1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ML bottom bracket seems dead.

1. How do I know it's done for good?

2. What are my replacement options?

·
Human Test Subject
1,332 Posts
I destroyed every BB I had until I got a Chris King. When I destroy this one it'll be covered by a warranty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put the Race Face’s DH X-type about two months after getting my bike. The stock one seized up. I've had zero issues since I put it in about a year ago. Very reasonably priced as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Another vote for Chris King, it's what I have on my Moonlander. It and the grease injection tool were well worth the cost!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I killed my stock bottom bracket in 6 months, replaced it with a Chris King. I went with the King because it's going on a bike that is going to see any and all conditions, I wanted one that I could easily maintain and fix if needed.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have King on my SS and thought the regressing feature would be good on my Fattie as it sees ocean beach duty.

Although my King BB on the SS has been developing creeks.

·
Vagician
295 Posts
Enduro makes several high quality options for that. I put in an enduro creamic and it has outlasted my expectations by far. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
98 Posts
For how fat bikes are used - what is needed is a positive grease pressure setup like on a boat axle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I destroyed the stock BB from my 2013 Moonlander. One of the cups is completely destroyed so I bought the Shimano Saint BB. The Thread fits but the cups are too short. So what are the options in 2016, besides the original (Surly part# CR8629)?
I looked up the Chris King one, but that looks like it also has the short cups, similar to the Shimano ones.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
MaxTheCyclist.com
666 Posts
I kind of want a Chris King BB on my Pugsley... But I know Surly upgraded the OD BB to "Enduro Labyrinth Bearings." How good are these bearings, and is there any real reason to replace the stock BB?

My use includes long-distance touring in remote areas. Reliability is my only metric.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts