel crap on the pedals, so I was wondering if I could cut /modify the plastic sleeve between the BB cups? I noticed there are 3 rings on the sleeve and I was wondering what these are for and for that matter what is the sleeve actualy doing in there? Sorry for the noob question but in the last 4 years of working on my bike I have never had to look seriously into this.:confused:

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
What kind of BB are you using? The sleeve between the cups is usually just a dust seal so modifying it won't get you where you want to be..

·
Roll on Spring Time!
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am such an idiot. I was pretty pissed off last having to strip and adjust things again. I had my first idler issue last week and turns out to be 3 times in one ride on commited lines. So the new roller arrives and it just didnt seem like an improvement but only made the chain line more important. Strip down last night, new roller looks like hell after one ride, and install one off the original style spares and tweak the chainline.
I had the info in the original post running through my head and while walking around the yard at work it dawns on me that what I had in mind is rediculous cause the width of the BB has to be set for the length of the crank spindle. I was pretty much asking if I could reduce the width between BB cups so I could run less spacers. The dust seal would have to be modified but non of this is valid since I was thinking inside a box and forgot the length of the crank spindle.

Sorry to waste you time.

Riding the bike around the yard to make sure it is all set for the trail and it feels alot better with current chain line and original idler. I still think it would have a better chain line for a single ring set up if I could remove the last spacer and a 1mm spacer form the non drive side. With a single ring up front it looks like it would work best with a 11-28 casette.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
Meh, getting that chainline dialed can be a pain for sure. I had all kinda issues with my last set of cranks. Just gotta find the right combination sometimes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.