Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

BB* Ruth - my 650B conversion

2576 Views 16 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  lovemonkey
*baby bear
adj. - when something is "just right." Not too hot or too cold, not too big or too small, etc.
- the urban dictionary

I started what would be the last major "upgrade" I'll be doing to this frame, in early September. I spent so much on just the wheelset that I probably won't be mail ordering anything again in a looong time :rolleyes:

Introducing my BB Ruth. Probably the first 650B conversion in the Philippines ;)

See less See more
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Initial ride impressions

Prior to the Baby Bear conversion, I did a 69er on this frame. Compared to that, the 650B in front felt a "tad" less "rollover-able" (just made up that word for lack of a better term). It could be the wheel size, or it could just be the steeper head angle and resulting smaller trail. I dunno...
I could also feel small road/trail stuff more on the 650B (could be psychological or just tire pressure :rolleyes: ).
On the back, the 650B was definitely better than the 26er in terms of not feeling like it was hanging up. Balance is good :)
Pedaling generally felt heavier; not sure if it was actual weight or rolling resistance (had a 29" SB8 and a 26" Nanoraptor previously) or very slightly taller effective gearing.

IIRC (need to measure again), BB height is up to 12.75". It didn't feel as towering the first time I rode it as when I did the 69er. Steering is sooo much better than the 69er (sluggish to the point of being floppy).

I hope to get in a decent trail ride by next week (pending any typhoons or viral infections) and share more thoughts.

In a nutshell so far: likin' it! :thumbsup:
See less See more
tire clearance

Oops! Forgot these:

seat stays

chain stays

'got about 2-3mm clearance on the edges :eekster:
I can't afford to taco the rear wheel, but at least it's ridable as it is (and I trust the wheel builder's work). And I don't ride in mud anyway ;)

Frame is a Schwinn Moab 3 (circa 2000???).
See less See more
What size is that frame?

Keep an eye out for used Homegrowns as they will mirror your current bike's geometry, but the chainstay yoke on the Homegrowns should provide more tire clearance.
Cool bike! You are a world leader!

Pretty tight tire clearance at the chainstays, tighter them my Mojo with 2.3 Neo's. It has only been a problem if the wheel goes out of true. Carry a good spoke wrench with you, I've needed to use it a couple times on the trail in a year and a half due to neglect of preventative maintenance of spoke tightness and once due to wheel sucking a derailleur (I guess your SS bike won't have that problem!).
MMcG said:
What size is that frame?

Keep an eye out for used Homegrowns as they will mirror your current bike's geometry, but the chainstay yoke on the Homegrowns should provide more tire clearance.
I think it's a 17.5".
Thanks for the info.
derby said:
Cool bike! You are a world leader!

Pretty tight tire clearance at the chainstays, tighter them my Mojo with 2.3 Neo's. It has only been a problem if the wheel goes out of true. Carry a good spoke wrench with you, I've needed to use it a couple times on the trail in a year and a half due to neglect of preventative maintenance of spoke tightness and once due to wheel sucking a derailleur (I guess your SS bike won't have that problem!).
Thanks for the kind words and tip! :thumbsup: :cool:
Awesome. I have a rigid 650b homie! I have similar clearance on the back of my monocog, so you probably win the sexy bike competition.
The other option would be to put one of the narrower 650b knobbies now available in the back. The QuasiMoto, the Fire XC, the NeoMoto 2.1 or the Kenda Nevegal 2.1 would all be good choices...
R1Gel, did you know that the Neo-Moto was originally named the Baby Bear? I never knew the term's meaning until your OP.
Cracked Headtube said:
R1Gel, did you know that the Neo-Moto was originally named the Baby Bear? I never knew the term's meaning until your OP.
Ye. That's where I got the idea :thumbsup:
R1gel,

I expect to have my 650B Wanga project up within a few days. Im just waiting for the rims and tires I ordered. How are you rocking the Blunts/Moto combination? Lets have a 650B ride sometime. Maarat?
Can you tell me the length from the axle to the bridge and the width at the tape on your stays? I'm trying to measure some frames, and this looks like just about the bare minimum for clearance, and should give me a good idea of what I can squeeze a 650b into.
lovemonkey said:
Can you tell me the length from the axle to the bridge and the width at the tape on your stays? I'm trying to measure some frames, and this looks like just about the bare minimum for clearance, and should give me a good idea of what I can squeeze a 650b into.
I re-measured using just a steel tape, and the axle to bridge is 360mm. I since removed the clear tape so I can't re-measure those. And even though I measured and re-measured countless times before I got the wheels/tires, I can't quite remember the actual width. Sorry. As well as I can remember, the width at the tape edge nearer the bridge was either 58 or 56mm. That ruled out getting the Neo for the rear as neither the 2.1 or 2.3 would fit. I used Shiggy's measurements for reference.
HTH

PS
The tape edge near the bridge was an estimate of where the widest part of the tread would be on the 650B tires. I guess I got it pretty spot on :p
Thanks for checking, and thanks for the link to Shiggy's site. I'm trying to see if I can fit a quasi in my FS frame.
lovemonkey said:
Thanks for checking, and thanks for the link to Shiggy's site. I'm trying to see if I can fit a quasi in my FS frame.
No worries. 'hope it works out for you.
Just curious, what frame are you testing?
r1Gel said:
No worries. 'hope it works out for you.
Just curious, what frame are you testing?
I'm trying a Raleigh Phase. It's going to be close, the bridge is shaped in such a way that it goes from 70mm to 53mm in one step, no curve or anything.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts